PCCB Motorsport ('Green') Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

But as an EXTREMELY knowledgeable person, at a race track, once wagged his finger at me and in the best english he could muster said "never, ever use P 50 pads on the street". He went on to explain that the increase in stopping distances with "cold brakes" and P 50s could cost your life in an emergency. No, he wasn't scaremongering, he was too practical for that and he knew the all GT cars inside and out.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for all you P50 (Green pads) users...

When you really stand up on your PCCBs how much more stopping power do you get (want) with the P50s that you don't get with the regular P40s??? And if the justification is that P50s last longer than P40s...heck, they eat your rotors a lot faster. What 'am I missing here???
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Question for all you P50 (Green pads) users...

When you really stand up on your PCCBs how much more stopping power do you get (want) with the P50s that you don't get with the regular P40s??? And if the justification is that P50s last longer than P40s...heck, they eat your rotors a lot faster. What 'am I missing here???
So far, I don't really feel the need to risk a shorter lifespan on the rotors by using the P50s. P40s have worked fine for me at the track, with not a single fade event and great feel under all circumstances (specially considering that I'm 20mph+ faster at any braking point than in any other car I had before).

Sure; it is likely that P50s will feel firmer, but other than to avoid replacing pads in a 1 day event, why do people feel/think P50s are a must for the track?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Not that I disagree, but I think that any and all new pads should be bedded in (i.e. the 10 very hard back to back stops form 60 to 5mph)

What is far more critical to know is that the OE pccb pads "under track conditions" will release a gas that causes you to blow 2 corners while it happens - this will never happen for street driven cars so don't worry, but I think porsche should include in the manual information about this because when it happened to the first of us that got the cars on the track it was very scary and no one knew what was happening and the techs at the dealer didn't believe it. The other issue that should also be covered in the manual is how the bit point will fall about an inch once the rotors have been scrubbed in at the track - again, for those that experienced it we all thought the brakes were failing / fluid boilling
yes, i agree
when i first drove pccb gt3, i cannot heel and toe. car was not tracked yet at that time.

then the car had 300 fairly easy track miles. no prob heel toeing anymore. brake engages at lower pedal point.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

How long are all your PCCB rotors lasting?

I ask this because I wanted PCCB's but did not get them on my 09 because I know guys that I track with at Sebring and the PCCB rotors did not last long (5-6 events I believe) and are way too expensive ($10K!!!) to replace.

thanks!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

I ask this because I wanted PCCB's but did not get them on my 09 because I know guys that I track with at Sebring and the PCCB rotors did not last long (5-6 events I believe) and are way too expensive ($10K!!!) to replace.

thanks!
996 Turbo S (Gen2) - 42k miles and still looking good

997 GT3RS ( evolved Gen2) - 22k miles (and a lot of track days) still looking good.

As I've said many times before...replace pads when 50% worn; Castrol SRF brake fluid; proper bed-in of new pads; proper cool down laps = extend rotor life.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

thanks!
- 34 events and 33,000kms driving total
- i think the rotors have about another 15 to 20 events = 50 maybe 60 in total
- i think this equals 5 maybe 6 times the length of irons (sound about right?)
- so, if it is 5x, does that make ther ceramics about 2X as expensive to run

i.e. does 2 X cost of 5 irons = cost of 1 ceramics ???? (anyone have todays prices of each from the dealer)
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^

But as an EXTREMELY knowledgeable person, at a race track, once wagged his finger at me and in the best english he could muster said "never, ever use P 50 pads on the street". He went on to explain that the increase in stopping distances with "cold brakes" and P 50s could cost your life in an emergency. No, he wasn't scaremongering, he was too practical for that and he knew the all GT cars inside and out.
I don't disagree with this and posted this information when I first put the P50 pads in - I wouldn't send my wife out in the car without specifically telling her about the pads - up here where it is cold (i take the car out every few weeks in the winter to keep it alive) the first 2 stops you have to be careful. However on a warm summer day it is fine (still not as short stopping distance with the OE pads with a cold car but it is fine)
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgomez
So far, I don't really feel the need to risk a shorter lifespan on the rotors by using the P50s. P40s have worked fine for me at the track, with not a single fade event and great feel under all circumstances (specially considering that I'm 20mph+ faster at any braking point than in any other car I had before).

Sure; it is likely that P50s will feel firmer, but other than to avoid replacing pads in a 1 day event, why do people feel/think P50s are a must for the track?
They are not "a must" for the track - they just last "a lot" longer (probably about 2X as long)

You are correct, the stock pads do not fade and I also like the P40 OE "feel" as they are softer.

Since everything cost money (rotors & pads) to me it just came down to convenience (i.e. I could spend $800 for a set of OE pads that last 3 events for the rears or I could spend the same money and have the pads last 10 events - the question then becomes how much faster do the P50s wear the rotors than the P40s under track conditions - i'm not sure there are too many people alive that know that information exactly but if I had to guess I would think that everything nets out in the end and it therefore comes down to convenience)
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone happen to know the specifications of the standard brake fluid, and if it's the same as for non-PCCB Porsches?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,993 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
As I've said many times before...replace pads when 50% worn; Castrol SRF brake fluid; proper bed-in of new pads; proper cool down laps = extend rotor life.
+1
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

- i'm 99% sure it is the same fluid used for both cars - standard dot 4 porsche fluid
- that should be easy, just call any dealer parts department Monday and get them to read you the label (wet boiling point being the key)
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but being Sunday, and this being Rennlist - there's bound to be someone who has the answer to hand.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 2004 GT3 with PCCB my local dealer in Vancouver used a DOT5.1 brake fluid. No other info on my invoice. When I started tracking the car I moved to Motul RBF600.

Cheers,
Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been using the Porsche Motorsport P50 on A&P front steel and rear PCCB's.
Have no problems with the P50 cold, if you check the temp vs. torque spec sheet posted in the past, they show a great amount of low temp torque.
I have used RS-14 and several milder pads as well and I have found the P50's to be the best street track pad out there.
No problem with daily driving and they are amazing pad at the track.

Quick Reply: PCCB Motorsport ('Green') Pads