Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche needs a reboot

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:37 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Porsche needs a reboot

Things are wild and crazy with the world economy. Porsche is gobbling up VW. Its own cars are not selling. Personally, I find only the GT3 variants attractive. Porsche needs a "reboot" to rediscover its own roots. I would like to see a smaller car closer to the 993 without all of the junk.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the chance to drive the new PDK 997 at a Porsche Cars Canada event. Drove the car in an autocross, drag race 0-60 with proper measurement, 60-0 braking test and driven around a runway roadcourse.

All I can say is to go out and drive the new cars, they are spectacular. The new PDK gearbox is really inspiring; I can't see how a human with a manual can touch a PDK car on a racetrack, given the same basic car is used. It's that good.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure the PDK is great. We may find the Panamera to be great, too. But, we need a basic car. With economic conditions as they are, Porsche will have to reinvent. Remember the 964? Remember the BMW 2002? Would you like a basic 911 that screams without all of the marketing bells and whistles? They shouldn't send us down to a Boxster to accomplish this goal.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dertub I agree with out 1000%. This last month is the first time I have been Porscheless for years!!!
but there is nothing that grabs me, right now and especially not the Panamera. I cant sit in a 911 until after my back surgery in Dec but nothing else in the line speaks to me. I have a 06 BMW X5 4.8is and there is not any Cayenne model that induces me to change. THe AMG ML kinda has me interested but a former X5 4.8is owner tells me that the BMW is better than his AMG ML.
So where do we go from here?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default reboot

Agreed; and Porsche could build one that's super exciting. Something that's basic, light, fuel efficient, and fast.

They could call it the 357.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rinty that would be a great one. Lotus does it!!

BTW I saw a 356 on barret jackson on Thurs go for 30K and it was restored to the hilt!!! I would expect it to have gone for twice that for for an opening bid!!
Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

The Cayman comes to mind.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree, the Porsche models have needed to go on a diet for a long time now. Too much stufffff that has nothing to do with performance.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche reboot

I saw a 356 on Barrett Jackson....OldGuy
They're going to be hurting there for a while, I think. There should be some great deals, and in energy stocks.

But I'm still waiting for things to bottom out before I start buying (stocks).
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I think it's almost PURELY a weight thing. This thread mentions in a general fashion that Porsche needs a new product, something smaller. However, the products that they have now are actually pretty damn good as the second poster mentions. They make more power, are more efficient, and handle better with each incarnation. In exterior dimensions they have hardly grown as well compared to other marques. My 930 is around 170 inches long and a new gt3 rs is 177 inches. With greater aerodynamics due to the stretched shape of the overhangs this is completely acceptable.

Just make the current cars lighter and it seems like we'd have the cars we'd like to see Porsche make, especially the cayman if you want something a touch more basic than the current 911. Imagine an aluminum chassis and a weight conscious look at each component added bringing you 10% lighter cars. A 2800 pound 911 and a Cayman that weighs 2675 pounds. If they did that I'd have no more complaints.

I agree that a clubsport basic 911 without any gadgets would be an awesome car, but many of its potential buys already bought caymans. Right now if you want a real driver's Porsche it goes Cayman S, Carrera S with whatever current sports package gets you an lsd, GT3, GT2. A basic 911 might be too close to the first two options.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:27 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I love the 911 clubsport idea but the problem is Porsche cant charge $165K for it. They need one slotted just above the Cayman S.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Exactly. If I were Porsche I'd make the Clubsport a variant of the Carrera S, a Carrera CS if you will. 80-90k, LSD, sport tuned and lowered pasm (I think it would be too much to ask for a real race shock since the GT cars still have sport pasm setups), basic two speaker sound system, fixed wing, no center console, basic climate control, etc. More aluminum body panels. Lightweight seats standard, no sound deadening.

However, although it seems like you could just take stuff out and get what you want, it does involve a redesign of many components which add to cost and you get you closer to a GT3. From this standpoint it makes more sense to have a Cayman CS and a more pure version of a GT3. And why do we have an RS and a GT3 when they are the same thing? So people can speculate on the RS because it's a "collectors item" ? That makes no sense to me. How about a Cayman CS, a Carrera CS (better than the one described above since there's no more GT3), and the almighty GT3 RS. Make plenty of each so they will sell at MSRPs of 75, 95, and 125 respectively. 345hp/400hp/450hp respectively from a 3.6/3.8/high revving racy 3.8 or 4.0.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Keith you know why they had all the other models the GT3 RS etc. $$$$$ there was so much money around that Porsche could make any decision and us hardcore guys could see it but the huddled masses just bought it up. THe bought a ton of Cayennes with V6s too. AND the dealers were good at messing with numbers like leasing to Cayenne lessors who wouldnt normally buy a Porsche, inflating the numbers and making Porsche the most profitable car maker in the worlds.
NOW not only Porsche but alot of companies like Ferrari are going to have make sure every model is correctly situation for the market. 2 years ago we had guys buying Porsches and RS's just to have it for a year and sell it just for the helluvit. I dont think thats gonna happen half as much as before. Porsche is better setup for this that other carmakers with only 3 models currently. Boxster/Cayman 911 and Cayenne, with the panamera on the way.
I dont think $200K GT2s are going to be selling for 56k market corrections next year.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

I can see why you're considering a 996 GT3 after you get your back fixed. Simple car, good price now, no BS. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:41 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Keith thanks for keeping up! I didnt know anybody pays attention!!

Yea back surgery 3 dec.

Quick Reply: Porsche needs a reboot