Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 RS - does it really make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have an RS. I have driven and raced against GT3's. The difference is zero to none. I agree with Mooty. The RS is the more rare of the two which may justify (note I said may) the cost difference. The 997.2 RS will be a simple and slight evolution of the current one. Tweaks mostly.

Until we see the 4 liter DFI engine and PDK, I'm keeping mine.
If I had to do it again, I would have bought a 997 GT3. The weight difference (to me) is virtually imperceptible, sun roof and all.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW when I was considering a cup car to go racing in SCCA GT2,I was told to figure on $1000-1500 per hour(at least) to keep the car on the track.
This did not include all the one time upfront expenses in specialty tools and equipment.
My decision was an easy one.Kept my 914 for door to door racing and went out and bought a GT3 for the street and occasional DE.
Up to this point no regrets,except I wish brakes and rotors on the GT3 lasted as long as they do on the teener.
Tom B.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering how I see 997 GT3s for $75,000, I might not pay the extra money to buy a GT3 RS.
A TON more.

Then again, in 3 years Porsche will debut the 911 as a mid engine car and they'll all be cheaper, correct?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a $100k+ fun car can never really make sense, it's all emotional. No matter how hard we try to rationalize it (oh, it's cheaper than buying a track car and a fun weekend car...), it comes down to pure emotion and what sets your heart on fire.

I bought a GT3 because I couldn't afford an RS. On the track, there is nothing between them, but on the road, in your driveway, on the poster in your garage wall, the RS makes the heart beat faster. Who can deny the pure sex appeal of the 44mm wider rear and that massive carbon wing...
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
...but on the road, in your driveway, on the poster in your garage wall, the RS makes the heart beat faster. Who can deny the pure sex appeal of the 44mm wider rear and that massive carbon wing...
You nailed it!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
50lb weight difference on a 3000lb street car is inconsequential IMHO.
Not sure about this.
I could feel the difference replacing the rear center section on my 997GT3 with the GMG piece.

My conclusion is it matters where the weight comes off...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarekN
The thing with the GT3 and RS is that we GT3 owners sometimes tend to have expectations of the RS which are too high. You tend to look for things in the RS that just aren´t there, but technically the biggest difference is the flywheel, split rear arms and 44 mm wider rear track. Other things like the cage and seats can be had in the GT3 as well. And the perspex window, well?
The RS definitely has a place in the line-up, but I think that many people tend to portray it as a Cup car. It´s like saying that chimpanzees and humans have 95% identical DNA. It´s true, but there is a big BUT.

The GT3 is so good out of the box that trying to improve on it tends to diminish the beautiful balance of the car in many aspects. Sure you can toughen it up even more for the track, but then you are robbing yourself of other things which it was meant to do.

The more you tune it, the better it gets in that specific direction, and the worse in the opposite sense.

For some objective input, please talk to regular Carrera or Turbo owners and ask them about their thoughts in terms of the character of the GT3.
It´s all relative. For example, a Mercedes driver will say that even a regular C2 is too hard and loud and uncomfortable. On the other hand, a GT3 driver will see a regular C2 as the soft car for the ladies.
+1.

This is one of the most spot-on posts I've read in ages. Thanks much for your well stated experience.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Buying a $100k+ fun car can never really make sense, it's all emotional. No matter how hard we try to rationalize it (oh, it's cheaper than buying a track car and a fun weekend car...), it comes down to pure emotion and what sets your heart on fire.

I bought a GT3 because I couldn't afford an RS. On the track, there is nothing between them, but on the road, in your driveway, on the poster in your garage wall, the RS makes the heart beat faster. Who can deny the pure sex appeal of the 44mm wider rear and that massive carbon wing...
Well said fc, and for the $17k+ difference, one could put a down payment on a racing CC membership or leastcase pay annual dues, or alternatively pay for many, many track days, or for the majority, buy lots and lots of tires. Then again, if money is no object, the entire subject is moot.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
Does it really make sense to go for an RS over a standard GT3?
It only makes sense if you want wide body, that's all.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default RS

Originally Posted by _rocket
It only makes sense if you want wide body, that's all.
it also makes sence if you would plan at some point on adding the RS transmission/suspension features along with removing the USA sunroof for cage/weight savings.....

Not sure what it cost to upgrade transmission/suspension and remove sunroof in GT3.(lets not forget the wing) But im sure one would be better off buying RS for that purpose.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

It's funny for me to read all these posts comparing GT3/RS/Cup racing W2W, track days, tow vehicles...etc

none of this stuff makes financial sense so don't make it about that issue!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I don't like sunroofs, so I would buy an RS in the 997.1 version. But since the 997.2 non-RS has no hole in the roof, the draw to an RS is lessened (unless they sweeten the deal with a 4.0L or lighten it further than before)...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 AM
gt3_fan
Intermediate

Default great thread

Hello everyone! I am a newbie here. This thread caught my attention because I am also planning to buy my first and maybe last porsche. I was initially leaning towards getting the 997.2 gt3, but with the recent spy pictures of the mk2 RS spotted I am split in deciding which to get. I have read in some magazine articles that the RS has lesser sound proofing materials inside. To those who have an RS or have rode in an RS, does the lesser sound proofing inside make the interior a whole lot noisier than a regular gt3? Does the RS have a lower ground clearance than the gt3?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

for 997.1gt3 and .1RS the sound is the same in the cabin. i do not believe the RS has any less insulation material. i had both car at the same time in my garage and over 10k miles in each car. i can't feel the difference in sound.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 AM
gt3_fan
Intermediate

Thanks for the info Mooty! Is it safe to say that if I wanted to buy one as a keeper for a long time maybe a life time, then the choice would have to be the RS or is the regular gt3 also a viable "keeper" car?

Quick Reply: New GT3 RS - does it really make sense?