Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Where is "Old Guy" and what is he driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
Hey Paul

I had same type of back surg. last Sept, L4-5. My doc said golf is really bad for the lower back and advised me to give it up. Just a thought but you may want to follow that road. I also have a 997 GT3, it sat for 5 months until they gave me clearance to drive a clutch. Initial rides were rough, now the back is doing well so I am glad I held on the GT3.

Mark
Mark:

I would not tell you not to listen to your Doctor, but having just retired from a second career as a teaching Golf pro with students from all over the world over the last twenty years and missing three discs in my lower spine, I will tell you that you can play the game but slight changes in your swing and mindset are needed to protect your back. Like everything we just need to adjust to the ever changing (and not getting better) body.

Paul: I'm having the erge and lots of pushing and pressure from several Porsche friends to build up a 914/4 for autocross and vintage racing. You know friends will always find ways for you to spend your money .... Hey I could always name it "Bucketlist"
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack
I was just talking to wifey and Youre right I should adjust my swing. Before I got hurt to stop playing
I was JUST getting to the point where I was driving the green on a 320 yard hole (new technology, Pro V1s, graphite shafts on my irons, downhill hole and usually a pretty stiff tailwind)
I would hate to give it up with a new set of PING rapture V2s.
I think I have to make a swing thats nice and smooth instead of trying to hit a 7 iron 180 yards.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jack
I was just talking to wifey and Youre right I should adjust my swing. Before I got hurt to stop playing
I was JUST getting to the point where I was driving the green on a 320 yard hole (new technology, Pro V1s, graphite shafts on my irons, downhill hole and usually a pretty stiff tailwind)
I would hate to give it up with a new set of PING rapture V2s.
I think I have to make a swing thats nice and smooth instead of trying to hit a 7 iron 180 yards.
Paul:

How far you can hit the ball is not the answer, instead how far do you hit it with consistantly. I hit my driver 245-255 and rarely miss a fairway. My 7 iron is 148-155 carry. Everyone is different, but knowing repeatedly what you do is the important thing. My son will hit a 3 wood farther than my driver... so what. I am also an advocate of using the softest shafts you can control as that will allow to swing within yourself. Example I use a stiff shaft in the driver and 3 wood but regular shafts in all other clubs. Jack N. ( not a shabby golfer with 18 major titles used a regular shaft in his driver at the peak of his career. Good choice of clubs I wasa PING staff player for many years and still play PING. My irons are the S59 tour blades. I'm looking forward to the new G15 driver this fall. Anyway keep at it and get a new P car to get you to the course in style. Jack
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I know, I think youre right 250 every time down the middle aint bad. But you know it really wasnt the driving or irons. It was the pitching and the putting. Anything inside 75 yards sucked.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I know, I think youre right 250 every time down the middle aint bad. But you know it really wasnt the driving or irons. It was the pitching and the putting. Anything inside 75 yards sucked.
Paul:

We quickly got off you and a new car and on to golf. So here goes Where we beat the youngsters is with the short game. Keep it in the fairway off the tee an d frustrate them with your short game and unfortunately that takes practice. My Son (the + 1 or bewtter handicap at forty and with a fulltime job) normally has me play the back tees with him. At one month shy of 67 and with my back eagles on par 5's have become almost impossible, just can't reach many par 5's in two anymore. BUT with a good short game I can somewhat keep up with him. Having been a teaching pro for over 20 years I don't have a handicap "persay" but i basically shoot to a 4 from the back tees of most courses, and at my age and my back that an't too bad.

So work on your short game, you can do that in the back yard and putting in the living room. when you do go to the range leave the driver etc in the bag and pull out your 7-PW and pick targets to hit. the smooth swing you have with those clubs will carry over to the longer clubs with just a little bit of mental discipline. bottom line enjoy yourself and don't swing for the wall If interested I have some simple drills I have used over the years in my schools that really help with balance and smoothness... which breeds consistancy. Enjpy Paul and others reading this as it is a game for a lifetime.

Quick Reply: Where is "Old Guy" and what is he driving?