Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: opinions requested for next toy buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the great replies, guys!! I love all of the suggested cars but I was and am leaning to the FGT as it is consistant with my penchant for rawness.....now begs the question; how can one trust that the car or cars that I may be interested in have not been significantly beat on? This is my first foray into the "previously owned" market and my inexperience will be evident.....how should I approach this with a current owner and whom should I trust to do independant inspections as indicated??

thanks.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
Thanks for all of the great replies, guys!! I love all of the suggested cars but I was and am leaning to the FGT as it is consistant with my penchant for rawness.....now begs the question; how can one trust that the car or cars that I may be interested in have not been significantly beat on? This is my first foray into the "previously owned" market and my inexperience will be evident.....how should I approach this with a current owner and whom should I trust to do independant inspections as indicated??

thanks.
I would suggest that you put the word out quietly, and be patient.

The car you are looking for is probably sitting in somone's garage and they are debating their next acquisition.

The "due diligence" is the easy part, once you find the right car (it will speak for itself) and I could give you lessons in paranoia.

If it is the FGT that you ultimately decide upon, ask the members here to email their friends about possible cars. I know of a few, but I don't know if they are for sale. I have one friend who owns a pristine car and wants to buy a CGT (under the same conditions as you). Unfortunately, I think it would be in addition to the FGT.

Ignore all the BS about "bottom fishers" and how cheap cars can be bought (there is no free lunch). IMO, the cheap car is not the car you are looking for and a good car will establish its own value.

There is a separate thread about a recently acquired CGT (with a "purported" questionable history). I am confident the buyer has a sinking feeling in his stomach at the moment; and it won't go away until a lot of inspections have been done. Hopefully it is a false alarm.

I repeat, patience is your friend. And your friends here should help you manage your patience.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks.
yes Sir. i try to never buy used cars (but then again, i have dated very few virgin women as an adult). don't like the idea of someone rodding the pi$$ out of a car and then flipping to me

OTOH someone always gets a car that has been lovingly and respectfully broken in and attended to when they buy my trade-offs. so i guess there are cars out there like that.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,298 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I would take R8 V10 depending on what the price will be. I hope it is in the $145K range. If it gets closer to the $180K range, then I'll rather have the Gallardo LP560-4. Does anyone have a guess what the R8 V10 will be?
audi wants in the 175-200k range for the v10 from what I recall...gallardo 560-4 is just a few bucks more once you're in that territory.

FGT is a beastly car, sounds amazing, and is unlike anything else on the road from a timeless design (40+ years strong)

CGT is better looking but another 100-160k higher. I've always fancied a FGT as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no affiliation

ford gt for sale

I like the blue one

and

ford gt for sale

barely used -- only 26 miles
Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,298 Likes on 615 Posts

I'd go for the 06 on top- the dark tungsten or whatever it's called.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

I like the R8 but it's missing something IMO. FGT for me.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i just let go of mine it was insane... yes there are deals on them but you really have to be careful buying one!!!!

look for the saleen upgrade done by the factory for the rear suspension.....

a lot of these cars have been wrecked you need to know that..\

look at rear louvers see if they are warped lil indicator how hot motor has gotten..

there some discussion on six speed about the car...

couple of problems with car... not a weekend trip car... 0 storage space
a pillar blocks visibility to the left
and you need three parking spaces if you want to open doors
you will not go ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!! with out drawing a crowd i swear to the good lord about that!!!!!

you will loveeeeeeee the car.... I only have two reasons i sold the car

one is 8 the other she is 9
Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man

one is 8 the other she is 9
you have two and still get to have cars?
i am not allowed two seaters now. i used to drive mia in my lotus, RS, GT3, cay etc. but max is too fat (23 lbs, 5 months) and wont fit in the trunk any more.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Ford GT. Rarer and destined for true classic status.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
you have two and still get to have cars?
i am not allowed two seaters now. i used to drive mia in my lotus, RS, GT3, cay etc. but max is too fat (23 lbs, 5 months) and wont fit in the trunk any more.
see you guys have it wrong. i have four at home. now, not even a standard sedan can seat us all so i need no excuses for a two-seater!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

great advise and info, guys!! keep it coming...I'm taking notes

Patience.......???? As other surgeons on this board know; we are a lot who are used to and expect immediate gratification......I will try, though, in this case, so as to choose the best car for the $$...so put out the word to your friends, guys for an FGT that doesn't have to be a Queen (a princess will do but was not abused....

thanks.

I wil be patient...I will be patient...I will be patient...............
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

do you have a first choice for color?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by richk
do you have a first choice for color?
Good question...for historical purposes; I love the Gulf delivery colors (was that an option or did people do it after market?)
then:
Blue with white stripes
White with blue
red with white.......
Old 05-20-2009, 05:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Good question...for historical purposes; I love the Gulf delivery colors (was that an option or did people do it after market?)
then:
Blue with white stripes
White with blue
red with white.......
yes they made a "Heritage" color as i recall and that's the Gulf Blue. usually demanded a premium

well the truth is (as you know) it's only surgeons who cure people. a chance to cut is a chance to cure!

Quick Reply: OT: opinions requested for next toy buy