Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 PCCB Failure (brakes melt)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neros
I did. I had one track day on them and it ate through 50%. That day it ate through the remaining 50% and the calipers! I would have never expected the pads to last 2 track days only.
Sorry to hear about this braking issue. That really sucks.

That said, when you found out it went through 50% on day 1 and then you started day 2 with 50% left.....what did you think was going to happen? It seems to be common knowledge that pads will wear out faster during the last 50% so I'd expect day 2 to be running on the backing plates by mid afternoon.

Factory spec or not, the combo of your car, that track and your driving style seems to require fresh pads each track day. I sure hope you can get some ideas here in addition to trying different pad materials that can make it less expensive and more fun for you.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I talk about disabling traction control, I mean pulling out the fuse of traction control or something dramatic. Not simply pressing the button...
Have you actualy removed the fuse when at the track?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
neros
Advanced

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I have been following this thread for a while, and things are just not adding up.

This thread is almost useless, not because there is not good information or insight, but because without actual observation it is impossible to determine the root cause.

It is like calling a doctor and asking for a diagnosis over the phone, easy (for him) to make assumptions and arrive at the wrong conclusions.

Many will use your post to confirm a bias against PCCB; but it flies in the face of "observed" experience by very professional drivers (Pobst included).

There are apparent contradictions re your statements about switching traction control off, (and see above)... without being there and observing the happenings it is a fools errand to try and guess because there are so many variables.

It is understandable that you are upset but to put the blame on Porsche seems like a pretty big stretch at this point.

Again, if it is just me that is confused then I apologize.
Originally Posted by mdrums
+1 I was just thinking the same thing.
Don't take this the wrong way but there are no inconsistencies in my story. When ever I mention that my traction control is off, I have always meant TC and SC. I never drive with any aids on period. The inconsistencies are other people assuming I do not turn off all aids when I say traction control. I have been tracking cars for a long time and I am definitely not learning as I go here.

My sole purpose for this forum was to try to find another driver of a GT2 that has the same issue. My goal was not to whine or complain about my situation but to try and find another case of this. I am obviously a Porsche fan and I am upset that this is happening. When people ask questions, I am happy to answer them but I get frustrated when I think about the situation. Obviously its hard to find a GT2 at all, let alone a driver that tracks the GT2. When I get angry at Porsche, its about their lack of interest in resolving this issue. I have a 996 Turbo with 550HP, a 997 Targa 4S and a Supercharged 996 Carrera C2 with 500HP all which I have been tracking for many years and I have never had any problems with brakes with any of them. The Targa has a similar traction control system than the GT2 and the brakes are perfect. The Turbo has an older version and the C2 I ordered with no traction control.

My point here is I am used to driving high horsepower cars on the track and I have never had issues before. I bought a GT2 with PCCB and in 2,500 miles I have managed to melt 2 sets of calipers doing exactly what I have always done in the past. For some reason, the combination of PCCB and whatever traction systems the car has does not allow you to drive the car hard. I have heard a lot of people saying I need to adjust my driving style to the car but the problem is that you never know what the limit is until you reach it. I never know how slow I have to get on the throttle or how slow I have to exit a turn until its too late and the brakes are overcooked and I could be heading into a wall. I should always be worrying about my lines and my technique, not about whether or not I am driving within the limits of the computer. I should be able to enjoy the car in its purest form, not be babied around by traction systems.

I am sure you can all appreciate how frustrating this is because its a lose lose situation...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
neros
Advanced

I have been following this thread for a while, and things are just not adding up.

This thread is almost useless, not because there is not good information or insight, but because without actual observation it is impossible to determine the root cause.

It is like calling a doctor and asking for a diagnosis over the phone, easy (for him) to make assumptions and arrive at the wrong conclusions.

Many will use your post to confirm a bias against PCCB; but it flies in the face of "observed" experience by very professional drivers (Pobst included).

There are apparent contradictions re your statements about switching traction control off, (and see above)... without being there and observing the happenings it is a fools errand to try and guess because there are so many variables.

It is understandable that you are upset but to put the blame on Porsche seems like a pretty big stretch at this point.

Again, if it is just me that is confused then I apologize.
Originally Posted by mdrums
+1 I was just thinking the same thing.
Originally Posted by Z06
Have you actualy removed the fuse when at the track?
Never its just an idea someone mentioned but I heard that would disable ABS as well and maybe make the computer a little crazy.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
red89
Racer

calling Dr Jones
calling Dr Jones
Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM
neros
Advanced

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Sorry to hear about this braking issue. That really sucks.

That said, when you found out it went through 50% on day 1 and then you started day 2 with 50% left.....what did you think was going to happen? It seems to be common knowledge that pads will wear out faster during the last 50% so I'd expect day 2 to be running on the backing plates by mid afternoon.

Factory spec or not, the combo of your car, that track and your driving style seems to require fresh pads each track day. I sure hope you can get some ideas here in addition to trying different pad materials that can make it less expensive and more fun for you.

Good luck!
I agree that the smaller the pad, the more heat will get transfered. The issue is if I don't use the pads, I will just have too many sets of 50% used PCCB pads lying around because every time I go to the track, I use 50% and they are worthless for the second day and I need to exchange them. On a regular brake system, I can go to the track and drive the car until there is little pad left. Sure the brakes will run slightly hotter than usual with less pad but they'll still work and they certainly will not melt the caliper.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am sure you can all appreciate how frustrating this is because its a lose lose situation...
Absolutely, there is a great deal of empathy around here for your situation.

It is just impossible to do a root cause analysis and come to a meaningful, reliable and/or verifiable conclusion (IMO).
Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies if the tone has come across wrong. I think we're flabbergasted that normal use can cause a problem such as this. You'd think Porsche would be jumping through hoops to make it right.

I still think the brakes are engaged at all times and the only way to tell will be to do some outside experiments without Porsche's help. Perhaps you can find a respected independent shop and have them go through the system and conduct tests. I wonder if you can use the systems tester to see when brakes, ABS, etc. are being applied.

From my experience on the GT3, I can say that when you de-activate TC, it is truly de-activated. My rear brake wear drops dramatically even though there is little change in terms of overall feel from the driver's seat on smooth tracks.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in fixing this problem. I also had a rare and unusual problem with my car that became a challenge to get covered under warranty. Porsche eventually came around, but it took a lot of patience and understanding from both parties.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Melting brakes, disintegrating LSDs, leaky RMS and unwilling to warranty, what has happened to Porsche? I'd like to replace my 14 year old 123K miles 993tt, but am afraid to trade it's reliability for a very expensive roll of the dice!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Throughout all of this...
How did the fronts hold up??
Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Melting brakes, disintegrating LSDs, leaky RMS and unwilling to warranty, what has happened to Porsche? I'd like to replace my 14 year old 123K miles 993tt, but am afraid to trade it's reliability for a very expensive roll of the dice!
Don't do it!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Ok, I'm not kidding anymore. Release the parking brake.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

The OP showed the car to a PCNA rep but it seems he only did a visual inspection. In these days of poor diagnosis in car service, I wonder if something was missed. An experienced Porsche mechanic should be able to inspect all relevant systems and see if something is off. And I'm not just saying plugging in the computer diagnostic tool... but a true reasoned inspection.

I too agree with others that many drivers over-brake and would benefit from learning better technique but that may not be the issue in this case.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

I too agree with others that many drivers over-brake and would benefit from learning better technique but that may not be the issue in this case.
I agree. I was threshold braking, late braking just tickling ABS at just about every corner at Sebring. I did not start out this way but a few instructors I had told me I need to brake way later and a lot harder.

Well I learned how to threshold brake with the best of them...I also ruined a set of Carrera S calipers and went through pads like crazy. I pitted after some hard laps and my front brakes were on fire and smoking a lot when I stopped to check air pressure!

I then talked to a good friend who teaches at PSDS and read some about how to really drive the car and also spoke at length to Hurley Haywood. I was taught and doing this all wrong!

I now no longer threshold brake every corner, carry more speed and thus faster laps. Plus my rotors, pads and calipers last longer.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM
shanepotter
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest taking one of your other cars to a future DE as well as the GT2. Track the other car. Work with the DE organizer for a variance at the end of the day or at dusk to test your GT2 for a short session. Leverage 2 way communication, video and knowledgeable spotters in known braking zones. If your rotors are glowing while off the brakes or under acceleration, it should be clear, a computer aid is activating. Since you are blowing through pads, rotors and calipers at such an astonishing rate, I might be oversimplifying, but it seems just a few laps at the track and proper support/help could starting a basis for your root cause analysis. I can't imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you and your new Porsche. Best of luck getting this sorted out.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 PCCB Failure (brakes melt)