Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

got some CGT shells

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Oh noooooooooooooooooo I live 10 min away from Autosport, good guys but this car was crashed, and my shop where my car gets worked on is right around the corner from them, so I know I just saw the owner and a gentleman driving this car a few weeks ago too, but this car was taken out on a test drive or by a service guy, forgot and crashed during the cold winter months here in NY, sorry to rain on your parade CJ, but aren't you glad you know this now?
I remember hearing about this...how do you know it is the same car?? Does it really matter, though, if he's gonna drive the ***** off of it??? as long as it was repaired properly and he got the deal he wanted; no biggie in my book
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
Herman you have actually held onto that cup for sometime now!
Lou, you have the most butt-kick avatars on the block!

yeah, a Cup is just the end of a long winding road. there really isn't anywhere to go but down unless i pick up one of Kiki's castoffs and my wallet can't support a habit like that! can't live that large on a mere surgeon's pay grade.

almost came down to TMS this winter but work has a habit of gettin in the way...

what are you fighting this year?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an eye on this car. As long as the price is right, I think it's a good car. It has been repaired after an accident that someone referred to earlier, but as long as it is done correctly, then it should be no problem. It was priced at a discount and CJ got an even bigger discount from that! Given that it will not be a museum car, I do not see a problem with the situation.

Good luck with it. I hope it all works out.

Mario
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by leif997
I remember hearing about this...how do you know it is the same car?? Does it really matter, though, if he's gonna drive the ***** off of it??? as long as it was repaired properly and he got the deal he wanted; no biggie in my book
pretty much agree as long as the frame is straight

many CGT's were purchased by guys who have no business in an exotic, much less one of those. more dollars than sense i guess.

that car is an E-ticket and there really should have been a qualifier or a course to go along with it. you get out of shape with that package and you're in deep. only one i know of went to a guy who knew how to handle it
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by leif997
I mean I have no problem with it, he is just unaware of it and thought he was getting the deal of a century, I mean there is a reason for that price of whatever it is.. It's the same car, I met the owner of that Carrera GT, only red one they had there, was there all the time for storing/maintenance and such.. I would buy it at a discount and drive the hell out of it too, makes more sense for US DRIVERS, who wont feel bad about driving the hell out of it.

But at the same time, on any car, especially a car like that, I would have to know it's mechanically sound, as it's not a car you want issues with, suspension/failures, etc..

Originally Posted by tmario
I had an eye on this car. As long as the price is right, I think it's a good car. It has been repaired after an accident that someone referred to earlier, but as long as it is done correctly, then it should be no problem. It was priced at a discount and CJ got an even bigger discount from that! Given that it will not be a museum car, I do not see a problem with the situation.

Good luck with it. I hope it all works out.

Mario
Exactly, for a great driver it's awesome, but make sure it's all sorted and done right.. I've heard of nightmare stories of previous GT2/3's in accidents, that couldn't track straight/hold alignments that well and people never knew it was in an accident :/
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,233 Likes on 608 Posts

I knew about the work, that's why I got it so cheap. as mentioned, I could really care less about low miles or whatever as long as it's been maintained. I've put 60k miles on porsches in the last 4 years and have no regrets other than the increase in tire costs over the last few years.

if the car isn't "immaculate" upon arrival inspection, deal is off. everything has to be as good as they say it is, or I wouldn't cut that big of a check!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I knew about the work, that's why I got it so cheap. as mentioned, I could really care less about low miles or whatever as long as it's been maintained. I've put 60k miles on porsches in the last 4 years and have no regrets other than the increase in tire costs over the last few years.

if the car isn't "immaculate" upon arrival inspection, deal is off. everything has to be as good as they say it is, or I wouldn't cut that big of a check!
Ah I see CJ, and I agree man.. May I suggest bringing it over to my boys over at Huntington Porsche right down the road? Thom is a Porsche master tech, was rated one of the best in the country, and all of the rest of the guy's are knowledgeable cool dudes.. You can get a thorough PPI done there, and I can run over there and take a look at the car for you, just give me the word, if you need anything!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

it's in arizona on a truck to Ruf Dallas already for the inspection.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't straighten the frame in a CGT, and if it has been pranged ... run don't walk.

I know of cars damaged that had estimates in the $660K region to repair (after x-rays, obviously they were totaled) and they didn't look they had that much damage.

Carbon Fibre has some weird characteristics and "repairability" is not one of them.

Normally, I would not comment on this "done deal", but since the OP said he had the right to inspection, I suggest he have the particular car x-rayed and if all is OK then he can savour his good fortune; and if it is not he can return the car per the agreement.

However, the idea of buying a CGT (that has had damage) without full inspection is a fool's errand, especially from an non-authorized Porsche Dealer. There is still enough demand for this car that Dealers will pay up for cars that they know to be "pristine" examples.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:05 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
You can't straighten the frame in a CGT, and if it has been pranged ... run don't walk.

I know of cars damaged that had estimates in the $660K region to repair (after x-rays, obviously they were totaled) and they didn't look they had that much damage.

Carbon Fibre has some weird characteristics and "repairability" is not one of them.

Normally, I would not comment on this "done deal", but since the OP said he had the right to inspection, I suggest he have the particular car x-rayed and if all is OK then he can savour his good fortune; and if it is not he can return the car per the agreement.

However, the idea of buying a CGT (that has had damage) without full inspection is a fool's errand, especially from an non-authorized Porsche Dealer. There is still enough demand for this car that Dealers will pay up for cars that they know to be "pristine" examples.
This post couldn't have been more on the money, 100%.

CJ, you have the upper hand, I hope it all checks out for you, and you enjoy the hell out of it post inspection/finalizing the deal.. Good luck
Old 05-20-2009, 12:19 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yeah a sight unseen deal is a bad move on this type of car. from what I've seen/heard of the before pics, it was a bumper replacement, not a car on car or "while driving" type gig.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

There's been some good advice given. I'm sure nothing will happen unless it all checks out.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear you are looking for a SRF. Are you still considering IMSA GT3?

______
Jason
Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats CJ on the potential CGT - and I hope all is well with you.

I'm real interested in those Spec Boxsters and hope to play with guys like Mooty and Thusley in the future. May be moving to Vegas, so hope to set up shop at Spring Mountain. I'll be closer to all that POC track action...

-Blake
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Congrats CJ on the potential CGT - and I hope all is well with you.

I'm real interested in those Spec Boxsters and hope to play with guys like Mooty and Thusley in the future. May be moving to Vegas, so hope to set up shop at Spring Mountain. I'll be closer to all that POC track action...

-Blake
in your area, i think BRread, love his name, sold his cup and is now in BSR too!

moving to vegas... oh no, i wouldn't want to hang around with that "thusly" character..... did you see the new toy he got? do you think he really need any more toys????

Quick Reply: got some CGT shells