Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Option questions/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I personally don't like the leather on the dash. I have had several cars where the leather dries out and looks really bad after a couple of years.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For a little more you can leather it up a bit more:

26141 Seat Inlays in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara seat inlays with Standard Leather $1,180

26181 Door Pull Handle and Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the door pull handle and storage compartment
lid with standard leather. $470

26182 Door Center Panel in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the door center panel with standard leather. $310

26183 Rear Center Console Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the rear center console storage compartment
lid with Standard Leather. $160
Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 AM
kryten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2S
Engine mounts are only worth it if you intend to track the car a lot and want to get that final 1% of performance out of it - otherwise they are a waste of cash IMHO for the little difference they will make. I think you will get far more day to day pleasure out of the full leather interior.
Must admit that I'd actually read this the other way around - having the flexibility to have 'softer' engine mounts for day-to-day use would mean better ride comfort in a car with the PADM than with standard mounts.

Definitely a question I'll be asking Mr Preuninger in two weeks time!!

I'm also trying to keep it below 90k (UK) so unless I take the brave pill and do go with SY as the colour I won't be getting PCCBs...
Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
Now my only question regards the main panel on the door, which is identified as "Door Panel/3.0c" in the order guide. It's shown in alcantara on photos but I don't find it described as such in the list of upgraded alcantara pieces on the Full Leather Interior option description. I'm assuming they're indentifying it as "extension of door storage compartment" but definitely plan to confirm.

Caveat emptor.
Yup Im quite certain of that too - its leatherette on the standard interior and alcantara on the full leather.

Look at the two pics Ive captured from the online configurator :

Std

Full Leather

Pretty clear cut to me from the pics that the panel is also upgraded to alcantara - I too agree that panel is hugely significant in the overall full alcantara effect - its just about the largest area of alcantara in the car. With it just trimmed in a large piece of black plastic, sorry, leatherette, I'm pretty sure the interior will look very poor indeed. The standard plastic interior belongs in a Datsun if you ask me... An porsche GT3 ought to have full alcantara at the very least, even if leather is deemed too luxurious.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by kryten
Must admit that I'd actually read this the other way around - having the flexibility to have 'softer' engine mounts for day-to-day use would mean better ride comfort in a car with the PADM than with standard mounts.

Definitely a question I'll be asking Mr Preuninger in two weeks time!!
The soft setting on the dynamic mounts is the same as the setting if you dont have them fitted - so this is not a comfort option, it is a track option.

Soft = comfortable for slow driving (and the same as not having them fitted)
Hard = less comfortable (more resonance from the engine) but better handling for fast driving i.e. track mode!

As my car is going to be a road queen (99.9% sure I'll never track it), I wont therefore be spending my cash on the dynamic mounts.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
For a little more you can leather it up a bit more:

26141 Seat Inlays in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara seat inlays with Standard Leather $1,180

26181 Door Pull Handle and Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the door pull handle and storage compartment
lid with standard leather. $470

26182 Door Center Panel in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the door center panel with standard leather. $310

26183 Rear Center Console Storage Compartment Lid in Standard Leather
Replaces the Alcantara cover of the rear center console storage compartment
lid with Standard Leather. $160

IIRC, you need to first order the full leather option THEN add one these item.

without full leather option, you cannot order any of the above.

please confirm?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam2S
The soft setting on the dynamic mounts is the same as the setting if you dont have them fitted - so this is not a comfort option, it is a track option.

Soft = comfortable for slow driving (and the same as not having them fitted)
Hard = less comfortable (more resonance from the engine) but better handling for fast driving i.e. track mode!

As my car is going to be a road queen (99.9% sure I'll never track it), I wont therefore be spending my cash on the dynamic mounts.
The documentation from Porsche says something similar, but the Porsche project manager on the Driver's Republic interview provides a view that they wanted to get rid of some of the annoying 3,000rpm resonance as well as improve traction, etc., so I do believe it provides more comfort to some extent (perhaps only at 3k rpm?).
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got contacted by my dealer on Saturday to start my GT3 order. My dealer is going to bump me back 1-2 allocations as at least one of my options is not available yet. Here is what I came up with:

Basalt Black
Sport Buckets (why would you buy a GT3 without these)?
Self dimming mirrors/rain sensor
Foot rest in aluminum
Sound Plus (yes, I listen to the stereo when cruising too and from the track)
Sports Chrono
Universal Audio
Front lift system

Why Basalt black? Easy to sell later and looks right with the car. Black blends the spoilers and vents. The flat colors are too common (especially white). Plus, what's up with the new color choices? No decent gray colors. Can you believe that Seal Gray, Atlas Gray and Slate gray are all gone? Meteor is similar to seal, but just looks off when I look at it. It is like a seal gray that has been beat up by the weather for 30 years. Seems rediculous to have to pay paint to sample price for older gray colors that were popular when Porsche took them off the option list in the last couple of years.

I am not getting full leather. Why? It does not matter a dime at resale and adds no performance benefit. I spend my time driving looking out the windshield and windows at the road and track, not stairing as the stitching on the dash. Remember, this is a GT3 not a Turbo Tip Cab.

The only option I am debating is dynamic engine mounts. How much of a benefit are they really going to make? Will they matter for resale?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

FYI, full leather might have a little more resale value this time around because without it you lose the extended Alcantara on the doors and lower dash. See other threads on Alcantara.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I am not getting full leather. Why? It does not matter a dime at resale and adds no performance benefit. I spend my time driving looking out the windshield and windows at the road and track, not stairing as the stitching on the dash. Remember, this is a GT3 not a Turbo Tip Cab.
I agree with Nizer, I think full leather will add something at resale. The lack of full alcantara will put some people off - remember this is a GT3 not a GT3RS.

Quick Reply: GT3 Option questions/opinions