Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS on US soil...new photos...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Having just driven the new 997.2 GT3 in Germany I can tell you that the next RS will be about pure performance. Care about styling...don't get the RS. Want the ultimate track 911...this will be your ride.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The part I don't understand is how Ferrari can sell the F430 with a lexan window and no side airbags in 2009, and Porsche cannot.

I would love to see the Euro sport seats in the next GT3 RS, with a CF deck lid and that wing, the Ti exhaust, LWFW and those wider and hopefully lighter front fenders. Enough to save 75 lbs.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The part I don't understand is how Ferrari can sell the F430 with a lexan window and no side airbags in 2009, and Porsche cannot....
The lexan is not in direct proximity to the occupants...the airbags I know nothing about...
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
and 235s in the front, even with those flares.
I was hoping for 325s and 245s.

Flash
Old 05-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't think you can count on what is cobbled together and mounted on that test mule...the wheels/tires don't fill out the wheel wells; either the offsets are wrong or wider stock is coming...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The rear wing looks like a cup wing almost too boy racer.
I read somewhere (over the rainbow!!) that PDK wont be in the
GT3 for awhile. Something about they dont match in philosophy
Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Fascinating to see an example in the US. Regardless of the details, it suggests there will be an RS variant (at all) and that it will come to the US markets ... has there been a US test mule spied for the humble GT3?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I love the shaped rear wing, better than the current one..
But overall I think I like the MKI look better.

So far it starts to look like only the same differences between the MKI GT3 and RS minus the sunroof..
We already see evidence of wider track and Porsche will clearly differentiate the RS. I think this is a moot point. The 997.1 has proven that the RS, though far more expensive, rewarded the buyer for the cost even though there was no more HP or displacement or anything more than suspension geometry, a flywheel and the absence of an absurd sunroof. Talk about "philosophy" Porsche marketing is full of sheet -- if PDK is against the philosophy of the GT3, but a sunroof is not? Fuuck me.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
So far I like everything about this car...especially if it gets PDK
I can't say I like the style changes, but the engine and the handling are enough for me to make the update. If they bring PDK, that's game, set and match. Of course PDK will be in the GT3 and RS sooner or later, but will it be a 2010 model year, that's the question.

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Not sure if the 997 mkII GT3 has titanium exhaust, but looks like the RS does...
That's not Ti blue, that's stainless nickel blue with heat bands.

Originally Posted by flash1034
Looks like the same ol 305s on the rear.

Flash
If you can count the width of that tire from that picture, you're a marvel. I expect the rear section width will stay in line with the modest power bump and be less than the GT2. I don't need more rubber on my GT3 in the rear.

Originally Posted by Jon70
and 235s in the front, even with those flares.
I run 265's on the front of the 997 GT3 factory stock alignment and ride height. That switch along solves almost all 997.1 GT3 problems.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The part I don't understand is how Ferrari can sell the F430 with a lexan window and no side airbags in 2009, and Porsche cannot.

I would love to see the Euro sport seats in the next GT3 RS, with a CF deck lid and that wing, the Ti exhaust, LWFW and those wider and hopefully lighter front fenders. Enough to save 75 lbs.
No argument from me here. Porsche ignores US regulations that Ferrari exploits. In this case, I think it's production volume and "unique or special" unit production.

The lexan is not in direct proximity to the occupants...the airbags I know nothing about...
The Scuderia has no side airbags. How Ferrari makes this happen and Porsche doesn't, I dunno. The GT2 seat is rigid (no seat-back angle adjustment) but the Scuderia seat has no air-bag and it has an angle adjustment.

Originally Posted by flash1034
I was hoping for 325s and 245s.

Flash
I run 265's on the front of the 997 GT3 factory stock alignment and ride height. That switch along solves almost all 997.1 GT3 problems.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't think you can count on what is cobbled together and mounted on that test mule...the wheels/tires don't fill out the wheel wells; either the offsets are wrong or wider stock is coming...
Agreed. With Turbo wheels on the back and seemingly stock GT3 wheels on the front, this car is not running centerlocks at the very least. Or maybe it is, but again, it would be like debating the most irrelevant minutiae when discovering the existence of life on Mars ... let's just focus on the revelation that there is life on Mars!

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The rear wing looks like a cup wing almost too boy racer.
I read somewhere (over the rainbow!!) that PDK wont be in the
GT3 for awhile. Something about they dont match in philosophy
The 997.2 RS wing is the same plane foil as the 997.1 RS wing, but it seems this car has flat carbon fiber end plates. In any case, it's a trivial detail ... if someone captures a photo of the next GT3 or RS sharing the Cup shifter, now, that would be worth some debate!

My concern about the link would be that it seems to lack details already known about the normal GT3 coming to the US.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:30 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 602 Posts

those turbo wheels are running the centerlock adapters
Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On the F 430, the partitiion between the engine and the driver is glass. So the one over the engine can be lexan for weight savings.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
...The 997.2 RS wing is the same plane foil as the 997.1 RS wing, but it seems this car has flat carbon fiber end plates. In any case, it's a trivial detail...
Not just the plane foil is different so is the deck lid...as for being trivial, most of Porsche's changes are usually minimal but they do improve performance.
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eclou
those turbo wheels are running the centerlock adapters
CL all the way around as well as the blue car next to it

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like the bulky 3 holes intake and the new wing and the wider front fenders. It's a winner even with the 3.8 and same power as the regular GT3.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
CL all the way around as well as the blue car next to it
Thanks. I hadn't seen that angle of the 997.2 RS rear -- the tape or whatever on the uprights is a bit of a question mark. I had seen a 997.2 something or other with a 997.1 RS wing element on it. So many test mules and variables. The decklid looks pretty serious.

As for HP, any hint of the RS maybe getting some differentiation there? Maybe 10 hp or something? Hopefully the RS will be lighter than the GT3 (and run the lighter flywheel) but I also hope they give it a horsepower edge too.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Not just the plane foil is different so is the deck lid...as for being trivial, most of Porsche's changes are usually minimal but they do improve performance.
I don't know if the support posts on this RS are going to make it to production. There are heavily taped/masked in that photo and it looks very Cup wing like.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks. I hadn't seen that angle of the 997.2 RS rear -- the tape or whatever on the uprights is a bit of a question mark. I had seen a 997.2 something or other with a 997.1 RS wing element on it. So many test mules and variables. The decklid looks pretty serious.

As for HP, any hint of the RS maybe getting some differentiation there? Maybe 10 hp or something? Hopefully the RS will be lighter than the GT3 (and run the lighter flywheel) but I also hope they give it a horsepower edge too.
In true RS fashion I suspect it'll be lighter than the "regular" GT3...as for power I don't know, although I do know Porsche wants there to be a bigger performance gap between the RS and the GT3...

Originally Posted by Pete
I don't know if the support posts on this RS are going to make it to production. There are heavily taped/masked in that photo and it looks very Cup wing like.
The uprights may or may not make it as long as everything else of that wing does, I'm ok with it.

Quick Reply: RS on US soil...new photos...