Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Potential chassis flex: Need to be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
YseanY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
I get some chassis flex going into my driveway. It's a valley curb and not too steep but the car definitely creaks and pops. Most of the time it comes from the front windshield. Occasionally I hear the rear window pop going over speed bumps at an angle.
same with mine... though i'm not sure if the pop/creaking is from the windws or somewhere else.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
i'm confused.... so which is it for GT3/RS? seam welded or not seam welded?
They are definitely NOT seam welded. As another poster pointed out there is always some flex in anything. Look at it this way...would you rather it flexed or cracked?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
They are definitely NOT seam welded. As another poster pointed out there is always some flex in anything. Look at it this way...would you rather it flexed or cracked?
Thanks for the clarification NinetyOneC2
Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

My 07 makes the occasional "crack" noise on uneven pavement, seems to emanate from the S/R area. Of course the front springs boing most times I back it out of the garage. I think it's the stiff shell intracting with other areas of the car that flex more.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
As another poster pointed out there is always some flex in anything. Look at it this way...would you rather it flexed or cracked?
Moreover, I take the fact that GT2s and GT3s lift a wheel on the way into some driveways as a sign that they AREN'T flexing — or, more accurately, flexing as much as something else would. Put under load, yes — but so many things put your chassis under load and I'm not sure you can avoid that unless you want to park the car and look at it. When I lived in SF, various 996 and 997 Carrera press cars would never lift a wheel on the way into my (fairly steep initially) driveway. The GTs all required a two-step entry/exit to avoid scraping, and all of them lifted a wheel quite a bit. For me, that confirmed that a) the non-GT suspension was softer and there was more effective travel and that b) the 996/997 shell was very, very stiff.

Yes, chassis are wear items -- a subject no one wants to address. That said, I know of an awful lot of 1970s Porsche street cars with 100,000-300,000+ miles that feel structurally sound despite starting with vastly inferior structures when compared to your 997. I suspect (hope?) you'll wear other things out on the car long before the tub!

pete

Quick Reply: Potential chassis flex: Need to be concerned?