Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 v GT3 RS values

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts
Default 997 GT3 v GT3 RS values

Which are holding higher resale values, GT3 or GT3 RS?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,741 Likes on 2,350 Posts

many RS were bought at price over msrp. so you will never get a true answer to your question.
however, relative to msrp, RS are holding better resale value as a % of their msrp.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Which means that the RS has more room to fall in the next few years.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cladd
Which means that the RS has more room to fall in the next few years.
Highly doubt it. If the price go below $90K, good luck finding one.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with cladd. The RS is now a regular production model in the US lineup. The current RS will be outperformed by the $112k GT3 3.8 in all aspects, which will send values of even low mileage cars close to $100k by year end. And once the 3.8 (or 4.0?) RS is out, it will be the one to have; the last of the GT1-powered series. The 2007-08 cars will definitely be below $90k in the next few years; by then we will have seen the next generation of the 911.

Not to take anything away from the current RS...it's a fantastic car, and it has weathered the current economic climate remarkably well. But limited numbers and hallowed nameplates don't mean much in the short term, especially when newer and improved models are introduced.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

New the RS was about $15K - $20K more at MSRP.

Now the delta is about 30K, I expect the delta to go down to 15K as they both depreciate the next year or so, but so far the RS held better if you could get one at MSRP.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the Ebay sales Ive been following over the last two months, RS sales for low mileage, high option RSs is about 130k. Low option or higher mileage cars seems to bring about 115k. These are real cars and real purchase prices. There a quite a few RSs on Ebay that keep getting rolled over again and again because the owners are still trying to get MSRP (or more). That doesnt appear to be happening as these cars are not selling at those prices anymore on Ebay.

Flash
Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is there so much talk recently about where the next $10-$15k will be in these cars up or down. Who really cares these cars are meant to be driven. I have owned many p cars over the years and despite what future p cars might or might not be like, the current 2007 and 2008 RS cars are really amazing to drive and better than any other P car I have owned. I own more than 1 (and currently have 1 for sale ) but why is there so much debate on values recently, it just seems to me like many people want to buy an RS but dont want to spend the money so just keep talking about how the prices will be 90k or less in the future. Could they be below 90, sure they can anything can happen but why is this such a focus on the boards recently ?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new RS 3.8 is around the corner and once available may likely sell for MSRP or under at which point the current RS will drop in price, especially if bought at MSRP + premium. Due to the recession, supply and demand.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont write well, what i am about to write might make me sound like an a hole then so be it.
i am with NYC123.
will RS drop in value, sure.
is there REALLY a special car out there, one that's "unsurpassable"... well, maybe, maybe not. but by the time one of you figured out the philosophical answer, we will all be dead or out of petroleum so who cares. buy what you like and drive it, collect it, concourse it whatever floats your boat, it's all cool. sad to say, as good as porsches are, they are MASS PRODUCED cars. here in the greater SF area, i see at least one GT3 variant everyday. near my house where i ride my bicycle every 2x a week, i risk my life on a routine basis of getting run over by CGT, boxster, GT3's, TT, you name it. and if you count other p car models, i see 10+ every morning and another 10+ every afternoon. they are pretty COMMON. in fact, i see more porsche in palo alto/menlo park than camry's. so let's not delude ourselves into thinking this is the 'IT' car. it isn't. it's a great car, but the next one will be better, in some way. and the next one and the next.

and to really enjoy these cars, the actual purchase price is the least amount of your worries.
i drive my hard, i can buy a new RS every 2 years with my total track cost.
others find their interest in concourse or collecting: while they dont have track cost associated, they still need to insure it, maintain it, detailed it, trailer it to concourse and then buy another car to transport them from A to B as daily driver, so add that cost up.

an RS could fall to $20k, maybe by 2020, maybe by 2015. it would be cheap to buy.
but the cost of keeping it up will never drop.
in fact it will only go up.
when you need a new block for RS in 2025, you be lucky to find one.
oil change, rubber cost, clutch prices wont drop.
soon it will cost you $10k a year to maintain what is then a $20k car.

maybe it's just me. my bad logic.
but i really think the issue is not the cost of the car. but all the other associated costs.

finally, are YOU a ready and willing buyer.
if you are not, what's the point of asking what price RS will be at certain future time?
if you are, there are plenty of deals out there NOW. i sold and helped friends sold several RS's. from $110 to $130k. a notable example is a 145 sticker car, PCCB, xenon, full leather, no accident, no story, never tracked car, 4000 miles for 115. he was just bored with the car. is that low enough? there are GT3's at 80k or lower now. there are 6gt3 at 50k. that's a lot of car for the money. if you are ready, put the money where your mouth is, just buy one and drive it. by the time RS drops to 70k-80k, boxsters would have 8 speed pdk with 900hp. no one would be interested in today's RS anymore, regardless of price.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

The 997. 2 RS is all the more reason to drive and track the current one and rack up some miles. It would be a shame to own one with never having driven it much and then take a large financial hit. You may as well enjoy it for what it was built for. At this point in its life cycle, it is not a collector car.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no one would be interested in today's RS anymore, regardless of price.
Mooty you're profound.

As far as the commonality of the marque, go to LA, EVRYONE who can't afford a ferrari or lambo "settles" for a Porsche.

Many people rushed to get the new "RS" thinking that it will be as rare and special as the 73 RS that is going for 300k. Unfortunately, they were sorely mistaken and bitter about it and getting out of it with a loss.

Porsche will make an RS as long as an RSR is racing for homologation and people are willing to buy them. (me being one of them)

I'm not being an a-hole but it's the truth. The RS, F scuderia are very special right now but as soon as the next new shiny "exclusive" thing is out they will be forgotten and will drop in price.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by va122

I'm not being an a-hole but it's the truth. The RS, F scuderia are very special right now but as soon as the next new shiny "exclusive" thing is out they will be forgotten and will drop in price.
much more eloquent than my gibberish.

oh, btw, 2007-8RS will be special in 30 years, if yours is still in good shape. a 30 year old civic CCVC is probably collectable too. why? bc most of them have rotted away. bell bottoms are coming back... i mean they came back few years ago and died again. it will come back again in 20 years. so keep it a loooooooooong time, you will make a lot of money
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea if you keep it in a bubble. i personally like to drive my cars. Call me crazy.

Mooty, you do make sense BTW. Just takes some getting used to.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mooty and VA122 - you're both very eloquent! And you're both right. In 30 years many of us will be dead and gone. At least I will likely be. That's why I'm in a hurry to drive my car as much, and as hard, as I can...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 v GT3 RS values