Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 gt3 this winters upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TeamDrugMoney;6087018]Hey Stu,

I hope it wasn't my magnet that took out your grill at WG. I think it was WG II that I lost my TDM silver magnet on the front straight. When I asked the flaggers if they saw it, they asked which parts I wanted.

Good luck with your mods. I plan on some light suspension and probably some graphics.

Talk to you later,

Mike[/QUO

5 posts....WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND...your going to love it on rennlist alot of fun people and great advise and no bull****..well most of the time.

no not your magnet it happened at nnjr/pca thunderbolt last run of the day,and kenny has pic's of the whole thing.and they offered to pay for the damage.which i declined it was was a friends father's giant advertisement magnet.i was wondering why my water temp. was going so high until i pulled in and dragged it out of my front end air intakes.

didn't you tell me that your on a wait list for something special?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s997gt3
whats a guard lsd? i think the adjustable toe links will be on my list others have reccommened them.but i haven't heard of the locking plates what are they?

i already have the grill screens but my center one got almost totatly wasted when a guys giant logo magnet sign blew of his car and got stuck into my center screen good thing i had that screen. i also found wheel weights stuck in the other ones.so i will be replacing all 3 with new ones this winter.i think i got them from gmg last year the ones that porsche raceing uses.

yea been running the pagid 29's they work great.
Guard is the name of the transmission components manufacturer with all kinds of race caliber parts including whole assemblies like differentials.

http://www.guardtransmission.com/

I use a Guard LSD in my 993 GT2 clone alone with various fortification for the gearbox. Top shelf stuff. Top shelf price. Excellent knowledge and advice. Highly recommended.

I'd also advocate after-market toe-links. ERP is the premium brand.

I have the Sharkwerks 3rd muff delete on my 997 GT3 and I greatly appreciate the weight reduction and the exhaust note which goes a long way to getting rid of the "Boxster" sound of a stock 997. : )

I have a set of ERP toe-links in a box, I haven't done an alignment on my latest 997 yet, so they haven't gone on. The factory rear toe arms are pretty weak. It's high time Porsche went to threaded links for all adjustable arms. At least they've gone to shims on the front for camber.

I've known both owners for many years and I'd point you to either of:

Bob at http://www.vortexmotorsport.com/

Alex at http://www.sharkwerks.com/

Neither of them is close to you, but they'll give you a useful reference point on pricing and their service is applauded all over forum sites like Rennlist and 6speedonline.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1 for the Sharkwerks exhaust.

That sound is to die for and the main reason why I put on so many miles on my car.

Stu - you should replace your current exhaust system (or what's not left of it) ASAP with Sharkwerks. Right now your car is LOUD in a brutish sense and it'll make you go deaf in a couple of years. Get the Sharkwerks 'cause it's not just loud but more like a musical symphony.

No need to thank me. Anything I can do to help friends spend their money on worthwhile pleasures...
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hey Stu,

I am next in line at the local P Dealership for the GT3. Not sure with 55 or so track days in 2 years that I am worthy of such a beast, but will go for it anyway. I do not expect it to be available til mid to late next year, so I can continue to learn on what I have for now. There is so much to learn!

I like to peak around this area of Rennlist for info on what concerns/mods people have about their GT3s.

I will be interested to see what this next GT3 all has going for it. Sounds like DFI is for sure, but dry sump seems to be the big question. There is plenty of speculation going on. I am guessing 440 HP sounds about right, but what do I know.

Keep in touch during this dry season of track events. I am switching over to snowboarding for a while to keep the juices flowing.

Later,

Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by jenk12m
gt2 sway bar
maybe replacing rear toe links or a dog bone kit
or even a ecu remap
dealer said no ecu flash and only catback on the exhaust.my car pulls pretty strong w/o flash.and it pulls on farnbackers ecu flashed car with their exhaust. 1 more year and the warrenty expires and than i'll flash it.

so i think so far i will put on my list of winter mods ..............

toe links and a dog bone kit,gt2 sway bar and take some faster drivers for rides at every track i go to so i can take it up another notch...FASTER FASTER, brake later and NO COASTING.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
springs and LSD would be a good combo if you track a lot- those are the real deficiencies of the car in my opinion
+1. Many of us tracking the 3 with the OE LSD may not event know how good or bad it is until we drive one with a Guard or other racing LSD. One of the tell tail signs of a LSD not locking is under heavy braking. When I am doing a heavy brake like from 150mph to 80mph my Rear dances a little, I originally thought it was the ABS threshold kicking in, and it could be, but after reading the technical article on the Guard web, I am not sure now.

Some one asked what was locking toe links?

The adjustable rear links that adjust the rear toe (alignment settings) is not known for keeping the rear toe adjustment. Just not a good system for the amount of power. so you can buy adjustable links and the locking plates insure that they links stay in place. the parts run about 500.00 but if you track your car much you will save that in alignment costs.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,358 Likes on 630 Posts

toe links are crucial.

mike, at 55 track days in the last 2 years you're doing more than a lot of the guys on here- but there are crazy guys like me doing 50-75+ per year...
Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm C J I with that many track days per year I am definitely jealous!!! I am hoping to do about 35 in 2009, and add some new tracks to my resume. When I do get the GT3 I would rather have some decent experience under my belt. It is a shame to see a GT3 go around a track and not get pushed around a bit.

Best of luck with your track days!

Mike

BTW Stu definitely knows how to drive his GT3, and yes his exhaust is loud, but sounds pretty cool when he goes by!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Originally Posted by todinlaw
+1. Many of us tracking the 3 with the OE LSD may not event know how good or bad it is until we drive one with a Guard or other racing LSD. One of the tell tail signs of a LSD not locking is under heavy braking. When I am doing a heavy brake like from 150mph to 80mph my Rear dances a little, I originally thought it was the ABS threshold kicking in, and it could be, but after reading the technical article on the Guard web, I am not sure now.

Some one asked what was locking toe links?

The adjustable rear links that adjust the rear toe (alignment settings) is not known for keeping the rear toe adjustment. Just not a good system for the amount of power. so you can buy adjustable links and the locking plates insure that they links stay in place. the parts run about 500.00 but if you track your car much you will save that in alignment costs.
i get no dancing on back straight of vir 165 to 80 into a left on on the back straight and 150 to 60 hard right turn on the front.
maybe i'm not pushing hard enough this i doubt so maybe leave good enough alone.

i spoke to my mechanic today cars going in shop the monday after new years.
i asked about motons he said no way to much involved to set up correctly.

so i think we are doing springs front and rear,toe links and dog bone setup,but i'm not sure about the type of shocks.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s997gt3
i get no dancing on back straight of vir 165 to 80 into a left on on the back straight and 150 to 60 hard right turn on the front.
maybe i'm not pushing hard enough this i doubt so maybe leave good enough alone.

i spoke to my mechanic today cars going in shop the monday after new years.
i asked about motons he said no way to much involved to set up correctly.

so i think we are doing springs front and rear,toe links and dog bone setup,but i'm not sure about the type of shocks.
Just my opinion, but I would not do shocks yet, they are not bad to start with and you will get allot out of what you planned, and if you do to much at one time and don't like it, it will be hard to back off what is not working for you. Others may disagree but the OE dampers are decent if you re spring them.

Quick Reply: 997 gt3 this winters upgrades