Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

q's for those selling gt3's

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q's for those selling gt3's

Do all of you selling right now get calls from people that only want a car that has never seen the track? Do people buy a gt3 for any other reason?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Just to add 2 comments for thoughts.

If one sells his car with new tires and new brake pads, how can you prove that it has been to a track or not?

It is like when you see a for sale ad, the car was claimed to have never been driven in rain and always garaged, does that mean anything to anyone? How can you prove it?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
MarekN
Racer

With PCCB cars this should be easier to discern because tracked rotors have a different look to them after a fairly short time. They can be in good shape, but the look is definitely a little different.

I have nothing against tracked cars, but to be fair, I think that a tracked car should carry a different price than a purely street-driven car because the two applications are clearly very different in terms of the (hypothetical) wear of the car and all the elements that make it up. I think all of us here understand the subtle differences.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:18 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian S
Do people buy a gt3 for any other reason?
Yep; some just want the most responsive, powerful normally aspirated 911 for their daily driver.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

FYI: I bought my RS specifically for track fun. When i went looking for a GT3/RS, i wasnt interested in paying for unnecessary options and higher mileage didnt bother me as these engines can go a long time when cared for properly.
Since i was going to occassionally race the car i also wasnt interested in paying for a garage queen only to transform it into an occassional track *****.
The fact that i bought my RS from two responsible previous owners who track quite often and care for the car accordingly was actually quite appealing for me as i know it has been tried and tested.

That being said, a friend of mine who dosnt track is looking for a 997 GT3 and would prefer a low mile vergin example for just daily driving. He enjoys the fact that the GT3 represents what a Porsche 911 should be. Pure, simple, fun, fast.

So it is safe to say there are a range of buyers out there for the GT3.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

though i drive my cars a lot, i understand the appeal of having a garage queen and there's nothing wrong with it (just not my cup of tea, but i drink my teas with 6 brown sugar cubes). when ppl call to inquire about my cars and want one with no track miles., i tell them to contact other owners whom i know have garage queens.

it's pretty easy to tell if the car has been tracked.
the "porsche" on the calipers will turn yellow.
take the brake pads out, if the piston rubber seals are cracked to hell. it's been tracked.
look at the brake pad sensors, most track cars will have that removed.
do DME dump. if you track, you will have both Type 1 and 2 over rev.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

If one sells his car with new tires and new brake pads, how can you prove that it has been to a track or not?
What Mooty says + you can see dark maroon rear calipers from a mile away...

If a buyer just wants to buy it as a weekend car or Garage queen they will want an untracked car and pay more, if the buyer intends to track the car and does not mind to put all the money in a car for seats, , wheels, belts, clear bra, Traqmate etc. they probably will want an untracked car also.

Me, I am cheap and I want the car no option, tracked with all the track stuff because they are the lowest priced and you do not have to add $$.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

I apparently just haven't hit the right buyers yet then (btw there are about a bazillion companies that will advertise your car that will try to scam you if your phone number gets public.. big mistake)

The right buyer will be happy that I spent over a grand on different alignments to come up with what the car has now and a second set of wheels with hoosiers and the clear bra so the car really is garage queen quality in appearance just driven properly.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could care less if a car is tracked or even crashed. As long as it is straight and sound it will only effect the price. That said I did buy a year old with 2,500 soft miles did not have a single over rev other than zone 1.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Given the choice I personally would rather buy a car which has not been tracked vs one that has given all other things equal. I don't think the buyers are saying they are not going to track it and make it a garage queen, but rather prefer one that already hasn't been...so they can be the ones to first beat it to all hell.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

What do you guys think the values are? I couldn't even pull 90k on ebay recently. The only guy wanted a non-tracked gt3.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

What do you guys think the values are? I couldn't even pull 90k on ebay recently. The only guy wanted a non-tracked gt3.
What are the specs of your car and mileage? $90k in this market buys a VERY loaded and lo-mile 997 GT3.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

7gt3 are low to mid 80's i am afraid.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
7gt3 are low to mid 80's i am afraid.
+1
Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

That would be my problem then, my car is fairly low optioned, 2008 and 12k miles.

Quick Reply: q's for those selling gt3's