mooty is out of it.... ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts
Default mooty is out of it.... ramblings

So, my race car, a BSR, got finished on 2/12/09 tue. And on 2/13/08 Friday I got it on TH. T. Colicchio and I tested the car. Drives like a mini cup car, sounds better than any of my GT3’s. sorry, sharkey, but it sounds better than your bypass too, and MUCH MUCH MUCH louder. So loud, that I got pulled over on fwy. I was not speeding, I was pulled over for noise. Charming me, talked my way out of a tix. Ok…. Good.

While on track, the car is very neutral, very easy to drive. I have been doing some crazy things that I would never do in GT3. You guys don’t know what you are missing. Maybe I will take the RS motor out and see if I can stuff it into the box?

Anyways, my first test day = my first race (sort of an exhibition race, but it is W2W). the idiot I am, I told them my lap time 208 with bypass at TH (yes, I know it’s an awful slow time). Well, I was put on pole. This is with 997gt3 cup car, viper comp coup, tube frame corvette with must have been 5000hp (yes 5 thousand, not type)… no I wasn’t fast, I just got sand bagged. Anyways, green dropped, cup car blew by me, but I held off a mustang racecar. And I was at P3….. T2 lap 1 in the wet, cup car spun…. Fun incident…. I made out all right… finished the race, I think only one mustang and corvette beat me, but then again, most other fast car was taken out hahah… mind you this is Friday 13th.

Ok, after having enough fun on track, it’s time to go home. Oh… I don’t have a trailer, so I have to drive my race car, no window, no rear windshield, no heater, no radio… 200 miles home in pouring rain. I had three layers of thermo fleece on and two layers of sweatpants, then my driving suit on with driving gloves still freezing… almost home… siren…. CHP thought my car was cool and wanted to have a chat with me….

Finally home. Still pouring rain… saw the big dent on fender, not liking it…. Decided to detail the car in pouring rain.. neighbors came by they think I am really a goner now ;-) sorry for the rambling, back to detaling, car is on jack stands now waiting for wax.

Note to self, need to buy trailer.
Further note to self, having spend valentine’s day at sears point and thunderhill Is not going to win many points with wife…

But did I mention that I like the BSR so much that I think I might dump the RS…

We got 5 BSR in norcal, 10-12 in socal. C’mon add a few more cars for nor cal. We need to fun.

Yes, I know I know, will post pix when I get to it.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mooty for those of us whom may not be able to afford a GT3 again what would you say a BSR costs.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mooty for those of us whom may not be able to afford a GT3 again what would you say a BSR costs.
Paul one of the fastest and cleanest ones built is currently available at a discounted pice of $30k (isn't everything?).
http://www.boxsterspec.com/spec-boxs...cal-t1912.html

If you build, budget $10-12k for a reasonable donor, then $20K to build it to specs. Add for second seat, Data, etc.....
Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
donor is about 10k, you can get a super virgin car for 15k
build cost is from 20k to 30k depending on if you DIY or hire pro's and what data acquisition, how many sets of wheel, and how expensive a seat you put in there.

30k would inc things like new engine mount, new wheel bearing, and new many other things. you know how i like to over do things.

40k would get you one.

NOTE: it's not a car you want to drive on street.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooty you sound pumped. and it sounds like fun. I have really been thinking that a BXR may be my first jump to racing from DE, but waiting for it to catch on in the mid west, not to many guys hear driving them yet. A buddy of mine is starting to build them. Did you work out the issue with the motor, I can recall the specifics at the moment but some guys are sending the motors away to take car of an inturnal issue I forget something about sleeves in the motor or some dame thing.
Anyway sounds like fun.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John where have you been?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
build cost is from 20k to 30k depending on if you DIY or hire pro's and what data acquisition, how many sets of wheel, and how expensive a seat you put in there.

30k would inc things like new engine mount, new wheel bearing, and new many other things. you know how i like to over do things.

40k would get you one.

Then you need a new shopping list:

Truck .... Diesel

Trailer..... Enclosed

More tools

Winch

Generators

A/C

Awning

Chairs for your friends

BBQ and ..

Big Fridge

Mini Cup car...????

I predict you finish up with a Cup car or RSR, and maybe a Semi and crew to support it.

Keep the RS for the "arrive and drive"

Great to hear you are having fun!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mooty

40k would get you one.

Then you need a new shopping list:

Truck .... Diesel

Trailer..... Enclosed

More tools

Winch

Generators

A/C

Awning

Chairs for your friends

BBQ and ..

Big Fridge

Mini Cup car...????

I predict you finish up with a Cup car or RSR, and maybe a Semi and crew to support it.

Keep the RS for the "arrive and drive"

Great to hear you are having fun!
OR

1. House in Chico
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

guys, I've driven a few race cars recently and would 1000% recommend a SPbox over an older 911 for similar budgets. it really handles well, and is a lot more disposable in the sense of drivetrain costs compared to the torsion bar cars that older club race people are always trying to toot the horns of.

mooty- please tell me you were wearing ear protection otherwise you'll likely be deaf soon. the spbox has it's own kinda loud!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

This all sounds very intcing to me, and I'm a street guy!!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK OK more details please.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a exciting weekend! can't wait to see it in action!

trailer is definitely the way to go! everyone's doin' it! lol
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If its truly goint to be your Racer moot, I would consider a open trailer. THe closed options increases price by 100% also you dont have eyeballs on it all the time without opening it up on the road.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
OG, you missed the part about him waxing his cars. An open trailer would drive him crazy!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Good point but the race car will become pitted enventually

Quick Reply: mooty is out of it.... ramblings