Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Man I dont mind the car but I sure miss the forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul don't get a 993, get a Cayman S. They're damn cheap, and under warranty.

I just got one last week as a loaner while the M3 was under service. What a blast, Angeles Crest HWY, 50 miles, It made me forget the M3 and my old GT3. It is a far better car. Amazing. Of course, you have to drive it to believe.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

CJ you are going to get OG in all sorts of trouble with that firecracker...

I have to say my 993tt with the Bilstein HD's and euro M030 springs is quite a delightful ride - more cushy than my 997tt but without excessive wallowing
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Paul don't get a 993, get a Cayman S. They're damn cheap, and under warranty.

I just got one last week as a loaner while the M3 was under service. What a blast, Angeles Crest HWY, 50 miles, It made me forget the M3 and my old GT3. It is a far better car. Amazing. Of course, you have to drive it to believe.
Terrific advice. I recently sold my 2008 E92 335i. Had performance package and heated seats, nothing else. Stripper car, lightweight and simple - just the way I like 'em. Although a fantastic grocery getter, its dynamics can't hold a candle to the Boxster/Cayman. Since I don't have kids (yet) and therefore no need for the back seat, I'll be replacing it with a DFI 987 platform car.

The mid-engined Porsches (987 and Cayman) are the bargain of the century, taking into account actual transaction prices.

BerryS
Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

I've driven the cayman and really enjoyed the platform...very predictable on mountain roads. just wish it didn't have oiling and power steering pump issues on the track.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I got time to study all this. I have the AMG to play with now

I have to say I am pretty dissapointed with the shifting right now in the AMG. The lag
is more than I thought. Hardly what I thought it would be. The shift lite comes on at 2200 rpm before red line.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

paul, the shifting is adaptive the harder you drive it, the more it will reward a heavy foot. I've got chip info when you want more than the 451.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Man!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More AMG stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcD6Jzg-bRA
Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Colm
One of the great mistakes of my life was not buying yours!

On my way now. BTW the shifting in sport is WAY fun. It knows how I like to drive and it shifts almost when I think it. Manual is kinda weird but the Sport mode is just out of control fun!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I keep hearing Colm's BS at the track (the car, not the bench racing ...) and it sounds like it's in its element. It doesn't look like it should be there (too luxurious and there's that odd, religious-like star on the grill ... about the size of the Escalade ornament ...) and it doesn't add up on the specs (curb weight closer to Cayenne than Carrera) but it sure sounds the part.

In terms of enthusiast appreciation, the depreciation of the Mercedes BS is misleading because the car has a real following. It's one of the few cars that, despite its understated appearance at a glance, I've seen it stop someone on the street and have them turn around and come into the parking lot outside a restaurant just to confirm what they can't believe they're actually seeing in the metal.

But why the BS? Do the Germans even check these acronyms? I mean BS is bullsh1t and that's all there is to it and RS is rat **** (at least in Australia) and that's all there is to it. If I was lucky enough to drop a half million on an RS in Australia, I'd have to remove the decals -- it's just not okay to go around in any car with "rat ****" writ large on the flanks.

Anyway. I was at the local small town grocers recently and in the silence of the cold, wet evening air, I could hear the unmistakable approach of a hot rod Mercedes AMG BS of some sort. The driver merrily exceeding the posted 35 mph by at least 100% (in the wet ... in darkness ... not too bright ...) and then abruptly down-shifting almost ceremonially through the gears (it's basically an automatic) to the nearby stop sign. I gave it no more thought. Then suddenly the driver gave it wide open throttle. In the wet. The battle between traction and traction control sent the engine into apoplexy as it tried to build revs, bellowing and crackling in frustration like a predator too large to follow its prey into a cave. After more than enough time for the driver to relent yet persisting, apparently the car had developed enough speed for the tires to answer the challenge and the engine now that the timing had been retarded to a point in time earlier that afternoon. The roar came full force and continued to the redline (again, surely 100% over the speed limit) and then fell away as the car presumably either shot off into a ditch or the driver assumed a noise-abatement protocol as he or she approached home.

This long-winded story probably took longer to read than for me to type (or watch the Top Gear excerpt on YouTube) but it's an example of how the CLK AMG BS is a car that can please the driver every day and on every drive -- even a dull and dreary commute home in the wet on straight, flat, bland roads with stop signs.

I imagine the same thing has gone on since the birth of the muscle car. At my daughter's soccer game, I sometimes show up in the GT3. It has the third muffler by-pass, so it's a great sound as I deftly pluck 1st gear double de-clutching at 25 mph into the school driveway, but still a bit "Boxster" at idle as I trundle around looking for a parking spot where I won't get a door ding. Woos. I try to drive sedately and park quickly nonetheless. Another "dad" showed up in a Cobra one day. Four or may be six inch side-exit open exhaust. Petrol dripping on the ground. I decided I was low key. A few weeks later, another "dad" showed up in an early hard top Viper. Side exit exhausts blowing dust up into the air as the engine cracked the sky (and numerous young tympanic membranes) with each (needless) blip of the throttle before stumbling to an angry, impatient halt.

With the sound of the Mercedes still in my mind as I left the grocers, I got back in the Cayenne (Power Kit Turbo) and my "inner hoon" contemplated (once again) the entertainment value of removing the various mufflers underneath. Tempting, I must say.

For me, the best sound in the morning is still the humble 993 with motor sound package. Simple as that. My 993 with a turbo engine and TechArt muffs is always a joy (but today, those mufflers cost about the same as a whole 993 ...) The 996 GT3 with no mufflers is great -- anywhere except about 3500 rpm -- sounded just like a Le Mans car, only "affordable." The 997 GT3 with Alex's 3rd muff delete is great and even a little better with the bigger tips. I still want "more" and I think, if nothing else, MB has answered that want and it's not BS, it's the BS.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 11-03-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Adam did you get that out of Lonely Househusbands magazine??!! Well written.
I Love the 997 GT3 with the Sharky bypass best auto sound ever.

(what I am about to say must be prefaced by the fact this AMG car is fun for a guy with 2 degenerative disks one requiring fairly immediate surgery, otherwise the GT3 would still be in my garage. It never left my heart)
I have to say that even if the BS owners shout out that I am wrong AMG has really hit the "Baby BS" nail on the head, with this new AMG C63. It has the BS seats the BS sound, the BS motor the BS rear axle the BS Steering wheel the BS tranny except the C63 has the downshift blip that the BS doesnt have. The BS is more track worthy with a better suspension set up and more engine and tranny coolers but this little car is FUN to drive daliy and I have NO earthly idea why but it gets more looks than my GT3.
Now that its learned my shifting habits its really fun to drive in sport mode. Just a fun car to drive at a fun price. I am still kicking my self for not buying Colms car but it was as big a mistake as it could have been had I not bought the Black AMG C63.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Adam did you get that out of Lonely Househusbands magazine??!! Well written.
I Love the 997 GT3 with the Sharky bypass best auto sound ever.

(what I am about to say must be prefaced by the fact this AMG car is fun for a guy with 2 degenerative disks one requiring fairly immediate surgery, otherwise the GT3 would still be in my garage. It never left my heart)
I have to say that even if the BS owners shout out that I am wrong AMG has really hit the "Baby BS" nail on the head, with this new AMG C63. It has the BS seats the BS sound, the BS motor the BS rear axle the BS Steering wheel the BS tranny except the C63 has the downshift blip that the BS doesnt have. The BS is more track worthy with a better suspension set up and more engine and tranny coolers but this little car is FUN to drive daliy and I have NO earthly idea why but it gets more looks than my GT3.
Now that its learned my shifting habits its really fun to drive in sport mode. Just a fun car to drive at a fun price. I am still kicking my self for not buying Colms car but it was as big a mistake as it could have been had I not bought the Black AMG C63.

i had two leads on CLKBS. i wanted it bad. but lack of rear seat was disapproved by head of finance.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Adam did you get that out of Lonely Househusbands magazine??!!
I'm the editor. The next issue will be out when it's a rainy weekend and I miss a track day at Sears to take my three year old to the doctor. <childish resentment>Stupid kid.</resent>

: )

Quick Reply: Man I dont mind the car but I sure miss the forum