997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009 | 02:21 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

There is a big difference between having A/C and GPS Nav.

Without A/C it can become almost unbearable in the car when driven at normal speeds. That is actually a hazard as one's concentration will be down due to lack of comfort.
If I don't have GPS Nav and get lost I will end up needing to drive some more. Oh, so I will have to drive a GT3 more than I planned. Damn, life must suck for me, then.

For me part of the appeal of the GT3 is that it is so inaccessible. That I need to make compromises to have it. That it's not just about tossing a pile of cash at the dealer and having the fanciest toy. If I wanted to display my spending abilities I'd buy another car.

I guess, I am a GT3 elitist.
Old 07-30-2009 | 02:25 PM
Mikla
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
There seems to be a holier-than-thou attitude from some GT3 owners about the car being built only for a 'special' group of hardcore track junkies. And that unless you buy one fully stripped out and take it to the track, you're somehow a poseur.

I've got news for you guys - the GT3 is a STREET car, not a race car. It's not even a track car. It has a/c, power windows, air bags, crush zones, PSM, PASM, sound insulation, carpets... And most owners who wouldn't dream of 'corrupting' their GT3 by adding nav, will still add leather on the dash for some strange reason.

Now, I fully understand the benefits of low weight. I drive a 996 RS, buckets, plastic rear window and all. I get it. But it's my daily road car, it's not a track car (although I do track it on rare occasion). For that reason I put rear speakers in back, which the factory takes out of the 996 RS, and I added a Dension iPod kit. And I'm very glad my car has a/c, power windows and carpets because that way it's pleasant to use daily on the road. I have 20k miles of almost exclusively street use on my car and I've loved every minute of them.

Why did I not just buy a C2S instead? Because the GT3 has a hardcore, connected feel that the non-GT cars simply cannot match. No matter what speed I'm going, even just idling, sitting tight in those buckets my GT3 provides the visceral, mechanical experience that I crave. And when conditions allow, it can bare its teeth and behave somewhat feral. All the time remaining a perfectly usable daily road car.

If you are buying your GT3 as a track car, that's great. Get an RS with no options at all, remove the a/c, window motors, carpets, passenger seat, etc, and enjoy. But remember that there are those of us who fully appreciate the GT3 in the spirit of which it was actually created - as a properly usable daily sports car. Now will someone please explain how adding a nav system somehow ruins the GT3?

Yesterday I was driving a Lotus Exige S 240 on the track. That car is amazing. Of course it's slower around the track than my RS, but not by all that much. And it feels every bit as good, even better in many ways on the track. And it costs a third as much to buy, and probably less than that to run as a track car. It too had a/c and power windows. That's the car I would buy as a dedicated track car. And still enjoy the drive getting there.
Couldn't have explained it better!
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:00 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by amaist
There is a big difference between having A/C and GPS Nav.

Without A/C it can become almost unbearable in the car when driven at normal speeds. That is actually a hazard as one's concentration will be down due to lack of comfort.
If I don't have GPS Nav and get lost I will end up needing to drive some more. Oh, so I will have to drive a GT3 more than I planned. Damn, life must suck for me, then.

For me part of the appeal of the GT3 is that it is so inaccessible. That I need to make compromises to have it. That it's not just about tossing a pile of cash at the dealer and having the fanciest toy. If I wanted to display my spending abilities I'd buy another car.

I guess, I am a GT3 elitist.
Certainly nothing elitist about not choosing nav. Elitism is looking down on people who do choose it.

Interesting how people are different. For me, a great part of the appeal of the GT3 is that it is so accessible, so ordinary. It's just a trusty ol' VW Beetle turned up to 11. Easy to drive, easy to park, easy to see out of, reliable and comfortable. Its ability to be a genuine supercar / track car, and yet also just a regular everyday sports car is why I love it so much. When I drive my brother's F430 I find the noise, the flash, the attention is just too much. I genuinely prefer my GT3.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
There seems to be a holier-than-thou attitude from some GT3 owners about the car being built only for a 'special' group of hardcore track junkies. And that unless you buy one fully stripped out and take it to the track, you're somehow a poseur.

I've got news for you guys - the GT3 is a STREET car, not a race car. It's not even a track car. It has a/c, power windows, air bags, crush zones, PSM, PASM, sound insulation, carpets... And most owners who wouldn't dream of 'corrupting' their GT3 by adding nav, will still add leather on the dash for some strange reason.

Now, I fully understand the benefits of low weight. I drive a 996 RS, buckets, plastic rear window and all. I get it. But it's my daily road car, it's not a track car (although I do track it on rare occasion). For that reason I put rear speakers in back, which the factory takes out of the 996 RS, and I added a Dension iPod kit. And I'm very glad my car has a/c, power windows and carpets because that way it's pleasant to use daily on the road. I have 20k miles of almost exclusively street use on my car and I've loved every minute of them.

Why did I not just buy a C2S instead? Because the GT3 has a hardcore, connected feel that the non-GT cars simply cannot match. No matter what speed I'm going, even just idling, sitting tight in those buckets my GT3 provides the visceral, mechanical experience that I crave. And when conditions allow, it can bare its teeth and behave somewhat feral. All the time remaining a perfectly usable daily road car.

If you are buying your GT3 as a track car, that's great. Get an RS with no options at all, remove the a/c, window motors, carpets, passenger seat, etc, and enjoy. But remember that there are those of us who fully appreciate the GT3 in the spirit of which it was actually created - as a properly usable daily sports car. Now will someone please explain how adding a nav system somehow ruins the GT3?

Yesterday I was driving a Lotus Exige S 240 on the track. That car is amazing. Of course it's slower around the track than my RS, but not by all that much. And it feels every bit as good, even better in many ways on the track. And it costs a third as much to buy, and probably less than that to run as a track car. It too had a/c and power windows. That's the car I would buy as a dedicated track car. And still enjoy the drive getting there.
Ditto on the couldn't have explained it better; very well put and wholeheartedly agree. Again, it's not like any of us are racing for multi-million dollar contracts. If we were, we wouldn't be driving any off the shelf GT3.
Old 08-02-2009 | 02:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Look I am a GPS scientist. I have some of my work on Tomahawk cruise missiles. the Nav cost you 300 grams. If you eat breakfast before you go to the track then you have exceeded the extra weight of the Nav system. I believe the nav can help you on the track. My C2S has lap info on the trip page. NONE of you
will ever get a faster lap without a Nav than you will with a NAV. You could urinate and deficate and get more weight loss than the Nav Delete. how many of you are 150 lbs are less like you should be for a "REAL" track guy. I dont think so. I am 45 lbs over that and I could do more for my lap times by
getting my fat *** on my bike and riding, than worrying about wether my car has Nav on it or not.
Its a good resale issue. The new PCM is better than the previous system and it took me 30 minutes to consume the PDK book. BTW go ahead and get the 6 CD changer too, unless you weigh less than Lance Armstrong.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I choose not to get NAV not because of weight savings. I have no need for built-in NAV. If one keeps a car more than 3 years chances are today's NAV system will be obsolete by then too. My choice is purely personal and there's nothing elitist about it.

Re CD-changer... no need for it either. When was the last time that any of us reloaded CDs in a changer? I think that an Aux input or a full blown iPod interface is useful for long trips.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:08 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

As far as I'm concerned, in my daily road car I insist on a/c and at least a reasonable stereo with iPod. I'm quite happy to accept the extra weight for those. I also want power windows, at least on the passenger side where I can't reach. I'm lucky I find the fixed buckets so comfortable because that really saves a lot of lbs. Nav is neither here nor there regarding weight.

I'm not giving up my chocolate bars and Big Macs. though.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:34 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
I choose not to get NAV not because of weight savings. I have no need for built-in NAV. If one keeps a car more than 3 years chances are today's NAV system will be obsolete by then too. My choice is purely personal and there's nothing elitist about it.

Re CD-changer... no need for it either. When was the last time that any of us reloaded CDs in a changer? I think that an Aux input or a full blown iPod interface is useful for long trips.
No nav for me because I won't drive it on trips that far and it's a waste of $3,200. I could care less about the weight.

Unfortunately, I believe that iPod without Nav does not give you the full blown interface and thus does not charge the iPod. I hope I am wrong because I ordered iPod.

Porsche kind of screwed us again because you can not get XM (which I really don't want, but might have considered) nor the full iPod interface without Nav. (iPod is $95 without Nav and $410 or so with Nav.)

I don't eat Big Macs and do ride my Merlin Ti road bike extensively so I got Auto Dimming Mirror as an option.
Old 08-02-2009 | 03:40 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nav works for me because in California I dont know sometimes when going to a new track.
in SoCal traffice situations change by the minute. The new PCM has traffic and reroutes.
Outstanding on the 405 at 9AM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 04:33 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
BTW go ahead and get the 6 CD changer too
What is this CD relic you speak of?

I have one CD slot in my M3. I used it exactly zero times. I don't even remember when I last purchased a CD.
At least now Porsche figured out that people may want to use something like an iPod. Welcome to 5 years ago, Porsche.
Old 08-02-2009 | 04:40 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
What is this CD relic you speak of?

I have one CD slot in my M3. I used it exactly zero times. I don't even remember when I last purchased a CD.
At least now Porsche figured out that people may want to use something like an iPod. Welcome to 5 years ago, Porsche.
What's an ipod??
Old 08-02-2009 | 05:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

**** I just bought in Riteaid Three CDs ZZTops greatest hits for $5, Pink Floyd wish you were here $5 and
Led Zepplin 4 $5. those are in there now. I also have AC/DC back in black in the 4th spot. I have my Ipod in with Nirvannas greatest hits, Breaking Benjamin buttons, Saliva, Rammstien, killers green day etc etc.
You do what you have to do. My Mac doesnt make it that easy to load everything on the Ipod. Some CDs for some reason dont load as MP3s they load as WMAs and then dont convert with Itunes. In my opinion its a stupid way in much the same way Microsoft has tried to corner the market. Vista by the way on my desktop wont let me connect to the internet now. Just because it wanted to. Wireless, direct LAN connect whatever way. It can see everything just wont let me connect. Your very welcome from Microsoft.
Old 08-02-2009 | 05:51 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I'm still using XP because it works. Microsoft operating systems, for the most part, have sucked. But XP is remarkably stable (my experience anyway). Pretty sure I'll skip Vista and wait to hear what folks think of Seven. Happy with XP for now.
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911dev
... Unfortunately, I believe that iPod without Nav does not give you the full blown interface and thus does not charge the iPod. I hope I am wrong because I ordered iPod.
The new cars (997.2) with the iPod option do offer full screen control even if you do not order NAV. The new iPod/iPhone charging issue is a different issue - the old iPods used 12V and the new ones use 5V. The solution is an adapter (Scosche or Jive) or a workaround Y-cable from Porsche that plugs both into the iPod and USB ports.

Porsche kind of screwed us again because you can not get XM (which I really don't want, but might have considered) nor the full iPod interface without Nav. (iPod is $95 without Nav and $410 or so with Nav.)
XM is an option. I ordered a 997.2 S without XM.
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
**** I just bought in Riteaid Three CDs ZZTops greatest hits for $5, Pink Floyd wish you were here $5 and
Led Zepplin 4 $5. those are in there now. I also have AC/DC back in black in the 4th spot. I have my Ipod in with Nirvannas greatest hits, Breaking Benjamin buttons, Saliva, Rammstien, killers green day etc etc.
You do what you have to do. My Mac doesnt make it that easy to load everything on the Ipod. Some CDs for some reason dont load as MP3s they load as WMAs and then dont convert with Itunes. In my opinion its a stupid way in much the same way Microsoft has tried to corner the market. Vista by the way on my desktop wont let me connect to the internet now. Just because it wanted to. Wireless, direct LAN connect whatever way. It can see everything just wont let me connect. Your very welcome from Microsoft.
Change your iTunes prefs (General/Import Settings) from AAC to MP3 and you are done.

Quick Reply: New GT3 Drive