Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see slotted ceramics.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Smindustries
Lightness is the major problem. I traded in an Exige S on an '07 RS last week and feel like I've made the worst mistake of my car-buying life. The extra thousand pounds is so evident that the car just isn't fun. There's no way they'll add enough lightness to make me buy a new one.
You'll never get to Exige S weights, but there's a guy on the board to has gone back and forth between Exiges and GT3s and he's settled with a 997 GT3 that I think he's gotten down to 2800 pounds. He has claimed that it has a much lighter feel and considers it the best of both worlds since it's much more stable and has a lot more grunt.

I have no personal experience with GT3s, but the feeling of weight in a car has a lot to do with slack in the suspension and other factors besides just weight alone. I wouldn't be surprised if lightening a GT3 by 10% or 300 pounds would equate to a feeling that's 700-800 pounds closer to the Exige's 1000 pound lighter feeling (by analogy).
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smindustries
Lightness is the major problem. I traded in an Exige S on an '07 RS last week and feel like I've made the worst mistake of my car-buying life. The extra thousand pounds is so evident that the car just isn't fun. There's no way they'll add enough lightness to make me buy a new one.
No mistake. You got one of the safest cars on the road. I know a guy that totaled his Elise by going through a pot hole. Exige S is a nice track car, but I would not like to use it on the streets.

A Corolla engine, Toyota supercharger and Toyota LSD, not the best powerplant out there. I prefer a 3.4 9A1 Cayman S with LSD, PASM and Sport seats, a real car.

The GT3 RS is as capable as the Exige S at autocross, and it eats the Exige S at any track. The exception being the Exige Cup, but a GT3 Cup would eat that all day, or a GT3 RS on slicks.

The RS can lose 300 lbs and feel better, not a difficult job. Battery, wheels, brakes, seats, bumpers, fenders, LW carpets, CF door panels, Ti exhaust and a few airbags removed.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Spied GT3RS Autoweek