Does PSM Kill LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does PSM Kill LSD?

I've read with concern about the rear brake overheating and excessive wear that pretty clearly is caused by PSM intervention. Could this also be the cause of LSD failures? It seems like clamping the brakes on one side of spinning rear wheels to save a turn would stress the LSD, but I'd value some learned input.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no LSD expert, so with that in mind, I believe the LSD wears when the two wheels are rotating at different speeds. By braking the spinning wheel, the two will come closer in terms of rotational speed, which should minimize the wear on the LSD. I also believe that LSD wear is more a function of the rotational difference under extreme temperature levels (ie, track use with lots of wheelspin and hot fluid).
Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I've read with concern about the rear brake overheating and excessive wear that pretty clearly is caused by PSM intervention. Could this also be the cause of LSD failures? It seems like clamping the brakes on one side of spinning rear wheels to save a turn would stress the LSD, but I'd value some learned input.
i dont think so.
all of my 996 GT3's have failed LSD. these cars do not have PSM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:29 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's remove the issue the Porsche OE LSD clutch packs fail on their own with use

I would say that if you drive with TC on (especially in non sport mode) then yes, everytime the LSD locks up in its either accel or decel lockup rate there definitely is a chance (depending on the algorithms that porsche has programmed for TC) that the computer will be fighting the mechanical lockup with the brake pads

My guess however is that 95% of excessive rear pad wear reported is from TC intervention and also some airflow issues and that 95% of LSD failures come from the simple wearing of the non track grade clutches when the car is tracked

I have another car that I have heavily tracked for 5yrs that has stability control and has a Paul Guard LSD that still has 45 foot pounds of lockup - that makes me strongly believe that it is not the brakes causing the high LSD failure rate but just the poor quality clutches

Quick Reply: Does PSM Kill LSD?