Preuninger/Silverstone event question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
N-Dub
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Ah, so now it's a land-mass handicap.

No worries, I'm sending Preuninger a letter requesting Porsche build an RS Cabriolet with Tiptronic, bench seat, extra cup holders, and humidor. Wouldn't want to upset anyone's perception of US GT3 owners.
Hey don't speak for the masses, PDK is easier to drive!
Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by N-Dub
+1 Not just easier but quicker too. There's a reason why every modern race car allowed runs paddle shift and ceramic brakes.

That being said, I can appreciate the purity and weight rationale as applied to the GT3.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes its quicker but PDK sucks b*lls! Sequential it is not - auto is where its heart lies, damn fine auto yes, superb replacement for Tip yes, but its the crappiest sequential I have experienced - not a patch on BMW's SMG system for driver feedback. PDK maybe easy to drive but its pants - its at its worst around town when most people think its at its best. Around town is when PDK saps the most out of the driving experience. Ye sstop start at lights are dull and PDK makes it easy but who wants easy when they own a drivers car.

Easy is for Merc's... PDK pretends to be the drivers choice and on the twisties its not bad, but overall it detracts more than it adds in the driving feedback stakes. This is the GT forum so above all feedback is what counts - easy at the lights.... Geezzzz guys come'on! Seriosuly I was the worlds biggest fan of sequentials until I bought a PDK car and now I feel betrayed. PDK is just a super-hyped up automatic. Speed/performance 10/10 - feedback 5/10. SMG was speed 9/10 - feedback 9/10 so I know which system I reckon is best to own.

I have a C2S PDK now and I cant wait for my GT3.2 to be delivered to get me back to where my roots were I was with my 997.1 C2S manual (the best overall car ive owned). PDK is the reason Im selling the 997.2 and going for GT3.

PDK = mala burros testiculos

Last edited by Adam2S; 07-03-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: cos PDK is even more sh*te than I posted earlier
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Yes its quicker but PDK sucks b*lls! Sequential it is not - auto is where its heart lies, damn fine auto yes, superb replacement for Tip yes, but its the crappiest sequential I have experienced - not a patch on BMW's SMG system for driver feedback. PDK maybe easy to drive but its pants - its at its worst around town when most people think its at its best. Around town is when PDK saps the most out of the driving experience. Ye sstop start at lights are dull and PDK makes it easy but who wants easy when they own a drivers car.

Easy is for Merc's... PDK pretends to be the drivers choice and on the twisties its not bad, but overall it detracts more than it adds in the driving feedback stakes. This is the GT forum so above all feedback is what counts - easy at the lights.... Geezzzz guys come'on! Seriosuly I was the worlds biggest fan of sequentials until I bought a PDK car and now I feel betrayed. PDK is just a super-hyped up automatic. Speed/performance 10/10 - feedback 5/10. SMG was speed 9/10 - feedback 9/10 so I know which system I reckon is best to own.

I have a C2S PDK now and I cant wait for my GT3.2 to be delivered to get me back to where my roots were I was with my 997.1 C2S manual (the best overall car ive owned). PDK is the reason Im selling the 997.2 and going for GT3.

PDK = mala burros testiculos
Wasn't in any way arguing for PDK on GT3. More than content to shift for myself. Just stating facts re: fastest way around a track.

FWIW, I've driven both PDK and SMG as well. Biggest issue I had with PDK was the toggles, which are complete crap relative to standard paddles.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

Actually you have it the wrong way around; the paddles (a la Ferrari) are crap, and the "toggles" are very intuitive. Based upon my track experience on each.

Often, some of the magazine writers get in their own way, make a snap observation, and stick with it like a dog with a bone.

A few dozen laps with each just might change your mind.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

lol sorry for the above anti-PDK rant.... I posted it last night after one too many vino's!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^

Actually you have it the wrong way around; the paddles (a la Ferrari) are crap, and the "toggles" are very intuitive. Based upon my track experience on each.

Often, some of the magazine writers get in their own way, make a snap observation, and stick with it like a dog with a bone.

A few dozen laps with each just might change your mind.
That being the case I will look for toggles to show up on all F1 and ALMS cars next season.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
That being the case I will look for toggles to show up on all F1 and ALMS cars next season.
Stop looking and start driving!

When you put the whole package together, the Porsche has the lever (which the F car doesn't) and it moves in the same plane at the buttons (not toggles.. that's the automatic) so it makes for an intuitive experience.

Porsche gives you the choice of the lever in PDK (a whole lot of fun if you haven't tried it) as well as the buttons. The same movement gets the same results.... try that with a "pedal" F1 car .... you can't and the pedals ain't great either.

I wouldn't give an F1 transmission house room ( I went 6 speed on that one), and the PDK has won my heart, the lever is growing on me too. The lever is rumored to be the fastest way around the track, if you have the ability to stay with the car.

Enjoy your choice!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 770 Posts

Yes its quicker but PDK sucks b*lls! Sequential it is not - auto is where its heart lies, damn fine auto yes, superb replacement for Tip yes, but its the crappiest sequential I have experienced
Maserati went from auto manual to a true auto slushbox on the quatroporte and now on the GT... With Ferrari you would think they would be able to get it down, but appearantly not.

The auto manuals are almost there but not quite in stop and go traffic and parking.

The best one I have felt myself was the Nissan GTR, but I still prefer a real manual in a GT3 or any track car or a real (quick) slush box in a Merc or any non-track car until they are real sequentials with the logical push forward for down on the shifter and backwards for up ala WRC and/or left down and right up ala F1 with the padels behind the steering wheel that I never use...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by N-Dub
For me, a six speed is easier to drive, even heeling and toeing.

The PDK is a whole new learning experience (and challenge) with its myriad of options, and its quite a lot of fun. It works at every level, but extracting the nuances will take a little time. Right now for break-in, I like the lever and sport for around town.

Don't let the limited journalistic ramblings cloud your personal experiences and judgements, you can limit your experiences that way. Try it for yourself, it just keeps getting better and better.

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 07-05-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is some more info on the the PDK, courtesy of of Mjones

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...ualclutch.html

Note: it is currently limited to 8000 RPM, and that is probably the reason it is not available in the GT3/RS. All that talk about weight is just.. talk!

I'll bet that (availability) will change within the next few iterations, and the next F (450) car is sure to have it too. (Bye Bye F1 ..... Hooray!)
Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
ScottL
Advanced

A word on survey...

Andreas knows his customers very well - at least the ones who turn up at circuits all over the planet and drive their GT3's Cup car style.

He designed the survey to beat senior management into submission and ensure future Porsche GT cars live up to their ancestors.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

A PDK GT3 RS, when introduced will exceed its ancestors. This in keeping with the spirit that the next Porsche is the best Porsche!!!

Quick Reply: Preuninger/Silverstone event question