Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Automobile magazine praises GT2, disses GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Drivers republic raced a PDK carrera against at GT-R and the Carrera won!
See it on their website.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
7:29
think of all the free PR they got with that little fib... was it worth it... of course
think of the hype for this car prior to the economy collapsing

it is bs and everyone knows it... as to them offering to give Porsche driving instruction when they could not duplicate the 7:29 with their showroom GTR... just another mortar round in the supposed battle...

Is the GTR awesome -- sure, technilogical marvel, Godzilla, new school, etc etc
Is it a 7:29 car -- well a Nissan test driver (suzuki?) supposedly did it... but in a bone stock showroom car on stock tires... it seems that Chris Harris and others cannot fathom it...

If it is so easy why don't they just do it again and let the press attend the event? I mean now that the car is out what is the big secret? Do it again and prove all the doubters wrong... seems simple to me.

Come on Nissan... the automotive press at large has pretty much said you are lying... maybe Porsche should give you some lap timing instruction in exchange for the driving instruction that you offered.
I think you're pretty much right on there.

It's hard to even put Porsche and Nissan in the same sentence. <cough>

At first I though the awd might give it an advantage in those testing conditions, but clearly Nissan got caught in a big one.

I guess in marketing terms they were just trying to get publicity.

It's just very good of Automobile to publish an honest article calling them out.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Drivers republic raced a PDK carrera against at GT-R and the Carrera won!
See it on their website.
I recommend reading the said article, here is the link: http://viewer.zmags.co.uk/showmag.ph...1&_x=1#/page2/

Readers can decide for themselves whether OldGuy's account of it is complete and accurate.

I suggest doing the same about Automobile's article about the GTR vs GT2 and see whether it "disses" the GTR.

Regards,
Chris
Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
I recommend reading the said article, here is the link: http://viewer.zmags.co.uk/showmag.ph...1&_x=1#/page2/

Readers can decide for themselves whether OldGuy's account of it is complete and accurate.

I suggest doing the same about Automobile's article about the GTR vs GT2 and see whether it "disses" the GTR.

Regards,
Chris
You didn't link to it, but DR has a video of the pdk besting (or at least equaling) the GTR. OldGuy's account is completely accurate.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Every time I saw a GT-R on the road I find the car to be very attractive and have very good proportions in it's design. This is a Japanese car that doesn't try to look anything other than just that. The roof-line is brilliantly executed.

But if I were in $70K range; I would not know whether to get a cherry 996 GT3 or a slightly used GT-R.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by am722
You didn't link to it, but DR has a video of the pdk besting (or at least equaling) the GTR. OldGuy's account is completely accurate.
No, I did better than that, I linked the whole thing for people to see whether a 20 page article can be summarized in such an incomplete and selective way, but that's just my take on it, which is why I posted the link to the article for readers to decide. Besides, it's a good read.

Regards,
Chris
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
am722
Drifting

Besides, it's a good read.
We can at least agree on that.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good read indeed! I enjoyed it.

Well, they said the 911 experience is diluted now and the car feel more GT than sport. PDK makes it worst with no driver involvement. The engine is muted. But it is very quick and has no problem following the Aston, Audi and GTR.

However they said from an enthusiast perspective the GTR is the winner.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone that owns a GT-R, how is it as a daily driver? Any reliability issues? I'm considering one for road use, not track use. Any discounts off MSRP on these yet?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Regards,
Chris
Agreed. I think the conclusion is that the GT2 is faster but what the GTR accomplishes is remarkable. IMO the GTR is a quantum leap in performance and technology at that price level. It will certainly push ALL competitors to try harder.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink

Originally Posted by Riz
Anyone that owns a GT-R, how is it as a daily driver? Any reliability issues? I'm considering one for road use, not track use. Any discounts off MSRP on these yet?
From second-hand experiences of the 2001 E46 M3's S54 engine (I had the 2002 model), it is best to wait for at the very least 1 year before buying the model. Back then what BMW did was their straight-6 to redline at 8,200. The BMW and their part supplier sized the bearing tolerance wrong causing oil starvation at higher RPM. I am sure the calculations of tolerances were done with a temperature profile but in the real-world application BMW also suspected that most owners do not warmup the engine properly before reving the engine.

So, long story short; if my brother were thinking of buying a GT-R, I would suggest him not to buy such techno-packed "Ring"-barer car, at the very least, in the first year.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
problem with launch control on gtr is probably more likely a result of owner's 'enthusiasm' using it as opposed to most ferrari owners who never use theirs. any car that has lc will suffer repair issues if its regularly used
Not a PDK, launch away over and over with no warranty issues
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

PDK is not available w/ the C4S yet, right? Or?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by NJcroc
Not a PDK, launch away over and over with no warranty issues
That is why many of us are eagerly waiting to see whether Porsche will fit PDK to the 997 turbo along with launch control, as another contributor said on a parallel thread this will be an apple-to-apple comparison with the GTR. The reason is that launch control on a high powered 4WD is far harsher than a similar setup on a lower hp/torque RWD car.

Regards,
Chris
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
TripleM
Racer

Re-test is what we need to see the truth as pointed out above

If I got the car and live in Germany, I will offer Suzuki, take my stock car n drive it like a legend, prove to the world that u can really break 7.30!

Quick Reply: Automobile magazine praises GT2, disses GT-R