Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Why am I not in love with the 997.2 GT3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why am I not in love with the 997.2 GT3 ??

I've read all of the articles and love the power improvements and very small parts of the new style aesthetics; but I just cannot say, "I gotta have it!"

what am I missing?

the 997.1 "clicked" for me at first sight and still does....it had been a long while since any car had done that for me...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ + 1
Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
I've read all of the articles and love the power improvements and very small parts of the new style aesthetics; but I just cannot say, "I gotta have it!"

what am I missing?

the 997.1 "clicked" for me at first sight and still does....it had been a long while since any car had done that for me...
I don't think you are missing anything. Once you get to own these great cars the improvements from one to the next are steps of progression. They are small but noticeable, but they are not enough to make you say wow I am sure glad I made the change. I think many times you look back and say this a great car, but the last one was a great car too.

Once you are into this level they are all great cars, each offers something new, different and unique. But at some point you might find a car, like in your case your RS that you say wow I love this car and you keep it, forever!

Doesn't mean the next one won't be great as well, you just may not need it!

JCM
Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 AM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gen I just looks better, in my humble opinion. Too much "clutter" on the gen II body work.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it.

You probably have enough GT3's to keep you busy.

Phil
Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 AM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Was excited for the II but no longer interested! Changes are very minor and II does not look as agressive. I guess will have to wait for the next generation.

Stephan.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:05 AM
YearOne
Racer

I thought this too looking at the photos and I still prefer the MK1 overall but having spent time around TDMs MK2 in Germany and seeing it on the road it has a lot of presence. I am being lightly tempted by the RS though....
Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

It's complicated psychology. If you did not own a GT3 and had no financial restrictions, it's highly unlikely you would choose to buy an older model rather than the latest. Once you already own an older one, the latest one is always desirable even if you still love your older one. So those with sufficient funds just buy the new one anyway and keep the older one for a while.

But if upgrading to a new one is a financial stretch, and you love your old one anyway, you might decide to skip a generation. I did not want to lose the rawness of my 996 RS and could not afford to just add a 997 to the garage, so I still have the 996 RS. And I'm happy I still have it but the desire for the new one has never left me. That's how the psychology works.

Having infinite funds solves these problems but it also reduces the sense of excitement and pleasure in getting a new car.

These are nice dilemmas to have in life.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leif997

what am I missing?

I agree

The only thing I like better about .2 is the front grates - wish .1 had them - that is all
Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

The exterior styling differences are mainly down to improved aerodynamics and venting, and therefore hew to form-follows-function mandate of this car. Can't fault Porsche on that.

The changes to suspension are actually pretty extensive and I'd encourage folks to read the review in the July issue of 911&Porsche World magazine as they've provided the best detail to date on how many subtle but significant changes were made to impact driving dynamics. Some of these changes could conceivably be applied to the MkI but others are likely cost prohibitive.

Either way, can't fault existing owners wanting to keep a MkI. For me there's no decision as I pulled my MkI order when Porsche stuffed sunroofs down our throats here in the US.

I suspect anyone still on the fence about up-trading will have the decision made for them when the new RS hits.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

what am I missing?

+1

Very incremental and I am not sure if I can get over the look. It just looks a little wrong and busy to me.

I think it is more financial than psychology though...

If money no object I would take the new one, even though it looks less nice, but looks are less important than the 3.8, suspension, downforce and motormounts to me. I did pay 30-40K more than a 996 because I never liked how it looked and the GT3 MKI looks perfect to me, even prefer the rear wing over RS wing..

If money matters (Does'nt it always) it might be hard to add 30-40K for that small increase, especially if the look does not grab you as the first one did... Today I would buy a MKI over a MKII.

And 30-40K buys you a lot of 3.8, suspension, downforce...

I am curious to find out the price, looks and specs of the MKII RS VS MKI RS at the Frankfurt autoshow in September. I might go to see for myself.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The .1 was the first GT3 in the (IMO) nicer looking 997 body style. A significant departure from 996. So when it came out, you probably liked it. The .2 GT3 is only incrementally different than .1. So, it's less of a change. Hence, it's not exciting you.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with several Mk. I owners above - the first gen cars are definitely better looking, less cluttered, and if I had one would keep it happily. But since I don't, and the Mk. II has notable handling and aero upgrades (plus a smidge more power) and I demand full warranty, the decision to order the new car was a no-brainer and I'm counting the days 'til she gets here.

Last edited by triode; 07-16-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Are you guys really making these decisions based on looks? On looks alone the .1 to .2 increment is minor. Nobody would spend $30k for that. But the mechanical increments are a different story. Bigger engine, upgraded Variocam, upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, improved PASM, dynamic engine mounts, vastly increased downforce... Plus the benefits of a fresh warranty and the all important psychological fact of it being the latest model. Incremental improvements, maybe, but add them together and they make for a decidedly better car. Enough that it will wreak havoc with the prudent and logical parts of your mind.

Personally, when I drove the 997.1, I found PASM to feel unnatural, and I really disliked the exhaust butterflies. So I kept my 996 RS because it saved me a lot of money and has a purer, less digital feel than the 997. But the desire to trade never left me. I found myself reaching for my checkbook every time I saw a 997 RS on the road. It's hard to fight that feeling. Newer is always better, even when it isn't.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chardonet
The gen I just looks better, in my humble opinion. Too much "clutter" on the gen II body work.
I agree. The gen II LED lights strike me as being the same as diamonds on a Rolex, at least from the photos. Some may prefer that look, and certainly Rolex sells a lot of diamond watches, but I like the strong and functional look of the gen I better.

Quick Reply: Why am I not in love with the 997.2 GT3 ??