Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

mj- stop rubbing it in
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
mj- stop rubbing it in
+1... it's crazy how u guys have seen it though...LUCKY!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I personally liked the white one better.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:52 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

White's my color... I wish you could have took some pix of the cars or video the cars driving by. Also it would be great if you can tell us some more info on those beasts...

I ENVI U... I assume you have a deposit or two on those babies CJ?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm on the list for multiple versions of porsche...not going to say what kind
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Always great to see the spy pictures. But what crack heads do they hire to cut an paste the same unsubstantiated drivel each time the post pictures?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Always great to see the spy pictures. But what crack heads do they hire to cut an paste the same unsubstantiated drivel each time the post pictures?
Precisely why I started running spy photos years ago, dumping their garbage filler and substituting detailed analysis and the merging of what I knew, as well as perspective based on Porsche's past doings through time. Then, dealing with one of these services, trying to get them to stop distributing bum info, I learned that a) they don't care about good text to go with the pics and b) "good" text can actually serve as a detriment to their sales.

More recently, I've felt (wrongly?) that the web and forums are better places for these than a 9-times -a-year magazine. It seems to me that enough of you "get" what to look for and pick up on the subtleties, as well as the stuff meant to throw you off. What galls me is when the "spy" stuff is so early as to be nearly useless, or flat out wrong, like the 996 Aero Kit test car once sent out as the "996 Turbo" to come.

Every now and then, though, they really get something. Funny thing is they don't seem to know it when they do.

pete
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

mj- stop rubbing it in
Just letting them know that it gets better from here on out..
Originally Posted by dsu*
+1... it's crazy how u guys have seen it though...LUCKY!
You can say that again...truly an awesome experience!
I liked the "green" one...
Originally Posted by dsu*
White's my color... I wish you could have took some pix of the cars or video the cars driving by. Also it would be great if you can tell us some more info on those beasts...

I ENVI U... I assume you have a deposit or two on those babies CJ?
Cameras of any sort were strictly prohibited as were mobile phones...we can't say much of anything other than Porsche never rests...always something better around the corner.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:42 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Cameras of any sort were strictly prohibited as were mobile phones...we can't say much of anything other than Porsche never rests...always something better around the corner.
Just went in last week for a targeted interview. I saw the no cell phone signage, but they let us keep ours (and my iPhone was itchy), but I got the sense I would be shot on sight if I pulled it out. The funnier thing was how fast the guard drove us from the shack to the offices we had to go to. I'd say it was, oh, 60 mph. Through a parking lot. Saw lots of interesting cars, but the blur made them less useful even than spy shots. He did, however, forget to close the filler cap on the Cayenne he drove us in and all I'm gonna say is that it had a VERY funny looking pipe in there...

pete
Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM
RajGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i have heard from the reps is there will likely be not RS version. Only a GT3. And the Pic above is it. The center locking wheels will be an option. The Wing you see is what will be std.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:23 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Just went in last week for a targeted interview. I saw the no cell phone signage, but they let us keep ours (and my iPhone was itchy), but I got the sense I would be shot on sight if I pulled it out. The funnier thing was how fast the guard drove us from the shack to the offices we had to go to. I'd say it was, oh, 60 mph. Through a parking lot. Saw lots of interesting cars, but the blur made them less useful even than spy shots. He did, however, forget to close the filler cap on the Cayenne he drove us in and all I'm gonna say is that it had a VERY funny looking pipe in there...

pete
I know what you mean...I'm glad they took my phone away.... I would've been way too tempted!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag

pete

It seems to me that electric/diesel/hydrogen alternatives are hardly off the reservation for Porsche or any car maker. Personally, I'd drop everything and go with electric until someone comes along with a really slam-dunk superior proposition -- it's only government that wants "infrastructure" solutions (taxable) like hydrogen (idiotic) or hybrid (fantastic interim measure for the 1980's and 90's ...)

Any other journo's visiting the holiest of holies should carry a high speed video camera like the Casio EX-F1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qA-HazvwY

... aside from the 1200 frames per second slo-mo, my favorite feature is how the camera takes continuous high-res frames before you press the shutter so if you're trying to do something like snap that tire just as it tears across the berm at the apex, you don't have to time it, just shoot and the camera gets the shot. This camera is almost as cool as hammering a metal pin into your golf ball so you can find it in the rough with a metal detector. : )
Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^That is a cool camera! Re the metal pin, one best have some serious club head control otherwise I see unwanted and uncontrollable ball spin - ie an unwanted self fulfilling prophesy

OT but I also agree with your points on alternative engine tech. Please figure out the one that really works and lets place our energy (and money) towards developing that. I think that unfortunately our country will be doing way too much stuff just to feel good or placate. It will be very interesting to see what the Big 3 are required to do if they get the $ they are asking for.

Quick Reply: New 997 GT3 RS