Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Willow lap time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dagor6
That's pretty baffling to me about the times. I've never been on that track in a car but it's basically universally understood there that cars are always faster, especially having so much grip on the long sweepers and no lean angle to contend with.

For example, the track record for a bike is 1:19. Lots of cars in the 1:05 to 1:10 to 1:15 range iirc? 1:05 being the old formula types?

Stock bikes are able to turn that track at 1:24 with mirrors on them (right rider of course) and anything with under 10K in mods can easily turn 1:22's with the right rider.

Very strange and illuminating, I wonder why that is.

Because of it's long straights and long sweeping turns Willow favors high speed cars and bikes. Now take the same cars and bikes to Buttowillow and you'll see different results...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen Vipers all the time at Willow there not faster than any other cars. In a SCCA race I saw an old
02 Z06 beat a new 06 viper driven by a guy who has new factory vipers trucked to the track and he flew in and raced them. 18 wheelers with brand new viper with a spare. He got beat by a guy with an old C class camper who pulled the Z06 behind them in a tiny trailer with his dog and his beer.
My point is I would love to see you run your viper there, because that would mean you and me were at the track, but I have seen all kinds of cars run at willow ( I live 40 miles away) and the vipers dont stand out.
Ferraris, Porsches, Z06's vintage race cars, Vipers they are all fast

Quick Reply: Willow lap time?