Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 or 997.2 or F430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 997.1 or 997.2 or F430?

Help. 997.1 GT3 was my first porsche and its the most awesome car I have ever driven or owned. I was happy as can be until a few recent events came to light.

1. I'm moving to Germany this summer.
2. I can get below MSRP on the 997.2 which looks to be even more fun.
3. F430 prices are getting very tempting

The downside is the 997.1 is worth in the 80's already and its not going to get better.

I'm thinking either just throwing a full cage in it and making it a full-time ring toy or biting the bullet and selling.

Not so sure on the F430 as it will probably not be as engaging to drive but I probably would like it for the occasional spirited drive and then have an excuse to build either a 996 or a boxster as a dedicated track toy.

I know its a dumb problem to have considering but its still a problem. Any advice is welcome.
-jim
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

sooner or later you will have a ferrari. Is now that time for you?

I would keep the 997.1 for a long time for driving and tracking as a second car.

Keep it and buy a used F430 next year..... then you will have both.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Turbo4ever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont buy F430. the new one is coming out soon. get the latest GT3.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell your car as it seems if you don't, your mind will never stop thinking "what if I have gotten that, what if I did this"... If you are thinking that way now, time to move on lol, go for the GT3.2, F430 will be short lived although an Italian is great to experience!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I wrote an in-depth review of the F430 vs. 997.1 GT3. If you search under my name, you should be able to find it. In summary, the F430 was awesome on the street and the GT3 was awesome on the track.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM
batty
Instructor

Man, this is a problem I would LOVE to have...
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks guys. with the news of the new RS possibly making a debut I think i'm going the mooty route with two gt3's. I am keeping my 997.1 and shipping her to germany. Adding the RS when its online. Then the 997.1 becomes just a track only ring hammer. The ferrari will have to wait a few years...i'm hoping the follow on to the F430 can actually keep up. now my only concern is getting the wife to approve. mooty, need your help...again.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
thanks guys. with the news of the new RS possibly making a debut I think i'm going the mooty route with two gt3's. I am keeping my 997.1 and shipping her to germany. Adding the RS when its online. Then the 997.1 becomes just a track only ring hammer. The ferrari will have to wait a few years...i'm hoping the follow on to the F430 can actually keep up. now my only concern is getting the wife to approve. mooty, need your help...again.
wife help....
i am calling my divorce attorney....
too bad wife's can't be traded to dealers....
have been waiting for a new one for 20+ years now. and i am not even 40 yet.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Money is always an issue when it comes to cars we know we'll buy and replace. If you have the option to move a car from the US to Europe, assuming the steering wheel and various government regulations are in the "right" place, I'd suggest taking an F430 with you -- the market "spread" from here to there is in your favor.

Also, your question isn't explicit, but I take it you're thinking of a 997.2 GT3 (not a Carrera) though you can get below MSRP (though the 997.2 GT3 is not even or sale for months yet.)

In any case, I like the point raised by tcsracing1 -- if an F430 is on your radar, it might well mean that, sooner or later, you'll get one. And the current market is insanely oversold (though it may still weaken further) and seems like an ideal time to "dabble" in a 430 confident that the depreciation curve form here is probably not too painful.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Delivery June 7, Nurburgring June 8? Whatever happened to the safe and sane and conservative break-in? I'm asking because I've gotten mostly the "party line" on break-in on the forums, but in private many Porsche people advocate the "drive it like you stole it" method. What do you track guys do with a new motor?

My ship comes in soon and I still want to know.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DPorcella
"drive it like you stole it"
and don't look back

mike
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DPorcella
Delivery June 7, Nurburgring June 8? Whatever happened to the safe and sane and conservative break-in? I'm asking because I've gotten mostly the "party line" on break-in on the forums, but in private many Porsche people advocate the "drive it like you stole it" method. What do you track guys do with a new motor?

My ship comes in soon and I still want to know.
I have conducted a series of rigorous, scientific tests -- NOT -- on this issue. Ranging from Ducati and Aprilia to Porsche and various hot rods, boats, snow mobiles, two-stroke, four-stroke, turbo-, super-charged, you name it, I've variously tried to cosset the thing in white gloves or wring its neck in blizzard conditions and drown it in salt water.

In the context of modern day production line four stroke engines with vehicles sold under warranty in the US, there's abso-f-uggin-lutely no difference either way. Just go drive it. Don't abuse the rev limiter, down abuse the clutch (arguably something that needs time to chemically adjust to its hostile existence) and don't abuse the working surfaces of the gearbox -- be smooth. But otherwise, use it all.

I've had three GT3's in the last three years. I've driven the current one and the first one as if there was a covenant with an angel to care for this car. Nothing went wrong. I drove the last one as if there was a debt to the devil t destroy it. Nothing went wrong. Not rear main seal leak, no warranty claims of any sort other than a squeaky front PASM strut. No PCCB failure despite trying to use every ounce of them with a dozen or more track days at Laguna and Sears.

I understand the chemical and mechanical concept of "break in" and it still applies today, but I think in terms of hours, not thousands of miles. I think in terms of getting say 20 hours at an average of say 50 miles an hour, then changing the fluids to expel any initial contaminants and wear material.

Right now, I just checked my Cayenne Power Kit Turbo for its 40,000 mile "major" service. With the oil and filter replaced 5K miles ago (Cayenne Turbos burn oil) at now 42K miles, I find the fluid to be remarkably clear and clean despite, let's say, "ample" throttle application.

Personally, I see no harm in driving the car a comfortable 1000 miles or say 1500 Km, then -- after changing the fluids -- really getting into the car. If I took factory delivery and drove directly to the ring, both the car and the driver would be unprepared. That first visit to the ring would be strictly a religious experience, not a hard core driving expedition.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Wayward
Advanced

Default Input from an SOB

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
dont buy F430. the new one is coming out soon. get the latest GT3.
Yep, the F450 is expected a year from now.

Styling-wise, it's light years better than the F430. Then again, if money is no object...oh wait...you wouldn't have posted were that the case. Why bother to ask for input?

J/k here, I'm sure you'll buy one of each Ferrari model. Heck, dole 'em out the servants as tips.

Here's an article of interest: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ferrari-...tml#more-16240

Just having fun, no need to fire back (blue-flame a$$-to-BIC ignition afficionados excepted).
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Help. 997.1 GT3 was my first porsche and its the most awesome car I have ever driven or owned. I was happy as can be until a few recent events came to light.

1. I'm moving to Germany this summer.
2. I can get below MSRP on the 997.2 which looks to be even more fun.
3. F430 prices are getting very tempting

The downside is the 997.1 is worth in the 80's already and its not going to get better.

I'm thinking either just throwing a full cage in it and making it a full-time ring toy or biting the bullet and selling.

Not so sure on the F430 as it will probably not be as engaging to drive but I probably would like it for the occasional spirited drive and then have an excuse to build either a 996 or a boxster as a dedicated track toy.

I know its a dumb problem to have considering but its still a problem. Any advice is welcome.
-jim

F450 and Carl-e-fawn-e-yah both look really appealing. Beauty in the eye of the beholder. Yes, the '450 looks a bit like an NSX prototype gone wrong (or right) depending upon your perspective and the Cali' is more of a "wife's" car no question. For me, both cars have their appeal, but until Ferrari reassembles their resale value, both are far out of reach. When I can drive new GT3's year to year and lose from zero to maybe $20K per car, I can afford to pay the tax and insurance. When an F430 or 360 or even the revered Scuderia and Stradale can plummet $100K or more in a year, Ferrari has moved out of reach and grasp.

To repeat myself, I think this is a buyer's once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get into something like a F430 or a 360 CS at discounted prices that, a year or three from now, will translate into very affordable motoring. That's just me. If I could swap out my three Porsches for ... scratch that ... if I could swap out my two current model Porsches and keep my 993 Turbo ... !!! ... and swap in an F430 (coupe, 6-spd, CCBs) and a 360 Stradale (with livery) I think I'd enjoy the change. No, I don't see myself buying an F450 or 470 or whatever it turns out to be -- and will surely be north of a quarter of a million dollars.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_w....php?id=304890
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
prg
Pro

Probably a minority opinion here, but I've really enjoyed my 430 as a occational street car more than my GT3RS. ( I haven't significantly tracked either as I have a race car.)

Quick Reply: 997.1 or 997.2 or F430?