Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

25 more ponies?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
The problem here is you lose the MAF and lose all idle control below 4k, not usable for street use.
Its been done before to a street car. The MAF was relocated.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 experiences with K&N. First was with a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.8. Used a G-Meter to measure acceleration improvement with the promised new 30hp. Absolutely none. Next experience was with a BMW X5 4.6si. Got the K&N as a replacement filter that could be reused. The dealer was nice and replaced the MAF on warranty when the car started to run badly.

I seriously doubt whether anyone should believe the claims made by K&N.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

i would consider this a fairly sophisticated auto crowd.

if any of you think an air filter or some other simple add-on/hang-off piece will net you 25 HP on any legit dyno, you don't belong in a GT-3.

the aftermarket reminds me of the old snake-oil scenes in movies or carnival barkers.

sorry if i offend anyone, but to quote another old movie, "...not no way, not no how...". as if the Porsche engineers are duller than the Big Brains at K&N...as if!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Or to put it another way,"if it sounds too good to be true it probably is".At only about $15 per one HP, the asking price of $390 would have been the cheapest HP upgrade I ever paid,for any car.

No question that allowing the motor to breath more effeciently is a good thing,since our motors are "air pumps",but it appears the K&N/Performance Products claims may be a bit over hyped.

Perhaps a slug of STP will do the trick.LOL

Tom B.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Victor,

Charles at ASP has a flow bench. He bolted the OEM air box to it and concentrated on smoothing the ridge just before the MAF. This is the area resembling a "Velocity Stack" or venturi.
Hope this helps.

On the K&N drop in filter, it was not overly oiled (meaning, when touched barely left any oil on finger tips).

FWIW, not believer in HP claims with bolt ons and outlier dyno numbers. Can be like cooking the books.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my first GT3 and started to mod it a guy - Greg Fordahl and a couple other of the best Porsche racing car builders in Seattle warned me to stay away from K&N. I can not think of a reason to take a chance and ignore their advice.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 AM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this?

http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=63-7001

those numbers are "ballsy" ... especially since the unit is more open to "hot" air from the engine compartment vs the factory box that has a seal against the engine cover intake ...

almost worth buying one and dynoing it ... I cant imagine it's true either!
I just looked at it closely, and the unit is not open. After it is installed, there is another cover to seal if off and still have the opening for the factory seal on the decklid.

I also noticed that they put some kind of cloth cover on the filter called a drycharger (I think). It is water repellent for 1 to 2 years with its treatment.

I think that it is important that they made it a closed box, not because of engine heat (although that is a valid concern), but because of the ram air affect of our cars intake system. Remember that at speed our GT3/RS's make another 10 hp because of this. I would think that the Fabspeed open system would no longer allow for the ram air affect, which is the worst part of that system.

Maybe this K&N system is not all that bad, but I agree about the power claims.

As for the low power that they made, it could have been at high altitude and they did not apply a correction factor??? It must have been around 8000 or 9000 ft if that was the case!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:16 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by va122
everybody i know that has used the K&N has damaged their MAF.

about the airbox mod like fabspeed's the extra whp is on the dyno only with the decklid open for cool air. PJ can you confirm if you had the decklid open?
Total lie. I've had a K&N 63-series intake on my 02' Carrera for 3 years and never had a problem. I've had off and on a couple of times, driven even in heavy rain and used a high pressure sprayer at a car wash at least 30 times without any issues. I've never had a problem with my MAF. Keep in mind the pre-02' cars have much more fragile MAFs (acknowledged by Porsche) and it is very easy to damage the wires when removing and installing the MAF if you are not careful.

The only issues I ever had with the K&N intake is the rubber seal around the box came unglued and I wore out the first filter. I will say the filter does get pretty dirty, especially with heavy track use; so it needs to be cleaned regularly (at least every 3 months). As far as results, my peak numbers went from 270.1 rwhp to 292.1 rwhp on the same dynojet 238c with just the K&N 63-series intake and a pair of Fabspeed mufflers. No, I don't believe the intake will give like 23 rwhp as K&N claims, but 10-15 hp seems reasonable by my own dyno numbers. That is on a Carrera.

The question is: who is going to step up to the plate and do a before and after test on a dynojet with the GT3 kit to see if it is for real?

I have a 2010 GT3 coming later this year, so inquiring minds would like to know?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
NLS8520
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
My .02c worth. Anybody ever see a GT3RS only dyno 310 whp stock. Even with the mod it only dyno's app 330whp.

Peter

Just out of curiosity, roughly what should a 997 GT3 and a GT3RS Dyno? Do you figure 15% or so for drivetrain loss? What kind of numbers are you folks getting?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Total lie.
that seems a little harsh there...

he may be incorrect when it comes to you, but c'mon. he said of folks he knew. are you one of them?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I just looked at it closely, and the unit is not open. After it is installed, there is another cover to seal if off and still have the opening for the factory seal on the decklid.
Yup after I posted I noticed that too ...

I also noticed that they put some kind of cloth cover on the filter called a drycharger (I think). It is water repellent for 1 to 2 years with its treatment.
Probably worthwhile with a setup like this ...

I think that it is important that they made it a closed box, not because of engine heat (although that is a valid concern), but because of the ram air affect of our cars intake system. Remember that at speed our GT3/RS's make another 10 hp because of this. I would think that the Fabspeed open system would no longer allow for the ram air affect, which is the worst part of that system.
Agreed on both counts...

Maybe this K&N system is not all that bad, but I agree about the power claims.

As for the low power that they made, it could have been at high altitude and they did not apply a correction factor??? It must have been around 8000 or 9000 ft if that was the case!
could be accidental, I would imagine if you postioning a fan correctly (for
cooling) while dynoing a GT3 you could probably create a equal/greater ram
air effect which could result in sunch gains ...

dynoing a GT3
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

speaking of engine power increases ... EVOMS http://tinyurl.com/muvsz9

Anyone installed it yet, thoughts?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

three summers ago i put one of their superchargers on my 997 C4S.

it was significantly faster, no doubt. about stock 996TT fast. but the engine ran poorly, idled poorly, would die when i turned the air on, and overheated on hot days. other than that, it was "just fine". oh yeah, random CEL's here and there.

i finally took it off and sold it.

they didn't return my calls or e mails. the guy who sold it to me said that they were coming out with a "fix" for the CPU, but i got tired of waiting. FWIW, he's out of biz too i'm told (K.C.)
Old 06-19-2009, 01:53 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

You can get a bit of power with a good tune and better gas but other than building your motor... 3.8 etc... no easy way to get power out of these cars.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the MAF problems generally come from the owner over oiling the filter and it sucking into the intake.

IMHO generally a waist of time to think the airfilter is going to gain that much over the stock ones. BMC makes a nice filter but i use to replace them at stock intervels negating the "forever" u-clean it factor.

Quick Reply: 25 more ponies?