Which track tires - Hoosier R6 vs. Toyo 888s

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

rad, I've had good experience with the Kumho but not yet tried on the porsche- having been through about 6 or 7 sets of them- I've only had one tire go bad prematurely.

speed of light- about the R6 vs mpsc or other street tire- the real key is the suspension. without modifying your suspension to maximize their grip you can't really gain as much as you'd think. the r6 works best with a really stiff suspension (relative to a stock street car)- in a GT3 or an RS you will overpower the front springs quite routinely when you're cornering on hoosiers.

if your car is bone stock or mild alignment changes, the most you can really get is .5-1 seconds a mile per lap. if however, you have motons, etc and agressive springs and sway bars- the tire will reward you with another few tenths per mile.

in regards to tires mentioned- the fastest "street tire" is the MPSC with no shoulder groove.

I'd rank the street tires thusly in terms of lap time potential

MPSC no outside groove
Pirelli Corsa
MPSC groove
Shaved Nitto/Shaved Toyo
Full tread toyo/nitto
PS2
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:10 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadsleeper
03-Turbo911 - Not even... our unwritten guidelines around here keep semi-slick equipped GT3s at 70 kph or less in torrential downpour conditions (i.e., standing water on the highway) during drives. We've had several P-cars spin-out at speeds of 100 kph or less because of standing water (and most likely a good dosage of oil mixed in).

iLLM3 - Interesting, thanks. Have you tried the Pirellis?

C.J. Ichiban - Agreed. We have a support van from our local shop that comes with us once in a while, but it's a hard deal to wrangle if the guy isn't feeling up to spending a day at the track. Nice if he does though, we pack the van to the gills with spare lips, wheels, brake pads, etc.

speedoflight - I'm curious about this too. Does anyone have timing or telemetry data they can share with us with and without the Hoosiers?
Never tried any pirellis, sizing for my GT2 makes it a little difficult, although I think the 335's now might not be so necessary so will try out some 315's.. I ran 315 with the cups and man, those tires just gave no confidence, slippery as hell, I hated the grip levels!

R888's were great, took a while to get use to the feeling as it makes the car feel a bit wallowy and like it has body roll, but it doesn't hah... Every tire has bit of a learning curve and difference in feel, I loved the precision of the cup, but the grip of the R888's are immense, no traction issues at full throttle coming out of any tight turns and so on and my car is heavily modded!

R6's are best of both worlds to me and why I choose them for an all out track tire, great response and feel, especially grip, I couldn't ask for more in a tire.

People are asking about time differences between the two? Unfortunately drivers , suspension setups, cars, course length all are variables, for the most part though, on a decent size course 2-3 seconds!

R888's aren't that bad in the rain either
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
MPSC no outside groove
Pirelli Corsa
MPSC groove
Shaved Nitto/Shaved Toyo
Full tread toyo/nitto
PS2
I agree. Indeed the fastest track tire you can drive on to the track is the track-spec MPSC (no outside groove).

I never tried the Corsa. There are two Corsa tires, the System tires (OEM on GT3/GT3RS, 360CS, Gallardo), they are slower compared to the track-spec Corsa.

Any tire faster than the track-spec MPSC needs a spare set of wheels, a trailer, etc.

My list would look like this:

MPSC
Pirelli Corsa
R888
Shaved RA-1
OEM MPSC
Pirelli Corsa System
NT-01
Full tread RA-1
PS2

Unfortunately, there are 4 street tires (not race tires) that are faster than PS2, but they don't make 7GT3 sizes yet. They're the Falken Azenis Rt-615, Dunlop Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone RE-01R and Kumho XS.
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:53 PM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the some N0 Pirelli Corsa System's this weekend against some Hoosier R6's at about 60 degrees air temp, 45 minutes between the two runs. Neither set previously had a real heat cycle other than from tire rack.

1:26.3 on the N0 Pirelli Corsa System (OEM on the GT3, but not the exact set that came with the car)
1:24.1 on Hoosier R6 (315 vs 305 on the Pirelli's due to lack of availablility of a 305x35x19)

While we were playing with tires on cars the same day.
1.8l Miata, mostly stock on Azenis RT-615's vs Shaved Toyo RA1's, 5 full seconds (not me behind the wheel on this one though)
Old 11-18-2008 | 12:46 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bit the bullet and ordered the R6s, my track session is next weekend so I'll let everyone know what I think of them after. I'm going to follow the Tire Rack's heat cycling tips... any other tips guys who've run this tire before want to throw in?

Also, slightly OT, I'm planning on mounting them on Volk TE37s, anyone have anything good or bad to say about these rims?

iLLM3 - You should try the Pirellis, they were great on my local track. A plus point was that I had no pucker moments on the drive back in what was basically Noah's Flood: The Redux.
Old 11-18-2008 | 01:42 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

I bit the bullet and ordered the R6s, my track session is next weekend so I'll let everyone know what I think of them after. I'm going to follow the Tire Rack's heat cycling tips... any other tips guys who've run this tire before want to throw in?

Also, slightly OT, I'm planning on mounting them on Volk TE37s, anyone have anything good or bad to say about these rims?

iLLM3 - You should try the Pirellis, they were great on my local track. A plus point was that I had no pucker moments on the drive back in what was basically Noah's Flood: The Redux.
Can you send me a link to the exact tire online somewhere? Would love to check out the sizing

Martin
Old 11-18-2008 | 03:50 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

No problemo, here you go: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Corsa

Also, here's a link to the Corsa Systems: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o+Corsa+System

The tread pattern on the Systems look much less agressive in comparison to the Corsas though...
Old 11-18-2008 | 09:36 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, slightly OT, I'm planning on mounting them on Volk TE37s, anyone have anything good or bad to say about these rims?.
- make sure you either use HVAC tape over the stick-on wheel weights or use the clip on weights on the inside rim edge for balancing
- i have tried both
- both work perfectly
- if you do not use either of the above, the stick-on wheel weights will likely fly-off
- if your shop doesn't carry the hvac tape, just goto your local Home-Depot type store and buy it (it is silver metalic and only costs a few bucks)
- as you have the volks (they have an inside lip) and therefore you can use the older style metal clip on wieghts
Old 11-18-2008 | 01:28 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

No problemo, here you go: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Corsa

Also, here's a link to the Corsa Systems: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....o+Corsa+System

The tread pattern on the Systems look much less agressive in comparison to the Corsas though...
Closeouts pretty cheap, maybe i'll try them out, thanks! Unfortunately it wont be on the track as winter has set in here in the NE
Old 11-18-2008 | 01:37 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 19" Volk TE37's mounted with the Corsa System. My 19" R6's will not work on them as offsets are not as needed. Corsa's have been working great on the track but no comparison to the R6's. No problems with wheel weights. 235/35ZR19, 305/30ZR19, R6's use 315's.
Old 11-18-2008 | 03:12 PM
roadsleeper
Racer

997gt3north - Thanks for the input. Is HVAC tape the same as duct tape?

iLLM3 - Yeah... not so sure the Corsas like the cold all that much... But definitely when it's warmer out!

BlackRain - Excellent, I need to ask you what dimensions your wheels are if you would be so kind.

I'm planning on getting the 19" Volks TE37s with these specs:
Front: width - 8.5; offset - 51mm
Rear: width - 12.0; offset - 65mm

Hoosier R6s:
I was thinking of doing 245 front and 315 rear, were these too wide for your Volks?
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:14 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

roadsleeper -My Volks are same as your spec's, 235's rub the plastic lining already. Turn one at TWS is the culprit. the 315's will hit the wheel fenders even without the spacers. thats why I run the R6's on the stock oem rims and put the Corsa's on the Volks
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:18 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

997gt3north - Thanks for the input. Is HVAC tape the same as duct tape?
No, HVAC tape is not the same as duct tape. It's a metallic tape that is intended specifically for use in higher heat areas. Any home improvement or hardware store should have it. And in fact most performance shops that do tire mounting and balancing have it as well.
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:20 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Roadsleeper - HVAC tape is not the same as duct tape. It is made of thin aluminum and very sticky. I'm not sure it is known as HVAC tape, I've seen similar stuff called muffler tape too. Unlike duct tape which is fabric based. Any decent wheel and tire shop will use it to make sure stick on weights do not fly off.

The Corsa System is one of two OEM 19 inch tires for the 997 GT3 and RS. They work very well but they are not in the same league as the R6.

I run the R6 245 315 but on Fikse wheels in 18 inches with no rubbing issues except a minor rub at full lock when backing up in the paddock.

Best,
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:28 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Keep in mind that the 18" Hoosiers come in both 245/35 and 245/40. I prefer the 35's, but there may be other opinions . . .

Quick Reply: Which track tires - Hoosier R6 vs. Toyo 888s