Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on Z06 GT1 from GT3 track guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OG - I drove a C5 Corvette as my daily driver for 10 years before switching to the 964. I did test drive the Z06 because I, too, was on the fence between a new Z06 or used 997TT. After much soul-searching I have decided to go with the 997TT, especially since picking up the 964 last year and just having so much fun with it (I should have purchased a used 964 10 years ago instead of buying the new Corvette back then).

In my opinion, the Porsche just can't be beat if you are looking at a long-term ownership proposition. The build quality of the Porsche is just lovely - the fit and finish, and the engineering are simply world-class and a joy to behold. My Corvette was just disappointing in this regard - everything seemed so cheaply put together and it showed, especially as the years wore on. And the C5 had so many mechanical failures - it left me stranded more than once.

While the GT3 is probably a fantastic car (especially the new version, just sounds mouth-watering from the reviews I've read), I decided on the 997TT because is such a good all-rounder, something I can drive year-round in any kind of weather, travel in comfort, and still go to the track.

You might consider picking up a used Z06 (2006 models are in the 40's maybe you can even find one in the high 30's if someone needs immediate cash) and driving it for 6 or 12 months, while you decide which Porsche to buy. I don't think it will take more time than that to get the Corvette out of your system, and hopefully the incremental depreciation won't be huge. I just wouldn't buy a new one at this point, just not worth it.

Good luck! That new GT3 sure sounds incredible!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
if you like it get it. I drove one prior to getting my 997. 1: It smelled like a bodyshop inside. no big deal but it did. 2: sure went fast. 3: I felt isolated from the motor 4: do not like the idea of having 20 brake pads.
It also felt gigantic compared to a 911. So I am happy I paid $10K more for a used 997GT3 than a new Z.
You got it right. I drove an '08 Vette for a year and it is a great car but it's not a 911. It handles quite well, but differently. It is more isolated and the seating position is closer to the rear axle giving a more distant view of the road. If you are a 911 fan and like the rear propulsion and go-kart precision, the Vette is not for you, otherwise it's a great sports car.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

So I am happy I paid $10K more for a used 997GT3 than a new Z
Thats an easy pick 997 GT3 over a new Z IF it was only $10K. The only reason I am considering the NEW
Z06 is because the Z should be 25k or More LESS than a used GT3. It has to be a great bargain and in the $30k less than the used 911's or it doesnt happen. IF the two were close in price then its like I said.
NO BRAINER For the 911 TT or GT3
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Thats an easy pick 997 GT3 over a new Z IF it was only $10K. The only reason I am considering the NEW
Z06 is because the Z should be 25k or More LESS than a used GT3. It has to be a great bargain and in the $30k less than the used 911's or it doesnt happen. IF the two were close in price then its like I said.
NO BRAINER For the 911 TT or GT3
there are many ways to calculate delta.

if you plan to keep the car for 20 years, yes, the corvette is ultimately cheaper as you amortize the total ownership cost.

but if you keep them say 5 years, the re-sale price of Z will be lower than re-sale price of P, especially an used P. so total out of pkt cost may not be so clear cut.

furthermore, bargain can be calculated many ways as well.
if by bargain, you mean Z has more hp/dollar, then yes, it's a bargain.
if by bargain, you mean it's discounted over msrp, then it's no bargain at all. it simply means msrp has been inflated. it's true cost is not "msrp-x=y", it's really just "Y". so the discount is really zero, as when you try to resale it, you start at Y not msrp.

there are very few cars i would rank with porsches: ferrari and lotus, that's about it. short of these brands, i prefer honda and toyotas. occasionally a gem comes along like CLK63, DTM...

how was your test drive? what did it feel to your guts. never buy a car with your brain, it will ALWAYS be wrong. buy a car using your ***, it will ALWAYS be right.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
never buy a car with your brain, it will ALWAYS be wrong. buy a car using your ***, it will ALWAYS be right.
Well said!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul,

Get another 997 GT3, they are getting cheap now. Even if you can get a Z06 below invoice, it will depreciate at a faster pace than a 997 GT3.

The C6 Z06 is not a good car. Yes, it has plenty of power in straight line, but I have been with them at California Speedway with my underpowered GT3 RS, and they are faster on straight line at low speeds, but at high speeds, the ultra wide body in the C6 Z06 hurts them, and the GT3 RS works better (the regular GT3 even better being narrower).

I have driven a few C5 and C6 vettes, good cars but not great, sort of boring.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Mooty Didnt go. I found another one in Lancaster which is closer. You guys have put a damper on
my Z06 and wifey didnt want to go. SO I will call lancaster tomorrow and see what they are thinking.

Like I said guys HAS to be blown away by the driving AND Has to be a GREAT bargain. I have had
TWO GT3s and one TT so I know what the bar has been set at.

What ARE 997 GT3 prices now??
Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Mooty Didnt go. I found another one in Lancaster which is closer. You guys have put a damper on
my Z06 and wifey didnt want to go. SO I will call lancaster tomorrow and see what they are thinking.

Like I said guys HAS to be blown away by the driving AND Has to be a GREAT bargain. I have had

$80K and up.....

I think a good used 997 RS would be the ultimate solution to desire!

hard to top, and you will be "**** of the walk!"
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
$80K and up.....

I think a good used 997 RS would be the ultimate solution to desire!

hard to top, and you will be "**** of the walk!"
u know price well.
there will always be sub 80k cars, maybe even sub 70 if seller gets desperate. and i have seen cars sold in last month at 110 (regular gt3, not RS). but the norm is 80-85 for a GT3 with 10,000 miles +/-
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on how much bodywork repairs you are will to accept. When I was looking it was a challenge to find a virgin even at the dealers. FOund one car (3 corner damage repaired) twice: In Seattle then ParkPlace. Same car it was just moved after my PPI uncovered the repairs. I then found my 2,533 mile car in perfect condition.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete
but still fast enough to keep up with or blow by anyone.
Speak for yourself Pete! I only see Martin in my rear view.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Thanks guys. I think what I get out of this is either buy used or get a plain Z06 and take the
$15k off. This GT1 edition is just a dress up package and its probably has the Corvette guys drooling
and I wont get such a good deal on a limited edition.
The longer I wait the better the deals are getting. I saw a 08 Aston Martin in the low 70s with 1.2K on the clock.
Why not pick up a used 996/7 GT3 again ...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
A lot of "instructors" are driving Z06's... and we push these cars pretty hard.
Did you ever experience thermic problems with the engine while driving the car hard on a track ? I'm just curious, as some track buddies of mine complained about it. One of them even needed a new engine (though replaced under warranty despite a lot of km on the track). Another one who participated in the Performance Training on Porsche's track at Leipzig a couple of weeks ago complained about excessive oil consumption (4 L / 1,000 km)....while the only component showing fatigue in my GT3 was the driver during 100 laps in 2 days the oiltemp gauge was "frozen" at 100°C and oil consumption was almost nil.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

You needs a GT3 again… your body is not built for crappy American cars...

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Porsche-Jeck;6521178]Did you ever experience thermic problems with the engine while driving the car hard on a track ? I'm just curious, as some track buddies of mine complained about it. One of them even needed a new engine (though replaced under warranty despite a lot of km on the track). Another one who participated in the Performance Training on Porsche's track at Leipzig a couple of weeks ago complained about excessive oil consumption (4 L / 1,000 km)....while the only component showing fatigue in my GT3 was the driver during 100 laps in 2 days the oiltemp gauge was "frozen" at 100°C and oil consumption was almost nil.[/QUOTE

I've not had any heat problems with the C6 Z06, even with ambient temp. @ ~ 100 F.

Both at Road Atlanta & VIR mid summer...

Oil temp. runs ~ 262 F
Water temp. runs ~ 223 F

I very seldom shift @ 7000 rpm (red line), most shifting done @ ~ 6400 rpm./peak hoursepower.

That might explain the difference.

I do use less than half a qt. of oil over two days... doesn't seem excessive.

We added a combo heavy duty radiator/oil cooler (Ron Davis) to two C5 Z06's...

that dropped the hot oil temp. from ~ 302F down to ~ 265F.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Z06 GT1 from GT3 track guys