Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Info & help request

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Info & help request

Hi guys: Seriously thinking about a GT3 for my next car. Time horizon is just about two years. My question is how to go about it best. Before I go to a dealer for info I thought I'd ask guys that have gone thru the process. I've heard/been told the car is allocated to dealers here (States) - Can any Dealer place an order for one? Do i hurt my chances of getting one by using a particular dealer over another? How much in advance should I put the deposit down/order in? As there really is not much info on how to buy one of these (at least that I could find on the net), any other advise/recs/experiences/etc. - any input - is welcome (as I am not sure my experiences in buying my 997 are relevant). Thx a lot in advance!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, wait until you are about 1-2 months away from being ready to purchase and then do your research. 2 years out is just way to far - so much can change in that amount of time. Today, I'd suggest you grab one of the many ever-so-slightly-used GT3s that are on the market within the next 6-12 months. The market is down and dropping...
Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Ron - Thank you for the reply; I hear you. I am just looking to prime the knowledge pump a little. To clarify, I would like to possess the car in the stated time frame, so the ordering process/wait would be included. Just wanted some general information from the initiated on how it generally works when ordering an allocated model. Re used, my Accountant would rather me lease first [we will see if that is an even an option, speaking of the economy ;-)] for business/tax reasons: However, it is my $ ;-). Any info welcomed. Thx!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Are u buying next gen gt3 or used? I guess at 1-2 year span u know how the new gt3 with new motor will pan out. Mike
Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Are u buying next gen gt3 or used? I guess at 1-2 year span u know how the new gt3 with new motor will pan out. Mike
Thinking new (partly for that reason). I know we don't have a lot of info on the car yet. Don't expect you guys to be prescient. Right now I am really looking for general info on the ordering-buying/dealership experience so I can avoid any pitfalls, mistakes, etc. It has always been a relatively rare car so your experiences will help. Will ask ?s about the next gen later, I promise :-). Thx!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:47 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I know Mooty will get one and his insites/opinion is no BS. So ask him when the time comes. But don't ask him bout his driving skills : ). Jk- he's consistent lap to lap. Mike
Old 10-25-2008, 01:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

RIght now having had 2 GT3s I would wait and buy one used. By the time you are ready the 997 MkII
will be available used. You have too much time and too many options to even try to nail down anything now. Here is what I can tell you. The 996 and 997 are so good you cant go wrong with any of them. I dont know what the 996 market is but the 997 market has dropped considerably in the last 8 weeks(I just sold one) and the 996s were running 50K less than a GT3. if you havent had one or driven one the 996 is just BANG for your buck right now.
But like I said-two years is two much time to nail anything down. You may have a whole year of 997 GT3 MkII being released and maybe a couple months of 997 MkII RS being on the market.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Although I haven't gone through the process myself on a new Porsche, what I've heard makes sense. I'll try to separate speculation from fact.

With the 997 GT3 and RS there were people who bought new and paid MSRP. I'm guessing the overwhelming majority of these people had deposits from a while back in order to get this deal. Those that didn't and even some of those people who did have deposits had to pay market adjustments ranging reasonable with the GT3 and ridiculous with the RS.

My feeling is that with the ridiculous RS market, it will be more difficult than previously to get a dealer to agree to msrp on a new RS, (read almost not possible). I may be wrong about this. However, it should be possible to get the next GT3 for MSRP. Heck I read about one guy who bought a new 997 GT3 for a discount (the now old one).

So get on a list, get an agreement in writing that your deposit is for a car sold at MSRP. Maybe do this at multiple dealerships assuming that the deposit is refundable (it either always is or perhaps has to be, I'm not sure). Where you are on the list, whether that number is actually used by the dealer (they don't just call who they like), and the number of allocations the dealer gets will all be variables worth considering. I believe you can order a car from any dealer as long as they have an allocation for you. Some given amount of time before the allocation comes up you'll choose options etc. Good luck.

Edit: I agree with the above about getting a used car. If you are ready to buy in a year, not two, you could get a new 997 GT3 mk II for probably MSRP, otherwise there's this icky region after all the allocations are gone and before the car depreciates that you would have to pay a premium which is a waste imho. So either do the homework to prepare yourself to try to get an agreement on ordering a new one, or buy a used 996 or 997 mkI gt3 for a really good deal.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting on the list only works with a dealer with whom you have a relationship. the friends of the family will always get first pick. So, talk with the guys where you purchased your other porsches. By the way, you can lease CPO cars and there are more out there every day.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I know Mooty will get one and his insites/opinion is no BS. So ask him when the time comes. But don't ask him bout his driving skills : ). Jk- he's consistent lap to lap. Mike
i dont think i will get one, unless you get one first.

your best bet is talk with whom you bought your previous porsches from. and get a contract signed by management stating MSRP. most dealer won't commit to it this early though.

i think the 997GT3 mk1 mkt is slightly below msrp in CA right now. good buys.
996gt3 is bargain of the decade at 65-70k
997GT3 RS mkt is still strong. low mileage car are right about MSRP (used to be 25-50k over).
Old 10-25-2008, 05:37 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions.

I would like a 997 GT3 preferably. My dealer, while comprised of great individuals, prob cannot deliver a spot presently. They have planned a FL (for the Dealership) which may (is supposed to) buy them favor with the powers that be, etc., hence in part the time frame set out. I will try them first as suggested. There are a few other Dealerships in the area I will contact as well (understanding the relationship thing).

Where does one find the mk1 models that are available? Is there an easier route then searching every dealership under Porsche usa.com/'find a dealer' ?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The world may be a very different place 2 years from now given the financial crisis we now find ourselves in, i.e. with respect to the financial wherewithal of consumers, financing, pricing, etc. As such, the demand for high end sports cars may or not follow past trends.

As such, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to get your hands on the next gen of GT3's. There will be more willing supply than demand. But take this for what it's worth...less than the proverbial 2 cents.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

if your referring cello the 6gt3 model autotrader or rl classifieds- ride is abit jarring at the street but oh so good at the track. In 1-2 yrs- 6gt3 pricewise would be the best bang fir your buck if the track is in your equation- even now pricewise not too bad. Mike
Old 10-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 515 Posts

If you are in southern NJ, try Schneider and Nelson in Long Branch http://porsche.schneidernelson.com/. I had never purchased a new car before so I had absolutely no history with them. I was No 3 on the list for an RS and they only got 2 so they switched me to a standard GT3 at MSRP which delivered a year later. Your dealer won't know about his exact allocations until the car is launched and then only for the then current model year

I paid $500 refundable deposit, which increased to $2,500 as I finalized the options and the car launched production. It was one of the first GT3s with European factory delivery and I drove it there for 6 months. This was a very good experience for me. I get to drive it again tomorrow - weather permitting.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cello
Where does one find the mk1 models that are available?
If you are looking for a used one at a dealership, the pre-owned search on the Porsche website is the best place to find one. (http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/search/) A lot of these cars are also listed on ebay, which is another good source that obviously also includes the private party cars.

As for new mk1 GT3s, there are none left as far as I know. There was one at Manhattan Motorcars a while back that they wanted like a bajillion dollars for, but I don't see it on their site anymore.

Quick Reply: Info & help request