Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Exhaust for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by function_analysi
Get whatever you think appropriate, but my experience indicates to NEVER NEVER get a Oakley Design system...Wish I knew that before, for sure
What issues did you have?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bit of a mix in my GT3.

I run the stock headers and cats.

I deleted the side mufflers with Fabspeed's side muffler delete kit.

I also deleted the center muffler with Sharky's center delete.

My tips are the bigger flat black ones from Sharky (they weigh less than stock).

How much weight does this save in the *** end of our GT3's???

Approximately 54 lbs!

How does it sound? Easy. At idle it sounds like a Sharkized GT3 with the sport button on, but a bit louder.

As you begin to ease onto the throttle you notice the exhaust is louder than Sharky w/ Sport Button (SSB), but it also has a deeper tone and hints at the sound of a V8; a small displacement, cool sounding V8 that is.

Then, when you start to drive it you notice a few more things: "
Why didn't I do this sooner, I can't believe how good this car sounds!" The sound is just awesome at any RPM, and truely orgasmic as you approach 8400 RPM and then expload in the car while shifting to the next higher gear. You do it again and again, and the orgasams keep coming.

Men, women, and children give you a thumbs up left and right because it just sounds that good. It is loud at mid rev, and too loud at full revs, but for deleting all three mufflers, it really is not that bad and you can stay fairly quite in residential neighborhoods at night. If you have not stripped your car like I have, then you will get plenty of noise insulation, but you can open your windows when you feel like gettin' some - SATISFACTION!!!

Also, you must let some one you trust do several near max RPM drive bys while you wet your pants standing on the corner of the street.

When I go to track days, I get compliments regarding the sound of my car constantly. At one event there were two Lambos (Murci and Lardo) and a F430. At least one of these had an aftermarket exhaust. I was approached my many that my GT3 sounded better than any of them hands down.

The other benefit of doing this is the quicker throttle response. I noticed it right away after I added the Fabspeed side muffler deletes (I already had the great Sharkster goodness at the center position).

My main reason for doing this was for the weight loss plan that I put my GT3 on. My goal is to get the car at least 1 lb under 2,800 lbs with a rear half cage/roll bar, harnesses, and fire extinquisher. Getting rid of the passenger seat is allowed in my book to achieve this. Well, this exhaust mod helped tremendously with my weight loss, but helped in so many other areas also - did I mention the better balance of my GT3 when on the track?

To me this is a must do, and it is very easy to swap back to the side mufflers or just the center muffler! I have not tried just the center muffler, might be interesting.

As for power, I have the SharkWerks/EVOmsit ECU flash which is specifically tuned for the cener bypass. After I deleted the side mufflers, I wanted to see what numbers the car was making.

I am at 6,000 ft of elevation, and the numbers were adjusted with a correction factor based on the current atmospheric conditions and elevation.

At the wheels my GT3 made 394 hp and 306 torque. This was in Jan or Feb and was comprised of just two runs using 91 octane fuel. The two runs were right on top of each other; very repeatable.

We dynoed my GT3 again in June, and the numbers were still very close to the same with the largest hp or torque deltas being + or - 2 hp and + or - 2 lb-ft along the entire graphs.

I can believe that Sharky's tuned center section can make about 15 or 20 hp/torque with the EVO msit tune, but I am wondering about the side muffler deletes. Did they actually make more power for the car??? I did not notice the car being faster with the side mufflers deleted, but I did notice better throttle response. It just seems to me that my dyno numbers are a bit on the high side. With a 10% driveline loss, then the car would be at about 440 hp and 340 torque (the torque is the one that really has me wondering).

I did not do this very scientific since I did no dyno runs for my stock GT3, nor after the Sharky center pipe or Sharky center pipe tune.

I guess I know that our cars are tapped out and will not make much more power anyway, and I really am happy with the power output of the car just the way it is (by that I mean simply by the seat of pants feel). I would much rather increase performance my lightening the car and installing an even better suspension set-up for track driving.

I just wanted to verify that my car did not lose power with my exhaust setup. It appears it hasn't, but I know that dynoing it and applying a correction factor is my no means concrete evidence as to the actual power output of my GT3.

Anyway, I hope this helps you with an exhuast decision.

Stephen
Old 07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

340 elise has a tidy exhaust set-up
Old 07-04-2009, 03:40 PM
va122
Drifting

damn! No lost torque? I lost a lot (butt dyno) going bareback
Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Stephen,
Any droning or resonance issues with that exhaust setup?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon70
Stephen,
Any droning or resonance issues with that exhaust setup?
That is a bit difficult for me to answer since my interior is stripped. I have been driving up to Colorado the past two months any chance I get to drive the Pueblo and new High Plains track near Denver (have done about 6 two day events in 8 weeks). I do not trailer my GT3 and simply run Toyo R888 on 18" CCW's as my street/track tire. So for Colorado events I drive my GT3 anywhere from 360 to 450 miles in a single one-way trip. On the freeway I usually run an average of 90 mph and it does not drone or resonate. However, over such a long distance I admit that in my stripped GT3 it is too loud. My solution in this case is to use ear plugs.

I also drive it around Albuquerque on a regular basis and it is fine through the entire range.

I think that if I had my full interior with the windows up that it would be perfectly acceptable and not require ear plugs on long trips.

All I can say is that the sound is incredible, as is the weight loss; probably my best mod next to the carbon roof and LWFW.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by va122
damn! No lost torque? I lost a lot (butt dyno) going bareback
I can't be certain, but the dyno shows my max torque a bit on the high side. But I think that is the key - MAX torque. When I find my dyno plot, I will post it and maybe someone can then compare the curve to stock to see if there was a low end loss. You gotta look at the entire curve to see what is really going on.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You may want to look at the thread on the 997 forum regarding a recent Fabspeed customer experience.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

hey fellas.. I'm not in this week (on sorta-holiday LOL) but Dan's got #200 etc... of our gt3 set up ready. We've still got 9 more ready to ship (free shipping to anyone in the US. We're all out of tips now though... sorry! The last set of Tips (and a bypass) went to Australia..

For more: http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=153
Old 07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOUND ONLY, SHARKWERKS IS THE SYSTEM. IF YOU WANT ADDED POWER, CONSIDER THE CARGRAPHIC KIT, THEY PRODUCE HP AND TQ AND SOUND. I HAVE A CARGRAPHIC KIT 6 ON ORDER FOR MY 10 GT3 ALONG WITH THE CARTRONIC SEQUENTIAL SHIFTER, LIGHT WEIGHT CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL AND WILL DO CLEAR BRA AND AGRESSIVE ALIGNMENT AND CORNER BALANCE. STILL CONSIDERING GIAC OR EVO FOR ECU TUNING.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the most complete source of dyno information on this car, see here:
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/info/con...cfm?content=61

We tested every possible configuration and found that only a full sytem will yield any gains WITHOUT any loses.

See here for more details on the full sytem:
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...=997gt3exhaust

Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PNUT
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOUND ONLY, SHARKWERKS IS THE SYSTEM. IF YOU WANT ADDED POWER, CONSIDER THE CARGRAPHIC KIT, THEY PRODUCE HP AND TQ AND SOUND. I HAVE A CARGRAPHIC KIT 6 ON ORDER FOR MY 10 GT3 ALONG WITH THE CARTRONIC SEQUENTIAL SHIFTER, LIGHT WEIGHT CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL AND WILL DO CLEAR BRA AND AGRESSIVE ALIGNMENT AND CORNER BALANCE. STILL CONSIDERING GIAC OR EVO FOR ECU TUNING.
Hehe thanks and glad you like it... Someone sent me this one of Henry's GT3 with our exhaust on at the Ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9jpKy7Its

Quick Reply: Exhaust for GT3