Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Chipped PCCB Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
PoorBobbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipped PCCB Rotor

Just noticed something odd; my right front PCCB rotor has some minor chips on the very outter corner/edge facing the car. It goes about 6" around the radious and has some various chips about 1/16" wide. I'm thinking a rock may have been lodged at the top of the caliper. It seems very smooth in that area, no sharp edges or cracks. Any thought if it should be replaced. I received part of a service manual from my mechanic on inspecting PCCB rotors for Cup Cars...it states "no mechanical damage". I don't track the car...any thoughts if its safe to continue with this rotor?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you throw up a pic?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damage like that usually occurs from tire changes without using the supplied wheel supports that screw into the hub and allow the wheel to slide straight out and go back on without touching the rotor...damage to the rotor rim usually calls for replacement...get your dealer to look at it...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
sheim911rs
Intermediate

damage like that usually occurs from tire changes without using the supplied wheel supports that screw into the hub and allow the wheel to slide straight out and go back on without touching the rotor...damage to the rotor rim usually calls for replacement...get your dealer to look at it...

I agree with GT3 Chuck....it's important to remember to use the wheel supports when removing the wheels as well as re-applying them
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The tech manual says that any cracks or chip on the rim call for replacement of the rotor. Chips there can be caused by road debris - gravel for example, or someone who dinged it while changing a wheel as Chuck said. You need a new rotor and they are very pricey. Maybe an insurance claim if road damage can be reasonably shown?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 PM
PoorBobbie
Intermediate

thanks for the input, i guess i'll bite the bullet. YIPES!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Bobbie, you can also contemplate replacing ALL the rotors with steel ones for less money than a single PCCB. Many have done this already, especially those that track their cars.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Bobbie, you can also contemplate replacing ALL the rotors with steel ones for less money than a single PCCB. Many have done this already, especially those that track their cars.
This is a rare case. I'd like to see a photo or two. I've pulled a lot of debris including gravel out of the calipers and not seen the ceramics suffer or deteriorate. The only thing I saw was high rear temps. Is this also visible on a rear rotor?

The Porsche driving school runs CCBs on their student cars -- six cars and zero rotor issues (track only cars) and the give track (Barber) has "kitty litter" run-offs, so debris and rotor impact is a given.

I suspect something more like a bozo factor. They have more trouble with the steel rotors and trying to run the pads down to 80% worn (inducing heat soak at the caliper piston.)

I'm curious to see a set of detailed, high res photos if possible, please.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys who raced with PCCB and had an "off" into the gravel trap had to replace damaged ceramic rotors. Could it happen on a gravel road I wonder?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys who raced with PCCB and had an "off" into the gravel trap had to replace damaged ceramic rotors. Could it happen on a gravel road I wonder?
Around the SF Bay Area -- paying huge taxes -- I think the local roads are far more dangerous and damaging than the track.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Porsche driving school runs CCBs on their student cars -- six cars and zero rotor issues (track only cars) and the give track (Barber) has "kitty litter" run-offs, so debris and rotor impact is a given.

Actually you only get a few laps in the Carrera S with PCCB's. All your time is spent in the non-S Carrera which has steel rotors.

There has been so many issues I have seen 1st hand and then read on various forums about PCCB's I am scared of them! My track friend has them on his 997S and he tracks the car and went through a set of rotors qucikly and it cost over $10,000 just for the rotors! YIKES!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Actually you only get a few laps in the Carrera S with PCCB's. All your time is spent in the non-S Carrera which has steel rotors.

There has been so many issues I have seen 1st hand and then read on various forums about PCCB's I am scared of them! My track friend has them on his 997S and he tracks the car and went through a set of rotors qucikly and it cost over $10,000 just for the rotors! YIKES!
I didn't mean to steer anyone of track, but depending upon the class (and the weather) you spend a full day in and out of the S's, but they don't have ten cars, so it's potentially only two full sessions (which should amount to ten or fifteen laps per session.) I was impressed to see that they even had the ceramics (but they're clearly needed for the extra oomph and heft of the S in full time track driving.)

As for the cost of ceramics, no question they're wildly expensive, but I've not heard of too many failing from mechanical issues -- everything seems heat related and let's not open that can of opinion worms. : )

I ran CCBs on the track for a short while and would have gone to steel (which I did in the next car) but now I'm a little more confident in them. I imagine if I had to replace a $4000 rotor, I'd probably be a tad less bullish. But my main point was that I don't see the failures as being frequent or likely.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of the stock 997 GT3 rotors, calipers, pads, front uprights with hubs and bearings, and front caliper bolts for sale. They have 5K easy miles with no track use.

Anybody interested?
Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I have a set of the stock 997 GT3 rotors, calipers, pads, front uprights with hubs and bearings, and front caliper bolts for sale. They have 5K easy miles with no track use.

Anybody interested?
You have all four corners on offer or just the fronts? Steels or ceramics? I take it "stock" means steel.

A picture is worth ...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

ps. If you include the steering rack and carrier assemblies, I could retrofit it to a 993 ... : )

Quick Reply: Chipped PCCB Rotor