Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greygt3
I just replaced my battery, here are a couple notes for those of you that go the Interstate battery route.

The correct battery for the 997.1 GT3 according to Interstate is MTP-48/H6.
I spoke with the Interstate people and they told me that the MTP-91 will work but this battery will need a vent kit and it isn't a DIN spec battery. It's a USA spec battery and there are some internal differences. The price difference is twenty eight dollars.

I installed the MTP-48/H6 this evening and it's a perfect fit and has the vent on the correct side with the center carrying handles just like the Mol.
I think you are probably right. I did have to request and install a vent kit. However, the USA battery works fine where I live, in the USA. jk
Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

however, i put a shop rag under the hood latch to stop it from closing by accident.
When i went for a test run of the battery outside the shop, the wind caught the hood and threw it against windshield.

cost me a hood and windshield.

also had to remove front clubsport cage to access radio antenna connectors behind a-pillars to connect to new glass.......
Horror of horrors...

Just curious, how fast were you going before the hood got lifted aerodynamically?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Horror of horrors...

Just curious, how fast were you going before the hood got lifted aerodynamically?
1st gear. thankfully.... day before race day tech inspection too! oh the pressure!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM
tschus
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me exactly where to find the battery?
My 2006 Carrera S Cabriolet is starting slow (or so I think) and I assume the battery isn't covered under the CPO warranty (bought the car used).
I sourced a Bosch replacement at Pep Boys (part number 49-850B) in Thousand Oaks, CA for $104.
After getting it home, I placed it on my charger, on the 2 amp setting just to top it off.
Also - I heard that I should maintain power to the car in order to prevent various systems from losing memory. Is this true? Can I just connect my battery charger in 10 amp mode to the power cables to keep the car 'alive' while I swap out the battery?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:40 AM
tschus
3rd Gear

Found the battery, and have a few tips to share...

First, I used my battery charger on the 10 amp setting to keep the car 'alive' during surgery. This probably saved me from resetting the clock and other issues I have heard about.

Second, I used some epoxy and robbed one of the nuts from the battery tray mounts and moved the hold down into the forth tray hole as suggested (due to the Bosch battery being longer).

I took some helpful photos. How do I post them?

Most importantly, my car, which started OK before, cranks QUICKLY with confidence. I am now sure I did the right thing in replacing the battery when I did.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default interstate

Thanks for the heads up.

I went with the interstate last year. Not sure which one.
I will have to check as now im curious.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If your battery is completely dead AND you have the Porsche charger for the lighter socket, you can use the charger to put just enough juice to allow the hood to pop without the hideous "jumping the battery off from the fusebox to open the hood" procedure.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naparsei
If your battery is completely dead AND you have the Porsche charger for the lighter socket, you can use the charger to put just enough juice to allow the hood to pop without the hideous "jumping the battery off from the fusebox to open the hood" procedure.
Great if it works for you but it did not work for me last year.

The battery was so dead the Porsche charger running for a few days could not get the voltage high enough to do anything (I'm sure the charger has short circuit protection and it may have prevented it doing anything useful on a dead battery).

I had to find a beefier source (a fully charged 12V portable battery pack ...) and connected it through the lighter socket just long enough to pop the latch. The jumper on the fuse panel did NOT work for me - never did figure out why though.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:22 PM
DriftKr6l
Advanced

Bumping this old thread since my original 10YO battery gave up its ghost.

Went to Costco since I know they carry Interstate batteries and asked for a MTP-91. I got a weird look and was asked what car its for after giving him my car info he said they dont carry batteries for a Porsche and said he cant look up the battery by that part number

I also called PepBoys and asked for a Bosch battery, he looked it up and told me bosh 94r800b agm is teh right battery, however its for a 911 3.6L, not specifically for a GT3, which I thought we had smaller size batteries than the Carrera, so not sure if that would even fit.

Where do you guys buy your batteries from? Are there better alternatives now days?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Another tip, if your old battery still have some juice left.

Connect new battery (or a spare if you have like your trailer battery) with jumper cables to the car cables before removing old battery (easy on cayenne since it has terminals in engine bay and battery is under front seat)

Positive to positive and negative to negative. Careful so cables are not touching anything metal. Replace battery and remove jumper cables. This way the car always have power and you won't loose your settings.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

I got the blue Bosch battery from Pep Boys-4 year warranty
I posted about it on a thread, because it's a larger batt I had to weld a nut to the bottom of the tray so the bracket that holds it in place can be functional
Original battery is smaller and the hole for the longer one is there, but no nut to tighten in the new location
I decided to get this one since I'm not tracking. I thought the smaller batteries would be worse since my car is not a daily driver.
Also, reading about this it seems to be that the alternator doesn't charge some of the lightweight lithium batts very well
I still use a batt tender anyway
I'll look into other options in the future but certainly don't want battery acid spilling and topping off with distilled water-
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Anyone install a redtop Optima battery?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:09 AM
NevRS
AutoX

Hi Folks,

Just went through this with my '07 RS. INTERSTATE battery MT5 94R/H7. This is a top of the line AGM fully sealed battery. Go to interstate battery web site and they will guide you to the nearest dealer, or you can call local places who carry Interstate and order it. This will be my second one. last one lasted nearly 5 year, with car always on trickle charger.

Good luck!

Nev
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftKr6l
Bumping this old thread since my original 10YO battery gave up its ghost.

Went to Costco since I know they carry Interstate batteries and asked for a MTP-91. I got a weird look and was asked what car its for after giving him my car info he said they dont carry batteries for a Porsche and said he cant look up the battery by that part number

I also called PepBoys and asked for a Bosch battery, he looked it up and told me bosh 94r800b agm is teh right battery, however its for a 911 3.6L, not specifically for a GT3, which I thought we had smaller size batteries than the Carrera, so not sure if that would even fit.

Where do you guys buy your batteries from? Are there better alternatives now days?
See your in Elk Grove Village. Interstate has a battery store in Skokie IL. That is where I go when I need a new car battery.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Battery replacement DIY