Addict
Rennlist Member

Not possible. Teh GTR iz teh suXXor
Old 10-17-2008 | 11:00 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by eclou
Not possible. Teh GTR iz teh suXXor
You have to realize, on that site, there are many people who sees the Cayman as the BEST car on earth. I have seen many posts of this nature:
(1) My Cayman S just beat a GT3 RS and a GT2 on track.
(2) You just traded a Cayman S for a Carrera GT? Why do you trade down? My condolences.
(3) I could have bought a Stradale Challenge any time, but the Cayman S is a much better car.
(4) Vic Elford takes a Cayman S over any Porsche ever produced.

You get the picture. It reminds me of a thread I read on a Kia forum. The poster swore that his Kia beat a 996TT in a street challenge (started by the Porsche BTW). I guess things like this do happen.

CP

Last edited by CP; 10-17-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2008 | 11:06 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

CP I don't think that is what they are saying over there. What they are saying IMHO is that the GTR is not so bad a$$ that a good driver in a modified car can't keep up with it or even go faster than it on that course. Would you think that Sara Palin driving the GTR could be Michael Schumacher driving the Cayman? It also looks like both a Corvette Z06 driver and a 944 Turbo driver verified the results so it isn't some Kia kid blindly bragging about his hopped up ride.
Old 10-17-2008 | 12:30 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 928Buyer
CP I don't think that is what they are saying over there. What they are saying IMHO is that the GTR is not so bad a$$ that a good driver in a modified car can't keep up with it or even go faster than it on that course. Would you think that Sara Palin driving the GTR could be Michael Schumacher driving the Cayman? It also looks like both a Corvette Z06 driver and a 944 Turbo driver verified the results so it isn't some Kia kid blindly bragging about his hopped up ride.
I posted this link because Paul is not 'fond' of the GTR, and this linked thread affirms his believe.

I of course understands the issue with driver's skills. Hence it is possible for a Kia to beat a 996tt. For all I know, if the tt driver stalled the car upon launch, then the Kia wins. It certainly could happen. But that does not measure the typical performance of the cars involved. Thus on that particular day, with those particular drivers, a Cayman S hang well with a GTR.

This is a personal experience. I was in Laguna Seca (visiting) and a 996TT red-group (one below instructor) driver (he is a good friend) told me he came in second on lap time (DE, not a race). The top lap time? A regular Miata. One can imagine a similar thread of this nature on the Miata board about taming a 996tt at Lagune Seca.

However, I read the other forum extensively (I have a Cayman) and what I observed (the conviction that the Cayman S is faster, prettier, more desirable than all other cars) is true, at least IMHO. I actually had PMs there asking if my Ruf can hang with my Cayman.

CP

Last edited by CP; 10-18-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2008 | 03:32 PM
928Buyer
Advanced

Ah ok I misunderstood your post a little bit then and I concur just like this or any other website there will always be some fanboys who bleed whatever make/model is at hand. If your RUF cannot best your Cayman you better send it back to RUF. I like what RUF does, usually good stuff, have you thought about the RUF conversion Cayman for your Cayman?
Old 10-17-2008 | 06:05 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 928Buyer
I like what RUF does, usually good stuff, have you thought about the RUF conversion Cayman for your Cayman?
I did think about that. But I am actually saving my coins for this (if the economy ever turn-around):
http://www.supercars.net/cars/3683.html

That is a 993GT2 meets a 997 GT3. Two of my all time favorite cars.

CP
Old 10-17-2008 | 11:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

my cayman s is faster than my GT3...

NOT
Old 10-18-2008 | 01:34 AM
Carefree
Pro

Mooty, it blows me away when Andy Chenoweth and his sweet Cayman S (white, damn him) runs in the advance group and all but the straights, stays right with me. I really appreciate his driving skills and his "set up" but I believe there should be a larger gap on lap times, however there is not. Smooth is fast and the Cayman is no slouch.
The GT2's that run here, well I curse them and their turbo's. All drivers equal, the GT2 is the BOMB.
Dollar for dollar, the Cayman S (set up) really is a great track car.
Old 10-18-2008 | 01:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great Pong. Did the GTR complete a lap before:
the warranty wore out OR
the Trannmission fell out?
Old 10-18-2008 | 02:45 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
my cayman s is faster than my GT3...

NOT
Mooty,

You scared me. But I read many of Ken's track-related posts, and his yellow Caymen S is faster than M3s, Z06s, Carreras, GT3, Loti, R8, etc. etc. etc.

It might be true if I was driving those cars.

CP
Old 10-18-2008 | 10:20 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Mooty,

You scared me. But I read many of Ken's track-related posts, and his yellow Caymen S is faster than M3s, Z06s, Carreras, GT3, Loti, R8, etc. etc. etc.

It might be true if I was driving those cars.

CP

he is a good driver with a well set-up car that he has had alot of seat time in. Probably can extract a very high % of performance out of it compared to those other car/driver combos.
Old 10-18-2008 | 11:19 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I was faster around Barber in my lowered 987S than quite a few 996/997 Carreras, then I got blown away by a heavily modded and well driven 350Z.

Not sure I get this thread, but the whole "my P-car is bigger than X" thing is growing old.
Old 10-18-2008 | 12:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

carefree, I know andy c. We had long talk b4 he bot gt and another b4 his cay. At the time I was one of few with real data in the new chassis.

Ken at caymanclub is good driver. And his car is FAR from stock.

My cay is stock except moton and ra1. Safety mods add no power I don't count. My 6gt3 also same mod on r888 so fair comparison.

At LS ( u need power there) Gt=140-141, cay=144 (b4 repabing and I got 50 days more experience since. I bet I can do 143 now or even 142)

TH need power. Gt= 201 cay=205 before rwpaving and again I got more Exp now

Sears technical track other than one long straight. GT=151-152 cay=154

So u can see the difference is there not small but not huge either.
I don't push GT as hard as cay as GT cost more to ball up. So in theory time diff should be smaller. BUT GT time were from this year while cay from 2006. I would like to think that with new paving on two trk and
More seat time I'm faster in cay now. Taking these in consideration, the time gap is consistent.

I'll have 171mph chime in soon
He's faster than me, also had both platform. We can see his gap time.

Finally cay is shortchanged with a subpar motor and rear suspension
If andy had a 400 up gt3 motor and multi link rear, I think u will b looking at his *** all day.

I know that as soon as they fixed those two points on cay, I'll dump my remaining gt3's way below mkt on RL.

Sorry pong and OG for OT.
But I think this is more objective and interesting for porachulephiles
Than GTR/JDM

Final thought. I had two WC & USTCC drivers drive gtr. They fought chassis is stiffer than RS. It felt as nimble as e36m3 ( which is very nimble). I'm not gtr proponent just providing a data pt. They r both Porsche guys and concur in its fugliness and cheap plastics.

Whew all this on iPhone. I'm dedicated
Old 10-18-2008 | 09:48 PM
171mph
Racer

i still have my cayman s but now my DD. i bought the gt3 specifically because the cayman was not a reliable track car for me - spent most of last year in the shop - 3 or 4 power steering pumps. i love the balance and hope one day to get a reliable one that i can mash at the track. of course others have diff experience - joel is having tremendous success in PCA racing cayman so maybe he has it sorted out properly. i just got tired of all the high maintenance so got the 6gt3. i still go to cayman club (bob) because i like the car so much in general i want to keep up on any news.

as for times with both cars on mpsc:

Thill - gt3 1:59.6 (after repave) cayman s 2:06.4 (before repave). i think we'll soon see a cs in the 2:04s
LS - gt3 1:39.4 CS 1:43.7

mooty and i were discussing how he has faster times in the cs than me, but slighter slower ones in the gt. if he would just buy a damn traqmate already we could see where the difference lies!

cs had pss9. so all in all for me the cs is about 4-5 seconds slower on a 2 minute track

Last edited by 171mph; 10-18-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Old Guy, I Hope This Makes You Happy