Best 997GT2 intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks guys....

Gene, I am having problems with the Durametric, it is for '08 models and mine being an '09 they said they were "surprised it even worked" but what is happening it only seems to want to read 2 actual values at a time and when I try and introduce a third it locks up - very frustrating, so I have been logging just speed and IAT but would like to get rpm in there as well.

The second problem I have is basically I am thick ! I can get excel to do a basic graph as you can see but I really need to learn how to get two scales one for speed and one for IAT and ideally another one for rpm - since the units are all so different......

Any pointers on tutorial for old numbskulls ?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Nice work Toby. Looks like a 10C advantage over stock.
Getting comparison charts right is nothing like as simple as I thought, for example what Gene says above is right but if eg I had just blasted up to 140mph in 4th gear then slowed to 100mph then started another run up to 240kph, like the run in the chart, the initial IAT would be much higher (at 160kph) ~49DegC since the stock intercoolers would still be suffering from the previous run and the final IAT would be even hotter at 240kph... So it does make a difference where you start from and much more so with the stock units and I am guessing all the heavy aftermarket ones out there have the ability to store a lot of heat...... These seem to be able to shed that "heatsoak" heat very quickly, that will be another area I will be testing.....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Interetsing data Toby You need to take it to the track now for multiple low speed, high load runs, ICs worst ennemies.

Looks like at 130mph your IC's are cutting down by half the IAT increase seen with the AWE. (18 vs. 9)

To create two axis on your chart, go to the help menu in excel (top of the screen menu list) and type "add a secondary axis" in the search box..Send it to me if you need help.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 AM
Freak997tt
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the record

We tried AWE coolers on Proto upgraded VTG's and we saw excellent performance from that Combo.

All i can tell u that the the acceleration numbers

0-100km/h 3.0sec
100-200km/h 6.0sec
200-300km/h 13.5sec

0-300 23sec

We saw almost same numbers on 18C and 45C (in Dubai ) temp which means those AWE coolers works awesome
Old 06-20-2009, 04:46 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Freak997tt

We saw almost same numbers on 18C and 45C (in Dubai ) temp which means those AWE coolers works awesome
If that is true then they are working better than Secan.....With Secan At 18degC you would see 33DegC max IAT which would mean the engine maintains max timing and boost and at 45degC you would see 60 degC IAT which would result in the Motronic retarding the ignition and a loss in hp, maybe 50hp ?

Doesn't make sense, can you bring some real data to the thread please ?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:45 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Managed to get to the top of 5th gear today, 170 GPS, maxrpm engine under load for 17 seconds with the associated airflow through the cores which comes with such speeds.
It was 17 degC ambient and the max IAT was 32.2 DegC so 15 DegC above ambient.
I included a clip from a run I did with the stoc intercooler in 17 degC ambient. The 997 GT2 with its high standard boost pressure is such a good candidate for efficient intercoolers...

I noticed the IAT would drop back to near ambient very quickly after a high speed run so it is looking good on the "heatsoak" front also...

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is one showing how the intercooler recovers from the 17 second full load blast in 5th gear.
The speed is kph/10 so "25" on the left hand scale is 250kph or 155mph etc.

Note the total time elapsed is 69 seconds from the peak temp at 275 kph

Old 06-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Freak997tt
Banned

Originally Posted by TB993tt
If that is true then they are working better than Secan.....With Secan At 18degC you would see 33DegC max IAT which would mean the engine maintains max timing and boost and at 45degC you would see 60 degC IAT which would result in the Motronic retarding the ignition and a loss in hp, maybe 50hp ?

Doesn't make sense, can you bring some real data to the thread please ?
Toby

I'm not experince guy like u and i really don't give a damn about temp, IAT...etc

I give a damn about cost, quality and performance!!

I tried Both blown6 and AWE coolers and i got excellent results from AWE

I'm not advertising for AWE...As i read about i deal with Protomotive, AWE and many tuners.

Ur coolers could be better than AWE i dunno

Bottomline is we r happy

BTW....If u don't believe what im saying u can ask Jean coz he send him the file

One more thing...The car is tiptronic
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Freak997tt
Banned

Here a littel vid for the same car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWS1orB6Z8
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby

i really don't give a damn about temp, IAT...etc

I give a damn about cost, quality and performance!!
Bit of a contradiction there - lower IAT is the route to performance on our turbo cars and quality costs.....

What I was saying before is if you used Secan in 45 DegC heat then you would have less hp on the same car than if you used it in 18 DegC heat since your IATs would be at least 27DegC hotter and in the case of the 45 DegC run an IAT of (even as low as) 60 DegC means you would have timing retard which would lose you probably 50hp compared to 18 DegC day - hence why its worth "giving a damn" about temp, IAT etc
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Freak997tt
Banned

Bit of a contradiction there - lower IAT is the route to performance on our turbo cars and quality costs.....

What I was saying before is if you used Secan in 45 DegC heat then you would have less hp on the same car than if you used it in 18 DegC heat since your IATs would be at least 27DegC hotter and in the case of the 45 DegC run an IAT of (even as low as) 60 DegC means you would have timing retard which would lose you probably 50hp compared to 18 DegC day - hence why its worth "giving a damn" about temp, IAT etc
Understood

As i said...We r happy with AWE coolers

Comming soon..Testing Protomotive 4.5" coolers ( on another car )
Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Understood

As i said...We r happy with AWE coolers

Comming soon..Testing Protomotive 4.5" coolers ( on another car )
I appreciate you're testing actual acceleration performance but because there are plenty of other variables involved which can affect one acceleration run to the next, being able to isolate the IAT during a run will tell you what part that component (intercooler) is playing in giving you your performance and without the IAT data you can't really make factual statements about "testing" any intercoolers - but hey, it is how people have been selling them for years
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Freak997tt
Banned

I appreciate you're testing actual acceleration performance but because there are plenty of other variables involved which can affect one acceleration run to the next, being able to isolate the IAT during a run will tell you what part that component (intercooler) is playing in giving you your performance and without the IAT data you can't really make factual statements about "testing" any intercoolers - but hey, it is how people have been selling them for years
Toby

How many here and in the forums give a damn about IAT data....etc?

ARE U ALSO U.S TUNERS HATER?????

Many many ppl in Dubai, KSA and Bahrain and Kuwait deal with many euro tuners like 9ff, Ruf..etc

They paid too much money and there cars still NOT RELIABLE and many them still not that fast.

Sorry dude but those ppl tricked by euro tuners coz euro tuners always FAST in magazines only.

There is $300k Ruf RT12 and 9ff 920hp turbo s...The RT12 wasn't that fast in street and the 9ff ( built/tuned in Germany for 2 years )..The Owner is HUGE 9FF FAN!!! and he was always talk in numbers and talking **** on U,S tuners just like u.

He claimed that the car will be FAST and still reliable for daily use..He went to Bahrain track and facing some issues.

The car now FOR SALE!!!

It is simple question...Why we can't see those high $$$ cars in street? why we r keep hearing that they r keep breaking?

Who needs expensive fast unreliable cars?...Getting modded supra will be much cheaper and much much reliable and much much much faster

The only place i saw those cars FASTER AND RELAIBLE is Magazine!!

BTW...I can't saY any thing about RS tuning coz i never saw or heard about RS car here ( Kuwait, KSA, Dubai or Bahrain )...I don't like magazine results/tests or even listen ALWAYS to the tuner

I like to heard porsche owners opinions on products that they use!! no matter which tuner they deal with!!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I care a great deal about IAT.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Toby

How many here and in the forums give a damn about IAT data....etc?

ARE U ALSO U.S TUNERS HATER?????

Many many ppl in Dubai, KSA and Bahrain and Kuwait deal with many euro tuners like 9ff, Ruf..etc

They paid too much money and there cars still NOT RELIABLE and many them still not that fast.

Sorry dude but those ppl tricked by euro tuners coz euro tuners always FAST in magazines only.

There is $300k Ruf RT12 and 9ff 920hp turbo s...The RT12 wasn't that fast in street and the 9ff ( built/tuned in Germany for 2 years )..The Owner is HUGE 9FF FAN!!! and he was always talk in numbers and talking **** on U,S tuners just like u.

He claimed that the car will be FAST and still reliable for daily use..He went to Bahrain track and facing some issues.

The car now FOR SALE!!!

It is simple question...Why we can't see those high $$$ cars in street? why we r keep hearing that they r keep breaking?

Who needs expensive fast unreliable cars?...Getting modded supra will be much cheaper and much much reliable and much much much faster

The only place i saw those cars FASTER AND RELAIBLE is Magazine!!

BTW...I can't saY any thing about RS tuning coz i never saw or heard about RS car here ( Kuwait, KSA, Dubai or Bahrain )...I don't like magazine results/tests or even listen ALWAYS to the tuner

I like to heard porsche owners opinions on products that they use!! no matter which tuner they deal with!!!!
I think what TB993tt is doing is great.... taking the time to share his testing, it's what we want and look forward to on forum's like this.
Why would you not want to know what your getting and why it's better.
I can't wait for RS Tuning to compare these IC to the Secans.

When I was looking at IC I could not decide on a product Euro or U.S. because there was no info to compare them, plus how would I know if they would work better than stock...when Tuners say "trust me it's better" this does not do it for me.

Quick Reply: Best 997GT2 intercooler