Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2008 green rs for sale 350 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default green rs

while I wont sell it at $120k I am willing to sell it at a fair price for somebody serious with the cash.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997.1 RS will never hold great collectible value for the simple reason that there's nothing special about it compared to the 997.2. The 993 cars were the last water cooled Porsches. 996.1 GT3s were the first GT3s. 996.1 RS was the last, and only, non-driver-aided RS. All of those have some possible reason to become collectible. But the 997.1 GT3 and RS are not first, last, best or unique in any meaningful way. I predict a 100 mile 997.1 car will sell for the same price as a 1000 mile car as soon as the new ones hit the street.

I also think people are underestimating the improvement in power delivery of the 2010 engine. It may have just 15-20 (+14) more horses at the top end, but the increased displacement and upgraded Variocam means a substantially fatter and juicier torque curve, which is what you feel as you power through the revband.

The only bragging rights the 997.1 RSs might retain over time are their wild colors.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The only bragging rights the 997.1 RSs might hold on to over time are their wild colors.
Are we certain that no one could order a 997.2 GT3 or RS with paint-to-sample option? Besides, the 997.1 GT3 (not RS) did come in same Orange as the sister-RS didn't they?

With all this said, RS cars in any chassis will hold their value far better than any Porsche out there.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:36 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

The 993 cars were the last water cooled Porsches
AIR COOLED
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by 964C4
AIR COOLED
I think you mean 'oil-cooled'.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

997.1 RS will never hold great collectible value for the simple reason that there's nothing special about it compared to the 997.2. The 993 cars were the last water cooled Porsches. 996.1 GT3s were the first GT3s. 996.1 RS was the last, and only, non-driver-aided RS. All of those have some possible reason to become collectible. But the 997.1 GT3 and RS are not first, last, best or unique in any meaningful way. I predict a 100 mile 997.1 car will sell for the same price as a 1000 mile car as soon as the new ones hit the street.

I also think people are underestimating the improvement in power delivery of the 2010 engine. It may have just 15-20 (+14) more horses at the top end, but the increased displacement and upgraded Variocam means a substantially fatter and juicier torque curve, which is what you feel as you power through the revband.

The only bragging rights the 997.1 RSs might retain over time are their wild colors.
Errr well if its about first or last of something, the 997.1 RS is the first RS wide body.... sorry but dont think that there is a lot special about any RS or GT3 post 993 RS at the end of the day.... and that is a sad fact most of us will in reality have to face....
Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

Just wait until you see the next one, and the one after!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by Harold
Errr well if its about first or last of something, the 997.1 RS is the first RS wide body.... sorry but dont think that there is a lot special about any RS or GT3 post 993 RS at the end of the day.... and that is a sad fact most of us will in reality have to face....
Fair enough. However I do think that once there is a quantum shift, like 993 to 996, it opens the door for one of the older ones to become collectible. If the 998 cars, for example, have some major change from the 996/7, then possibly some of the 996/7 ones could develop collectible status. I just don't see it being the 997.1 RS.

My bet is on the 996 RS, and not because I have one (mine is a DD with 20k miles). The 996 RS has a distinctly different feel to the 997. With no PASM and no TC it is the purer sports car. At least it feels that way to me. But much more relevant to collectibility, is that it's far rarer.

The Mk-I GT3 is also rare and is already becoming slightly collectible, I think.

Anyway, I think buying any mass produced car and putting it under wraps in the hope it will gain in value is a strange thing to do. There must be better ways of investing $150k purely for profit. GT3s are made for driving, not investing.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default green rs

you are right that the gt3 rs should be driven not put in storage I have come to the same conclusion. I have 2 RS a green and a white and decided to just keep one and drive it as much as I can. The hard decision was which color to keep. I LOVE the green but decided if I want to drive it a ton that there are more places I can go in the white it will not stick out quite as much. I am going to get a G55 truck for the winter when I sell the green car and the dealer will give me 20k behind sticker for it 135k. I want low 140's for it but more so than the money I really just dont want to dump this car to my deler when I looked for so long for the perfect car and I really believe it is the nicest green RS in the country for sale. I would much rather see it go to somebody that will really appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
you are right that the gt3 rs should be driven not put in storage I have come to the same conclusion. I have 2 RS a green and a white and decided to just keep one and drive it as much as I can. The hard decision was which color to keep. I LOVE the green but decided if I want to drive it a ton that there are more places I can go in the white it will not stick out quite as much. I am going to get a G55 truck for the winter when I sell the green car and the dealer will give me 20k behind sticker for it 135k. I want low 140's for it but more so than the money I really just dont want to dump this car to my deler when I looked for so long for the perfect car and I really believe it is the nicest green RS in the country for sale. I would much rather see it go to somebody that will really appreciate it.
IMHO you want to move your RS ASAP before new RS details are announced and while summer driving season is still on us. It's pretty clear that the new RS is going to be a much bigger step up vs the standard GT3 than was the MkI RS. That alone will render the MkI RS less desirable to its target market of hard corp track day junkies and wannabies. Again, just my .02.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold
the 997.1 RS is the first RS wide body.... ...
IMO, its exactly that fact that makes the 997.1 RS special to me....doesn't matter in the long run...I'm keeping mine. This car "does it" me...
Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
IMO, its exactly that fact that makes the 997.1 RS special to me....doesn't matter in the long run...I'm keeping mine. This car "does it" me...
lief, actually agree with you. the key reason i paid more coin for the RS rather than buy a brand new GT3 is that the RS is wide bodied and I love the look!!! Each to their own... my current RS has actually become my daily driver as I cant get enough of the darn thing...

As for the 996 vs 997, I don't think either will be very collectible compared to the air cooled fore fathers due to increased production numbers, and each successive model will render pricing on the previous one softer... but once again i also am not too bothered as i am enjoying it so much!!!

I wish you good luck with the sale...

Last edited by Harold; 07-11-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

the 6RS and the 7RS are only collectible if you dont drive them.

however, if someone would like to collect my next RS with 50k miles, i be more than happy to sell it to such a collector at significant discount to MSRP ;-)
Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check the latest auction prices on the RS, I have been told the price is way above what the bottom fishers are posting here. Check the latest one to go through!

Remember the auction price doesn't include fees, DMV penalties, refurbishment costs, CPO, etc. So unless you are a wholesaler who feels an obligation to pass along your "deals" at cost to your friends, those auction prices are artificially low and not available to the general public. The Dealers are buying these cars because they think there is profit in them at the retail level. Dealers are many things, but stupid is not one of them when they go to the auctions.

When you do the above you can draw your own informed conclusions regarding values.

I say, if you are an RS buyer, and can pick one up at the bargain basement prices talked about here, jump on it. But, I think you will find when you try to execute the deals vaporize, unless it is a "storied" car, and maybe then you should run!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Does anyone actually have any concrete evidence (not rumors flying on the web) that Porsche will actually produce the next gen. 997 Gt3 RS. I have yet to see anything firm?
As far as the current ones of which I am a lucky owner of a beautiful headturning green RS. I still believe it will remain as rare and as sought after...so people who do not have anything solid should stop beating down on one of the best ever built cars by Porsche a 997 GT3 RS in GRRREEEN. which even in this bad economy still command top dollars..show me another exotic that still sells near sticker today if you find it.

Quick Reply: 2008 green rs for sale 350 miles