Market value GT3 VS RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Define enjoyment for yourself. Let the collectors define it too. Those that spend the(ir) money get to make their rules. Who are you to dictate what others do with their cars?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default rs

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
Define enjoyment for yourself. Let the collectors define it too. Those that spend the(ir) money get to make their rules. Who are you to dictate what others do with their cars?
Good point. some people really enjoy looking at their car in the garage and taking it to occasional shows.

Although, driving is the intended use, so i would have to say defining enjoyment is actually driving the car, or in the case of the RS, tracking it.

It was engineered to be track effective.

So id say it is safe to say (driving/track) is the definition of enjoyment of the RS.

But yes, some enjoy parking them and showing them.

The question is, what is the most fun way to enjoy the deprectiation?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
So to really enjoy "driving" it could require a race license and/or professional training. Without that, it might be a waste (or dangerous). Unless. of course, you have a God given talent.

I don't think driving is the intended use, rather ownership is the (Porsche) intended purpose. After that, it is up to the owners' discretion.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to "track" their Porsche should get lots of Professional instruction (PSDS?) and that adds to the cost of the car in more ways than one.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs

to own a RS and then to sell a RS without ever feeling its ability on a track (D.E, track days, etc.) is a waste. yes, most definitly.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:05 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are not getting it (and still dictating uses?)!

To maximize the "driving" enjoyment of an RS on the track, requires (for most) that you spend a great amount of money to learn how to do it. Some might spend as much as the car cost again, unless they have that God given talent. With such talent the RS would be boring!

So for someone who chooses to just appreciate the engineering and beauty (at half the cost and depreciation) is OK too, even if they never go to the track.

Horses for courses!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh!

One more point on tracking cars. If you are going to take your car to the track and "extract" all performance, then you had better do so with the mindset that you can afford to leave the car there. The adventure, as many can attest to, adds up to pretty rapid depreciation.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default rs

if never have truely driven a RS to your limit is like buying a good cigar and never smoking it or buying a fine wine and never drinking it....

although people do that and i can understand, you are absolutly right. ( i see people pass my warf with 1000hp race boats and they only idle around in them which is cool and i see why). Some people need the heart to pump for enjoyment, and other need mental stimulation. Some both.

Like for example if my father used a RS to get groceries, he couldnt be happier, where as i would have to do a track day to get my kicks from the car. Differnet strokes for different folks.

As for the odd D.E or track day, it isnt all that much money. (not talking about PCA or SCCA seasonal events)

And most all RS owners that afforded the car new that decidedly track the car for fun wouldnt be ruined if the car got damaged at the track. Most everyone accepts the risk going into it and (although crappy) can afford it no doubt.

And if one has the talent, the RS isnt exactly boring when running with cup cars at the track. (modded mind you) i.e*NJGT
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 AM
dagor6
Advanced

I think making the RS was a mistake and I don't see Porsche doing it again soon. The RS is clearly the better car, great, does anyone think that removing a sun roof and using a different control arm dimension actually costs Porsche more? The pricing is "What the market will bear" .... well that's over, especially with the retraction in financing.

IMO, the GT3 should have been the RS at the same price as the GT3. The new 997 is really good, I think as the gap closes on it and the GT3, Porsche will likely kick the next GT3 up to a higher level then call it a day.

As for the resale value, the price is dropping with the economy, of course, but also financing. To me, under 100K is a sweet spot with stablitity since it's the financing barrier for a lot of companies. I don't see the RS holding it's value as the new GT3.2 appears and bridges the gap, but with better technology.

I also think a lot of people will move to the PDK if it's made in a "GT" form so to speak, I don't see it being skipped given that it can clearly provide better performance if it's correctly built as a proper sequential. With that change I think you'll see huge downward pressure on GT3 pricing, but I think it'll impact the RS's more as their prices just becomes ridiculous.

And no one I ever heard of bought an RS for less of a markup than a GT3 owner paid. I think the actual prices paid were a huge gap and they're both showing about a 25K fall off.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a black GT3 RS mainly because it's different than anything else Porsche makes - looks and performance. If it didn't have the orange highlights and decals I'm not sure I would have bought it. Don't most people buy expensive cars for looks and exclusivity first and performance second? People still gather around the car wherever I park it. I don't care about cost because I'm not selling it.

It's also fun working on something that may be the only one in a hundred (or for some people a thousand) miles...
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

The 997 RS has had the unfortunate effect of bringing Ferrari-esque thinking to Porscheland. The idea of purchasing an exotic sports car for the purpose of polishing it rather than driving it is well established among the F-car fraternity. It's a bit upsetting that the same attitude is now also associated with one of Porsche's greatest drivers cars of all time. The GT3 RS deserves much more than to be seen as a frivolous fashion accessory, or financial instrument. But to each his own.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
The 997 RS has had the unfortunate effect of bringing Ferrari-esque thinking to Porscheland. The idea of purchasing an exotic sports car for the purpose of polishing it rather than driving it is well established among the F-car fraternity. It's a bit upsetting that the same attitude is now also associated with one of Porsche's greatest drivers cars of all time. The GT3 RS deserves much more than to be seen as a frivolous fashion accessory, or financial instrument. But to each his own.
Nothing wrong with that. The GT3 RS is the first P-car in a long time that looks different than all the others and drives great.

BTW, I hate polishing mine and drive it regularly. Even my wife drives it and loves the looks and feel.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i do everything.

drive the **** out of my RS.
do my own oil change, pads, rotors.
wash, clay, polish, wax the car, put in under cover in the garage.
next weekend, it goes to track again and get covered with grime, crap, rubber and bugs...
repeat above.....

hey, whatever flows your boat...
it's all good.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill S.
I bought a black GT3 RS mainly because it's different than anything else Porsche makes - looks and performance. If it didn't have the orange highlights and decals I'm not sure I would have bought it. Don't most people buy expensive cars for looks and exclusivity first and performance second? People still gather around the car wherever I park it. I don't care about cost because I'm not selling it.

It's also fun working on something that may be the only one in a hundred (or for some people a thousand) miles...
nice roman shades in the garage.
what floor are those?
no peeling?
can you clean it if you dump oil all over, inc brake fluid?

lovely cars and garage.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill S.

you two cars are an awesome way to have two cars!

you have anything else? or planning on something else?

im dreaming right now......
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
you two cars are an awesome way to have two cars!

you have anything else? or planning on something else?

im dreaming right now......
Thanks! See below. It's fun to look at, maintain and drive them. I really like taking them apart. My Mom said when I was a kid they say down at the dining table and it fell to the ground. I took all the pins out of the legs! I was only 4.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Market value GT3 VS RS