Info & help request

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

it's not hard to get a gt3 from any dealer if you go on the list in multiple places.

best way to get one that hasn't been mentioned yet-

Call Porsche North America about 8 months before you want to take delivery. make a contact, and they will slot you with a dealer and force it to go through at msrp.

you're welcome!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:32 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Call Porsche North America about 8 months before you want to take delivery. make a contact, and they will slot you with a dealer and force it to go through at msrp.
I tried that last time a year and a half ago. I think she transferred my to the wrong group. Because when the Dealer called He said "Mr Guggenbuehl your'e spec'ed out GTI is here!" I thought it as an RS
Oh well how many people get to special order Volkswagens?!!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

the R32 has a cool transmission!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:01 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dudes up here have done it, been thru it, know the deal. unless you have the stomach to watch your beloved car lose value from MSRP, or potentially MSRP + Premium, to a much lower figure...and have the patience to wait the 2 years plus maybe 5 to 12 months as they build and ship your car, IF, IF you can get near to the front of a dealers allocation list.....then sure go for it.

horror stories with dealers and allocations and last minute "issues" are abundant though many are honorable. you're better off just waiting till you're ready and then seeing what the market is...or have another 5 months of patiences and perhaps the Gt3s of that year are at or perhaps below msrp. it took 2 years but the 997 GT3s are now below sticker.

All modern day sports cars depreciate like a mo fo at some point. best bet, wait a bit longer for the current 997 GT3 to bottom out. infact, your 2 year time frame might be perfect. new ones come out, dudes fly to the new one,you buy a 997GT3 probably at the bottom of the inverted bell depreciation curve.

And, i personally think the 997 GT3 will end up being more beloved than its successor. call me crazy, i just have that feeling the new stuff will be a bit too refined. or not built at all due to economic woes throughout the world.

Originally Posted by cello
Hi guys: Seriously thinking about a GT3 for my next car. Time horizon is just about two years. My question is how to go about it best. Before I go to a dealer for info I thought I'd ask guys that have gone thru the process. I've heard/been told the car is allocated to dealers here (States) - Can any Dealer place an order for one? Do i hurt my chances of getting one by using a particular dealer over another? How much in advance should I put the deposit down/order in? As there really is not much info on how to buy one of these (at least that I could find on the net), any other advise/recs/experiences/etc. - any input - is welcome (as I am not sure my experiences in buying my 997 are relevant). Thx a lot in advance!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

997gt3 is a much better overall car than the 996gt3, especially on the street due to the softer suspension setting. the hard setting is just as hard or harder than stock 996gt3. the body shell is stiffer too. 996gt3 has a benefit- it's much cheaper...well it feels a lot cheaper too!

if you want a new one- I would suggest putting 500-1000 bucks down at a few dealerships. some will screw you over like has been said, but someone will sell you a car at sticker (do the euro delivery!!!)

otherwise, pick up a 2007 gt3RS in 2010 for a great price.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
And, i personally think the 997 GT3 will end up being more beloved than its successor. call me crazy, i just have that feeling the new stuff will be a bit too refined. or not built at all due to economic woes throughout the world.
Couldn't agree more. There is a good chance that some new car programs will get delayed or cancelled due to deteriorating world economies. I also bet the new car will be heavier and will have more electronic "aides".
Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

CJ - thanks ;-)
Old Guy - thanks too ;-)

All - Thx again for the info. While no sane person wants to p*ss $ away, i do not care about the depreciation issue too much as I will use the car. That said, I don't like being taken or lied too esp by car dealerships and that is partly why I am here and learning (again, thx). Also, the comments re the 997GT3 hit home as I know the car (whereas the next gen is unknown). Going the deposit route with a few known Dealerships (thru friends' contacts, etc) while hedging the bet by watching the future & present 997GT3 markets may work best. The economy is a factor but, call me a pragmatic optimist, this too will pass [have to watch the $ tho ;-)] and possibly w/in my time window (which may not be such a good thing $wise).

Good thoughts and tips here - I appreciate your help!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Going the deposit route with a few known Dealerships (thru friends' contacts, etc) while hedging the bet by watching the future & present 997GT3 markets may work best.
Smart guy! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Info & help request