Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OldGuy's GT Silver 997 GT3 Shows Up @ SharkWerks:)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
GEESH Can I have it back???!!!!

Love the new wheels.

I am probably going to order a C2S with an aero package. I hope you guys
dont think I am a pouser but Given my new life I dont think the NEW GT3 is worth
the price diff. Also the ride will be better for my back. I am mid way through
physical therapy and stepping off the med train. Going to Ibuprofren and asprin.
... with PDK too?

Don't forget the 435 ponies. Paul, we need to talk, I have Gt3 lust lately, am I going over the deep end? But ... 435 ponies!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Paul:

I have had my '09 C2S about a month and have just over 1000 miles on it. I am completely happy with the car. Plenty of power ( and great sound if you add the Sharkwerks cross-over by pass) The PDK is an amazing Transmission and that is from an old stick guy who was never impressed with Tiptronic. The paddles for me are perfect. The steering and suspension is improved over the '08. Bottom line while the GT3 was a incredible vehicle the new C2S provides the same fun and is a better day to day driver.

PDK, LSD, Adapative sport seats, heated seats, Nav and Bose. Ipod and Bluetooth
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Just needs an RS wing and deck-lid (of which I have one spare ... : )
PM also sent!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul and Alex:

Looks like she found herself a good home!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Adam
Goood points but I expect a MUCH BIGGER discount on the C2S. The delta willl be
greater MUCH greater or I go GT3 for # THREE!!!!

Jim 435?? I have almost 500 in my little mercedes
Rear tires are going at 2000 miles!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Adam
Good points but I expect a MUCH BIGGER discount on the C2S. The delta willl be greater MUCH greater or I go GT3 for # THREE!!!!

Jim 435?? I have almost 500 in my little mercedes
Rear tires are going at 2000 miles!
Discount is relevant. And the 10% +/- factor will widen the delta to the GT3. Fair enough. But does it really change the comparison? The discount applies to all buyers -- on the whole, or at least that season of discounting will be reflected in the wholesale market -- underpinning the secondary market -- so the brave buyers in 2009 collectively carry that discount forward. and it applies to the depreciation curve as well as the balance of supply and demand in the future.

Only a "luxury" Carrera would cost more than a GT3, but even a bare bones Carrera will incur a higher percentage depreciation regardless of the dollar amount. $80K losing 50% is a lot more expensive and a lot higher risk than $120K losing 30% -- and current GT3's have not yet lost 30% despite extraordinary circumstances.

Anyway, you bought an AMG, so you've been excommunicated from the Porsche dominion. Banished to the hell hole of high volume production engineering. Damned to an eternity of Toyota parts ... oh ... wait ... what ... that's right ... Toyota helped get Porsche's bacon out of the fire for the 993 ... hmmm.

You still bought a Mercedes ... leper!

Last edited by Carrera GT; 02-08-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: missed a gratuitous elipsis
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. . . Anyway, you bought an AMG, so you've been excommunicated from the Porsche dominion. Banished to the hell hole of high volume production engineering. Damned to an eternity of Toyota parts ... oh ... wait ... what ... that's right ... Toyota helped get Porsche's bacon out of the fire for the 993 ... hmmm.

You still bought a Mercedes ... leper!
OldGuy has already been tried and acquitted of crimes against the Porsche dominion, because of his personal medical circumstances - same thing for any allegations of leprosy. He is welcome to post anytime on this forum!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

MMMM so sexy
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Law!! I made an egregious mistake based on a failing
health situation. Now that my back has been fixed (I hope I am 80% better now)
I have realized my mistake and I am trying to rectify my downfall.
Adam HAS confused me and made me think but I need to wait for
PDK to pacify the wife and the financial times though they haven't effected
me, have made me cautious. I have thrown myself on the mercy of the court
and want to apply back to not the association of Porschephiles but to the FAMILY
of Porsche addicts!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Alex, the HRE P43 wheels are nice!
Cheers and I like 'em so much we have them on the 997.2 car too
Always cruel to see an old girlfriend (one that you still like, anyway) hanging out with a new bloke.

So it goes.

Anyway, noice wuheels!

Can't say I like the pedals much (pity Porsche doesn't do just a little bit nicer stock factory pedal.)

What does the software do? For the flywheel, are you also changing anything else on the engine? Any main seal problem on this one?

Seems like it could use ride height and alignment changes. GT Silver really is a great color for that car. Just needs an RS wing and deck-lid (of which I have one spare ... : )
LOL too funny about the old girlfriend and being cruel! It actually had a _front_ main seal leak (the RMS was ok) which is rare but got taken care of under warranty. We just did the full RS clutch/flywheel dealio and then added the EVOMSit software on there (doesn't give you bags of HP like a TT but still has a few more ponies and crazier throttle response). It does need an alignment me thinks... A trip to Tony should fix that. I'll see if he wants the RS wing then.... good call and will fit perfect on a silver car.

Originally Posted by N-Dub
Alex, I love your 'documentary' posts!! Great Work! Keep it up!
Always a pleasure N-dub!
Originally Posted by lawjdc
That is one beautiful car!
Can't go wrong with silver. So used to seeing white but other than Snowboarder's you don't see many in silver...
GEESH Can I have it back???!!!!

Love the new wheels.

I am probably going to order a C2S with an aero package. I hope you guys
dont think I am a pouser but Given my new life I dont think the NEW GT3 is worth
the price diff. Also the ride will be better for my back. I am mid way through
physical therapy and stepping off the med train. Going to Ibuprofren and asprin.
Too funny Paul! She went to a good home though I promise.. You need to try the new PDK/997.2. It's seriously quick and so easy to drive. If you're up here you can always try ours out.
Originally Posted by tlarocque
Alex- remember me, Todd in Phoenix, 1st GT-610 car (now gone). I have an '04 GT3 with a pile of go fast goodies on its way to me (coming from NorCal). Will the above wheels mount up to a 996 GT3? The car I'm getting has 19"s on it and I want to go 18".
I do remember! How's things? Nice to see you got the GT3 bug too. As much of a torque-monkey as I am I got seriously bitten by the GT3 and it's more fun (even without the torque) isn't it? Those wheels will work on the 6GT3 (the Fikses) and you're right to go on 18s. Don't run 19s on the 6....
Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Law!! I made an egregious mistake based on a failing
health situation. Now that my back has been fixed (I hope I am 80% better now)
I have realized my mistake and I am trying to rectify my downfall.
Adam HAS confused me and made me think but I need to wait for
PDK to pacify the wife and the financial times though they haven't effected
me, have made me cautious. I have thrown myself on the mercy of the court
and want to apply back to not the association of Porschephiles but to the FAMILY
of Porsche addicts!!
No prob. I have mixed feelings about a PDK GT3, even though I am #1 for a GT3RS at a dealership that will for sure get an allocation if Porsche actually produces the car. What scares me the most about PDK is that other family members might actually think its ok for them to drive the car! (they aren't comfortable driving a manual tranny)

Glad to hear you are still making progress with your recovery.

-Doug
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Now that Adam has scared me, the 996 TT has come into the picture. One thing I have now is patience and knowledge.
I could pull off that right now.

I still need to get up and see the SHARK!!! THis spring maybe. we are talking about a get together in the Cambria area for
all to come. SoCal dudes and NoCal dudes.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i wont do PDK on GT3 until the next one. the current PDK is good, but far far from being great. i drove it and 90% of the time it's very smart. now get to 110mph, and try to make a 20mph turn dropping 3-4 gears, you will FEEL what i mean. hey, i only drive recklessly on public street when i test drive ;-)

paul, i bet you a lot of money that if you bought anything beside GT3, you will sell it and buy a GT3 shortly after you bought the non GT3. trust me on this one. stop fooling yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i wont do PDK on GT3 until the next one. the current PDK is good, but far far from being great. i drove it and 90% of the time it's very smart. now get to 110mph, and try to make a 20mph turn dropping 3-4 gears, you will FEEL what i mean. hey, i only drive recklessly on public street when i test drive ;-)
I did the same thing and it was butter. Well, actually it made very abrupt up-shifts, which wouldn't be prudent under some conditions, but the down-shifts were better than double-clutching and leave the driver to concentrate on precise threshold braking. Sometimes it's the singer, sometimes it's the song. : )

You have to imagine the improvements to PDK will come and surely it will be tweaked for the GT3 especially in terms of "in extremis" manners.

Quick Reply: OldGuy's GT Silver 997 GT3 Shows Up @ SharkWerks:)