Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Losing 3 PSI a week. Big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing 3 PSI a week. Big deal?

One of my front tires has been losing about 3 PSI every week. But then it stabilizes. While it's pretty annoying to have to keep putting more air in, would you be concerned about taking this tire to the track?

Do you think a leak that small can be found? What about repaired?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I would not take it to the track in that condition.

A good tire shop should be able to find the leak and repair it. Make sure they repair properly it from the inside, rather than just plugging it from the outside.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Guessing you have a nail or screw in your tire - I had the same prob a few months ago - check it out
Old 03-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Take the wheel off and pour some water on the tire and look for any bubbles. At 3psi/week, it may be too slow to even find.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same thing happened on my rear tire. I brought my car to the dealer, and they found a small nail on the tire.

I would recommend you to have the tire & wheel checked before hitting any track days.

With best regards,
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't track a car with a known problem like that -- it could be all kinds of things that will kill you (or someone) like an unseated bead or a cracked rim. The stresses and strains of track driving are 10x or 100x greater than street driving. The potential for that tire or wheel to suddenly fail on the track mean all kinds of "worst case" problems are likely to erupt when you would be least likely to survive.

Get the dealer or someone you trust to go over the whole car before you track it. If you can afford a GT3, you can afford to protect your own hide.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Don't track a car with a known problem like that -- it could be all kinds of things that will kill you (or someone) like an unseated bead or a cracked rim. The stresses and strains of track driving are 10x or 100x greater than street driving. The potential for that tire or wheel to suddenly fail on the track mean all kinds of "worst case" problems are likely to erupt when you would be least likely to survive.

Get the dealer or someone you trust to go over the whole car before you track it. If you can afford a GT3, you can afford to protect your own hide.
Agreed, you could take out half the field if you have catastrophic pressure loss at speed. (seen it happen) you don't want that bill or any deaths on your conscience.

Buy a freaking new tire! If you can't afford a new tire then you shouldn't be tracking. I can't tell you how many iffy tires i threw out "just in case"
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
va122
Drifting

and please don't bring a "repaired" tire to the track. You get a "hot spot" where the tire was patched and that can melt the glue holding the patch in. Seen it happen.

If the damage is on the sidewall, tire is garbage.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

I didn't mean that sentence to be so "preachy" as it might read. I think you're right to ask the question and I imagine by now you've already solved the problem. Very slow leaks can be punctures or just a bad valve -- in any case, even if it's a cracked wheel or a pinch, the dealer will definitely find it. They'll put 50 psi in the tire and they'll find the leak. It can be repaired in most cases (unless the damage is in the sidewall or shoulder) but as mentioned, that tire or wheel, once repaired, is no longer a candidate for track driving. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM
va122
Drifting

I must apologize as well, I'm sure you're responsible or you wouldn't have posted your concern. I've just seen too many people get hurt trying to save a few bucks.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm guilty of patched tires. And inner patch though better then push in glue cord it can unglue itself especially if nail is closer to the sidewall. If straight center never had issue but not doing it again. If a street only car and obeying speed laws patched tire should be fine. Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
va122
Drifting

agreed, I'll autoX with them without worry. But a blow out at 60 versus 140 is far different
Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
sws1
Pro

Thanks.
These are my street PS2s. For track, I would use the OEM MPSCs, but was simply wondering as a backup.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Since we/you don't have a spare tire not worth guessing. Could be a simple valve core issue too.
Originally Posted by sws1
Thanks.
These are my street PS2s. For track, I would use the OEM MPSCs, but was simply wondering as a backup.

Quick Reply: Losing 3 PSI a week. Big deal?