Yet Another RMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by CalgaryGT3
Now I'm really confused. I've been told by many Porsche drivers to make sure the car warms up for a few minutes before driving. So, I'm about to winterize my car for 6 months (no driving!). Should I just plug in the battery saver and not bother starting her up every few weeks? Please advise. Thanks.
One other thing: Starting it once in awhile over the winter is a mistake, unless you can properly run it all the way to normal operating temp. Don't just let it idle for a couple minutes and turn it off. Cold starting causes wear on the motor and not letting it warm all the way causes moisture in the oil.

If you're not going to actually drive it, probably better not to start it at all..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
One other thing: Starting it once in awhile over the winter is a mistake, unless you can properly run it all the way to normal operating temp. Don't just let it idle for a couple minutes and turn it off. Cold starting causes wear on the motor and not letting it warm all the way causes moisture in the oil.

If you're not going to actually drive it, probably better not to start it at all..
I've heard this too. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is a data point for all. My RS now has 36K KM or about 22,000 miles. Had an RMS leak aroound 5,000 miles., Had the seal changed. new seal leaked a bit. I ignored it and kept driving the car. My RS no longer leaks. This adds a bit of credibility to the "drive the car" theory. My 996 GT3 would leaks from the RMS after winter storage - a small puddle under the car. On good weekend at the track and it stopped.

I love my RS.

Quick Reply: Yet Another RMS issue