Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Excellent Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

just a recognition of our resources and what is needed to do it right and FAIRLY. Take things like chassis dyno vagaries, heat sink, weather, pressure, Motronic "learning," and other variables into account and it's a VERY tall order. I learned long ago to hate chassis dynos for anything other than a good yardstick to call BS by. I've spent many a day trying to coax the claims out of a car on the dyno, and if I never do it again, I'll be very happy about it. So, I like exhaust shootouts too, but don't look for it in Excellence. We don't have the capability, resources, and time to do it right. I am not sure who does, but I am not saying it can't be done. If you want us to raise subscriptions from $25 to $1,000, maybe we can look into it.
FAIRLY??!! Pete why bother? youre worried about heat sinks and pressure? Car and Driver and Road And Track do supercar shootouts where they are VERY carefully using stats like
Trunk Space and Rear Seat space and the Got to have it factor and glove box availability? If you even got close to something scientific we would be able to forgive you for any small detail like ambient pressure on a given day. Given the laughable way those guys do shoot
outs you could just preface that there are certain control issues you CANT control and if you say
it up front we would know that you are WAY more serious than the rear seat space on a Lambo
Gallardo or a GT2! LOL!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pete, thanks for the info! I have been a subscriber for a long time. What was the original name of the magazine that someone did not like? Or is my memory out of whack?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

I would also recommend:

911 & Porsche World http://www.911porscheworld.com
GTPurelyPorsche http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com

you can get these from EWS cars http://ewacars.com
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 968 Turbo replica is also a Rennlister's if it wasn't already mentioned!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I would also recommend:

911 & Porsche World http://www.911porscheworld.com
GTPurelyPorsche http://www.gtpurelyporsche.com

you can get these from EWS cars http://ewacars.com
Yes. Both good. And there was another euro 911- or Porsche-only rag that's folded (so to speak) in the last year or so. Maybe it's the one that went purely digital (not winding road.) Anyway, I have stacks of them all, some costing $15-20 each ... which surely makes the subscription department at Excellence throw another pencil in the cork foam ceiling panels in dismay. : )
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldGuy
FAIRLY??!! Pete why bother? youre worried about heat sinks and pressure? Car and Driver and Road And Track do supercar shootouts where they are VERY carefully using stats like
Trunk Space and Rear Seat space and the Got to have it factor and glove box availability? If you even got close to something scientific we would be able to forgive you for any small detail like ambient pressure on a given day. Given the laughable way those guys do shoot
outs you could just preface that there are certain control issues you CANT control and if you say
it up front we would know that you are WAY more serious than the rear seat space on a Lambo
Gallardo or a GT2! LOL!!!!
Don't forget "bang for the buck", you gotta factor that one in.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
For anyone, like me, who has let their subscription lapse, the current issue of Excellence is worth the cover price.

There's a brilliant teaser piece on Rennlister, Jochen's GT2 masterpiece with the promise of a follow-up.

There's also a good read on Rennlist sponsor Sharkwerks cars as well as several other interesting pieces on various new and older Porsches.

A bumper crop issue. I know the editor is a regular here at Rennlist and Excellence probably needs no promotion here, but this issue was especially appealing even though I no longer find the time or inclination to read car mags cover to cover (barely touched issues of Porsche, Ferrari and racing magazines form stacks of recycling in the guise of a library next to my equally disused "gym" downstairs...)

http://www.excellence-mag.com/

I have to tip my hat to Pete and his crew (and of course Jarod) because at a time when magazines are going under, getting thinner and thinner.... I read it cover to cover as well. Knowing what I know about their cover story and how much time, effort they spent in terms of the actual driving/testing (never mind the writing) it's something I didn't appreciate until I saw it first-hand. They really drive, drive and drive.

Jochen's GT2 is well... those flares give... You just don't see those everyday.

Pat on the back to Pete@Excellence.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:46 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And the next time you need a stock black 997 GT3 to compare to that 997S wanna-be instead of one of Alex's hot rods, just drop me a note!

I remember unhappily agreeing to travel a short 30 mile journey in the track hot rod 993 Turbo of my then business partner knowing we'd just installed massive linear springs and assuming that no kidney belt would save my internal organs only to find that the combination of properly built and calibrated Motons Clubsports endowed the relatively lightweight 993 (2700-2800lb from memory) to deal with the horrible state of Hwy 280 at a leisurely 75 mph far better than even the purported luxury of my luxury SUV.
Haha I remember that car- she was fun! I also remember my then (also black) Tiptronic with silly-stiff (1000 pound springs) triple adjustable JRZs in the war of 04. And again, Pete called it like it was. He said it was like a 300,000mile camry, which I respected so much (aka the truth). On a flat race track, sure it did well and had minimal movement but on the Nevada roads well....
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Excellence

Pete:

Keep the articles on the older Porsches and restos coming; they're fantastic. I particularly liked the one about the 400,000 mile 911.

And +1 on the magazine being #1.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i look forward to the day i receive the mag in the mail. good stuff all around.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excmag
Sorry to hear that.

Go ahead and ping circulation@excellence-mag.com -- I am sure they will be willing to help.

pete
Whatta you know, drop Pete's name in an email and all of a sudden "your remaining issues of Excellence will start shipping March 5".

Funny how that happens

Thanks Pete!

Quick Reply: Excellent Excellence