Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Preuninger/Silverstone event question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
MSRP does not include taxes in the US. All the taxes and municipal fees are additive, not contained in the MSRP.
Our RRP (MSRP) includes import duties and consumption tax. Additionally we pay a further 5-6% of the final price as stamp duty, typically a further $15-20k....
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Maybe. Then again they could release new cars to their largest market first, which they don't. They could have offered a sunroof delete on the Gen1 997 GT3, which they didn't. They could have offered a variation of the Clubsport Pkg, ex-the roll bar, to the US rather than making all the customers that wanted to track their cars retrofit everything, which they didn't. I could go on....
Porsche was not behind making all US MKI GT3's have a sunroof.
That was all on PCNA.
Rich
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other reason Pcars are cheaper in the US is its all about local pricing relative to other products in that market. The USA has always had a history of mass producing cars and selling them far more cheaply than they have ever been anywhere else. For Porsche to compete in the market their cars needed to be priced relative (within reason anyway) of comparable US products. If the european cost was actually jsut converted into US$ then they would hardly have ever sold many cars as they would be so expensive they would have been priced out of the market. However clearly Porsche still makes a profit on the cars even at the lower US$ prices so the reality is the US gets a fair deal - ROW gets ripped off because they can get away with it!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam2S
The other reason Pcars are cheaper in the US is its all about local pricing relative to other products in that market. The USA has always had a history of mass producing cars and selling them far more cheaply than they have ever been anywhere else. For Porsche to compete in the market their cars needed to be priced relative (within reason anyway) of comparable US products.
What about Dubai? Cars in Dubai are exactly at the same price as in the US.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

hmmm - err I dunno that to be honest then. No idea about Dubai market - are non-porsche cars the same price as in the US? In which case its all to do with relative pricing (rather than actual local production)
Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

If I may provide an answer to your question...

I actually posed this question to Andreas, asking him which countries had been surveyed. The reason the USA was left out was apparently because majority GT3 drivers in USA do not live near a race circuit so do not track their cars as much as UK and German drivers and as a result, any feedback received would err towards the road user/casual driver and essentially skew the results because of the sheer number of USA owners.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

Uhm, I wonder how many track-day events Andreas has attended in the U.S? Must be a bunch given the well-formed opinion.

JMHO but I think Andreas and PAG would be well-served doing an end-run around PCNA's marketing department and having a conversation with a few real U.S. GT3 owners.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Blow Dog
Advanced

Uhm, I wonder how many track-day events Andreas has attended in the U.S? Must be a bunch given the well-formed opinion.

JMHO but I think Andreas and PAG would be well-served doing an end-run around PCNA's marketing department and having a conversation with a few real U.S. GT3 owners.
I certainly wouldn't think he's suggesting it just doesn't happen in the USA, but relative to the numbers sold, the amount that track their cars are low comparative to the rest of the other major markets. Naturally my opinion may not count for much as I've not even ever been to the USA. I heard it's pretty cool
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Lived in London for two years. There are a lot more opportunities to drive fast in the US vs UK, both on and off track, based on my experience. But nice to know the Brits and Euros only pull their GT3's out for track events
Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Lived in London for two years. There are a lot more opportunities to drive fast in the US vs UK, both on and off track, based on my experience. But nice to know the Brits and Euros only pull their GT3's out for track events
Ah! London eh. Sorry got to disagree. Probably quicker to travel by push bike and I'm being serious here. Love London but it's a waste of time to own a car in that great city!! I also realize that you didn't just spend all your time there. Lol

Just done my 3rd trip from Wales to Europe and the Alps, Spa, passes, the 'Ring, 11 countries in a week 4500 miles, Hungaroring....... Etc etc. THIS IS WHAT THE GT3 was made for!!!!

Done a few runs in the US, none track and I got to say what a great country but police are very strict........... but not much more than in UK I guess! Perhaps I was just a little to quick!!

I just feel sad that when someone gets to own one of the greatest driving cars in the world they leave it in the garage and don't really use it!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Well my comp was UK vs US and I'll stand by that. Not a fair fight I know given relative land masses but this started because Andreas is apparently of the view that Brits live to track their GT3's while Americans live to cruise up and down Main St at 30mph drinking lattes in their GT3s

No question Europe has some amazing driving but the UK isn't Europe - a point on which my Brit friends are always quick to remind. And no doubt we have some areas where the cops are every bit as zealous as in UK. Then again we don't have speed cameras...yet. Not sure where you drove in the US but if you get away from the populated coasts and head inland there are plenty of places that are relatively safe to let the ponies run - Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Texas, to name a few.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

The UK has 60 mil people in a land mass that would fit in Texas several times, considering that, there are far more tracks available within shorter driving distances. The US could only dream of such choices.
http://www.bmrc.co.uk/index.php?page...ontinent=%20UK
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
The UK has 60 mil people in a land mass that would fit in Texas several times, considering that, there are far more tracks available within shorter driving distances. The US could only dream of such choices.
http://www.bmrc.co.uk/index.php?page...ontinent=%20UK
Ah, so now it's a land-mass handicap.

No worries, I'm sending Preuninger a letter requesting Porsche build an RS Cabriolet with Tiptronic, bench seat, extra cup holders, and humidor. Wouldn't want to upset anyone's perception of US GT3 owners.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- they should have surveyed gt3 Canadian owners
- i don't think there is a gt3 in Canada that i haven't seen on the track at least a few times
- granted, we may have suggested that porsche get conti to make a 19" snow tire that would fit on a 12 inch rim so we could do winter trackdays and not have to purchase a volk 19" 11" wide rim to accept a 295 tire
Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Ah, so now it's a land-mass handicap.

No worries, I'm sending Preuninger a letter requesting Porsche build an RS Cabriolet with Tiptronic, bench seat, extra cup holders, and humidor. Wouldn't want to upset anyone's perception of US GT3 owners.
Good for you!!

Quick Reply: Preuninger/Silverstone event question