Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm liking this thread!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m42racer
i looked at the cargraphic kit and spoke to someone who bought one in the UK. The performance numbers never were up to advertised quotes and the cost for this was the deal breaker. We are projecting not disasembling the case, only removing the heads. This should lower the labor costs. The kit I am told will consist of Pistons, Liners, and Cams and Heads on exchange. I hope that the cost will be affordable. I no for sure it will be no where close to the cargraphic cost. A full Cup rebuild with dyno costs less than $20K, so I cannot see how a top end build with Pistons and Liners will come close to this.
I decided to go with US builder who builds a lot of these engines (Cup) and who could show me real live numbers. They recently did a 4.0L upgrade to a Cup engine and I was there to watch the mapping. This engine made over 480 HP and the torque curve never dipped below 300 Ft/lbs from 4000 to 8300 RPM. The cargraphic torque numbers seem to be inflated as the engine in the UK has never been able to even come close to the advertised numbers and race Cup engines do not make as much with open Exhausts.

The Trans will be an issue. I figure it will be changing the ratios for sure. I certainly will be watching everything else. Thanks for the heads up.

As soon as we start this build I will start posting updates. Like I said, the Liners will not be ready until the end of January, but we will stat the disassembly, Head work etc in the 2nd week of this month.
What shop in Britain had the Cargraphic motor on a engine dyno? Do you have the sheets ?

Is Neal mapping the ME or is this a MOtec/Link ect affair ?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
What shop in Britain had the Cargraphic motor on a engine dyno? Do you have the sheets ?

Is Neal mapping the ME or is this a MOtec/Link ect affair ?
I spoke to the car owner. I did not ask which shop did the work, nor did he give this up.

Quick Reply: 4.0L RS upgrade