Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cobalt Racing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cobalt Racing Brakes

Anyone have any experience with Cobalt Racing Brakes. I have an event sponsor willing to order 997 3 brakes, & rotors. I am going to give him part numbers and he will see what is available.

We had an interesting conversation about Porsche aftermarket parts. He indicated that there are only a few manufactures who make the parts and most everyone else is a distributor. Anyway, I am going to give him what he needs and try out some options on pads and rotors. I will post options when I get them
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Geesh I have never heard of anyone needing aftermarket brakes for a Porsche before. Sure PCCB probs but guys just order Cup brakes. You think this is worth it?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:55 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Anyone have any experience with Cobalt Racing Brakes. I have an event sponsor willing to order 997 3 brakes, & rotors. I am going to give him part numbers and he will see what is available.

We had an interesting conversation about Porsche aftermarket parts. He indicated that there are only a few manufactures who make the parts and most everyone else is a distributor. Anyway, I am going to give him what he needs and try out some options on pads and rotors. I will post options when I get them

Frank,

I have used Cobalt pads on my SCCA T3 S2000 with very good results. I have a set of Cobalt XR2 pads to try on the GT2 after I wear out the Carbotechs that are on there now. I have no knowledge of any rotors that they supply

Peter
Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Geesh I have never heard of anyone needing aftermarket brakes for a Porsche before. Sure PCCB probs but guys just order Cup brakes. You think this is worth it?
Do I detect sacrasm?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Frank,

I have used Cobalt pads on my SCCA T3 S2000 with very good results. I have a set of Cobalt XR2 pads to try on the GT2 after I wear out the Carbotechs that are on there now. I have no knowledge of any rotors that they supply

Peter
That was a confusing post. Late nighter, I was telling him I use Protosport rotors, they are made in Germany. He was commenting that they are likely made at the same place and that he would get access to GT3 iron rotors and would get me some prices.

the Cobalt issue was he could get me the pads, do I want to try them, being a Pagid only guy to this point I thought I would see if others had use them.
Does your GT2 have the same pads as a 997-3 if so do you have any part numbers to share for Cobalt. Please give us a write up on them when you use them.
This guy runs cup cars, I am not saying he is running cobalt on his cup cars, i did not ask, but he knows what he is doing.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know anyone who owns a Porsche that uses them , FWTW - or I'd pass on what I heard. Sorry -
Old 05-22-2009, 03:10 PM
joyride5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Cobalt XTR (older name) in my bimmer and had great results.

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
That was a confusing post. Late nighter, I was telling him I use Protosport rotors, they are made in Germany. He was commenting that they are likely made at the same place and that he would get access to GT3 iron rotors and would get me some prices.

the Cobalt issue was he could get me the pads, do I want to try them, being a Pagid only guy to this point I thought I would see if others had use them.
Does your GT2 have the same pads as a 997-3 if so do you have any part numbers to share for Cobalt. Please give us a write up on them when you use them.
This guy runs cup cars, I am not saying he is running cobalt on his cup cars, i did not ask, but he knows what he is doing.
As soon as I use them will write it up, but it will be awhile. I am running the Yellow Ceramic Calipers with 996 Cup rotors on the front and 997 Cup Rotors 350 x 28mm on the rear of the GT2. I do know that Cobalt is just starting to make pads for the Porsche.

Peter
Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Oddly enough, I was just talking to a guy at the track yesterday who is about to try them on his Turbo. Id be interested in trying something new as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Never tried them....I have run Pagid and Performance Friction and am currently running Pagid RS29 Yellows. I would try out Cobalts if they gave them to me.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried them on my NSX with great results. Those were DE pads. I would think there race winning tradition would speak volumes for their pad quality. There website gives excellent specs on each pad.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/compounds/
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I tried them on my NSX with great results. Those were DE pads. I would think there race winning tradition would speak volumes for their pad quality. There website gives excellent specs on each pad.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/compounds/
Good link, I will get some info on availability and price.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Racing Brakes