997 GT3 RS Factory Rollbar - MODIFIED to fit Sunroof GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Yep!! Didn't know your car was going to be used for that..... Oh boy!! Have I spoke too much??
That's is amazing. I have been watching the Targa Newfoundland on Speed Channel since 2002.

Watching the Targa Newfoundland live is in my "Bucket List" or things to do before I die.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:44 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default RS

Originally Posted by CWay27
You finally got an RS and one with a famous pedigree..... Mooty and Rad's butt!!

Congrats, I know you were talking about getting one ever since you set foot in this place. Have fun and hope you do well at the targa....... Keep the shiny side up and don't ram somebody's house with it
THX! Im very excited to say the least!
I joined rennlist when a guy at TRG told me it was the place to look for GT3 porsches and track cars for sale as i was looking for race/streetable car.

The GT3RS really appealed to what i was looking for.
After following the post of many RS owners and their cars, it was a no brainer that anything belonging to Mooty or NJ-GT is in good hands.

To be at the right place at the right time to buy such a great example from one of these guys for my budget is topps!

I plan on doing some track days in Mission B.C, Mosport in Ontario and then september Targa Newfoundland!

With a RS i will have to be extra careful to keep the shiney side up in Targa!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few things..

No I do not have the front section. Same as the 996 Clubsport though. Porsche still sold them last time I checked.

There is NO noise, rattling, etc from the bar. We have modified and installed numerous ones and they are solid as a rock. If there is noise coming from a bar, then it was not installed properly.

This will fit an RS, but the main thing is that it will fit a standard GT3 now with a sunroof...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Unitah
Instructor

I have the stock rear rollbar installed in my 997 GT3. No issues at all with it blocking the sun roof. No issues with the front section installed either. As far as I am aware, the bars need NO modifications to be installed in a sunroof 997 GT3 unless Porsche changed the design? My GT3 was a February 2007 delivery (one of the first here, if not the first). The bar arrived a month later directly from Motorsports. Has the 997 GT3 part number and everything, so, it is the genuine item. Has the design changed at all? I am interested to know because I was thinking of installing the front bar and want to make sure it will fit...
Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs bar

Originally Posted by Unitah
I have the stock rear rollbar installed in my 997 GT3. No issues at all with it blocking the sun roof. No issues with the front section installed either. As far as I am aware, the bars need NO modifications to be installed in a sunroof 997 GT3 unless Porsche changed the design? My GT3 was a February 2007 delivery (one of the first here, if not the first). The bar arrived a month later directly from Motorsports. Has the 997 GT3 part number and everything, so, it is the genuine item. Has the design changed at all? I am interested to know because I was thinking of installing the front bar and want to make sure it will fit...
Have any pictures of your Clubsport bar installed? Interesting that you installed it without modification? I was under the impression that sunroof cars required the bar to be slighty modified in order to fit like VIPERBOB's??
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
GT3CAR
Needs to Get a Life
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is impossible for the RS Rollbar to fit in a 997 GT3 US Delivery (sunroof) without modification. Perhaps you have a different roll bar? The GT3 that this roll bar was installed in is a 2007 997 GT3 that was delivered on Dec 22nd, 2006 from Champion Motorsports...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3CAR
It is impossible for the RS Rollbar to fit in a 997 GT3 US Delivery (sunroof) without modification. Perhaps you have a different roll bar? The GT3 that this roll bar was installed in is a 2007 997 GT3 that was delivered on Dec 22nd, 2006 from Champion Motorsports...
I am sure it was wedged into place and probably tented the headliner and flexed the floor pans downward as well....no other way w/o mods.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Viper Bob...PM sent....
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Norm - Nope, no tenting, no deformation of the headliner. No damage to the car at all. In fact, although tight, I can still slide my little finger between the top of the rollbar and the headliner without much trouble. You have seen the car and been in it, you know there is no damage. You said yourself the installation was outstanding.

As for a different type of bar, as far as I know unless Porsche changed the design, it is a genuine RS rollbar with part number and everything. It is the real deal. In fact, when I was at Leipzig, Germany, I saw a few (2 or 3) standard 997 GT3's WITH the RS rollbar installed. Sunroof worked perfectly fine in them as well. The guys overthere told me no modifications were needed for either the rear, or front bar (which was my concern as I wanted to add the front bar).

How do I post photos?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs bar

Norm - Nope, no tenting, no deformation of the headliner. No damage to the car at all. In fact, although tight, I can still slide my little finger between the top of the rollbar and the headliner without much trouble. You have seen the car and been in it, you know there is no damage. You said yourself the installation was outstanding.

As for a different type of bar, as far as I know unless Porsche changed the design, it is a genuine RS rollbar with part number and everything. It is the real deal. In fact, when I was at Leipzig, Germany, I saw a few (2 or 3) standard 997 GT3's WITH the RS rollbar installed. Sunroof worked perfectly fine in them as well. The guys overthere told me no modifications were needed for either the rear, or front bar (which was my concern as I wanted to add the front bar).

How do I post photos?
Wow! very cool! i did not know as i was under the impression it wouldnt work.
I didnt consider a gt3 sunroof car because i thought full clubsport wouldnt fit.
So i bought a RS! (ho regrets however)
Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

How do I post photos?
going to have to change my name to" Al Z. Heimer".....don't remember riding in your car but did hear it and looked at it at the work shop....can't say I recall how the bar fit.....I would like to pull up the floor mats in the back and check the pans for deformation.....in any case; as long as the hole works then there is no issue
Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Al Z. Heimer, a.k.a. Norm. Never said you rode in the car, only that you were in it. I had the GT3 seats in mine before you purchased them. If I recall, you sat in the car checking the comfort of the seats to see if you would fit.

Eitherway, my initial question still remains. I wonder if Porsche changed the design of the car? Who out there has the front section installed? Anyone?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Al Z. Heimer, a.k.a. Norm. Never said you rode in the car, only that you were in it. I had the GT3 seats in mine before you purchased them. If I recall, you sat in the car checking the comfort of the seats to see if you would fit.

Eitherway, my initial question still remains. I wonder if Porsche changed the design of the car? Who out there has the front section installed? Anyone?
highly unlikely that they changed the car (maybe yours was special just for you)....as for the seats; never liked the 996 seats thus I purchased the 997 carbon fiber RS seats...(don't fit in them, either)....you seem to really like being first at things by the tone of your posts....hurry and get in line for something, Forrest.....still running your street car with all those boy-racer decals and numbers on it?? def. 1st at that, I am sure.....
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Unitah
Instructor

hahaha, Norm, now why on earth would you take offense to ANYTHING I said in any post? hahahaha. Rediculous, hahahaha. I was simply stating that you were in my car to see whether or not you liked the seats as I installed them before you. If you had installed them before me, I would have sat in your car to see if I liked them, hahahaha, that is all I meant by that.

The only reason I made ANY mention as to the delivery of my car was in case there was indeed a design change to the bar or car during the production run that could account for the issues other have been describing. Furthermore, I don't want to purchase the front section of the bar only to find it doesn't fit properly for whatever reason.

As for the car, unfortunately, I really don't drive it on the street anymore. Doesn't get much use at this point, no free time.

If there is something you want to discuss, lets be adult about it and do it off the chatsite. Call me or email me. No reason at all why ANY hostilities for ANY reason need to be voiced on the chatsite.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

hahaha, Norm, now why on earth would you take offense to ANYTHING I said in any post? hahahaha. Rediculous, hahahaha. I was simply stating that you were in my car to see whether or not you liked the seats as I installed them before you. If you had installed them before me, I would have sat in your car to see if I liked them, hahahaha, that is all I meant by that.

The only reason I made ANY mention as to the delivery of my car was in case there was indeed a design change to the bar or car during the production run that could account for the issues other have been describing. Furthermore, I don't want to purchase the front section of the bar only to find it doesn't fit properly for whatever reason.

As for the car, unfortunately, I really don't drive it on the street anymore. Doesn't get much use at this point, no free time.

If there is something you want to discuss, lets be adult about it and do it off the chatsite. Call me or email me. No reason at all why ANY hostilities for ANY reason need to be voiced on the chatsite.

don't get your panties all bunched up, bro.....if it were hostilities I was expressing, I would be at your front door to do so.....take a pill and relax...

Last edited by leif997; 03-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS Factory Rollbar - MODIFIED to fit Sunroof GT3