Man I dont mind the car but I sure miss the forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Man I dont mind the car but I sure miss the forum

I miss my GT3, but I am enamoured with this little AMG car. I am just getting to the break in limit and I have to admit I have punched this 460hp 440 lbs of torque more than once. But MAN talk about loss of intellect. I have searched far and wide for a forum with some content. The best one I found was MBworld.org and yesteday there was a post from a 17 year old girl talking about her daddy buying a C63 for her. This is like going from hanging around the halls of Excellence Magazine or the work bays of the Sharkwerks, and then being banished to the freshmen library at Walkers School for Girls. No content what so ever. And what makes it worse is our forum here is slowing down. Like all the big boys are bailing out and not posting any more. This went from a slow forum to a really intense forum for the last 1.5 years.
Whats funny is the cars are kind of opposite in technology the Porsche GT3 a pure drivers car with out any frills and Blue tooth is a major option, and the AMG is loaded with technology from the AMG 7 speed auto manual tranny to the 6.3 liter motor that is easily chippable to 550 HP.
And the Drivers are the opposite. The GT3 driver one of the most mechanically intellectual knowledgeable driver out there and the MB driver is least involved drivers out there. Or at least I havent found the GT3 equivalent MB driver.
There is one AMG private forum that you cant join without a VIN but posting is far and few between.
So here I take my hat off to you guys my friends my fellow GT3 pilots, you guys dont know how good you guys are, how helpful you all are and how technically advanced you are as a group.

Last edited by OldGuy; 10-04-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:08 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting perspective and I totally understand what you are saying. I went from an enthusiast BMW website (RF) for my 2000 328Ci and then 2003 M3 (which I had for 4 years) to this forum where I found similarly enlightened enthusiasts. We don't know how lucky we are until a guy like you posts something like this...
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't worry about Rennlist slowing down too much. There's a product cycle and I admit to being far more active on RL when I have a new car or more track time or whatever. And I've made a deliberate move to reduce, let's call it "non-essential" time at the computer because I have young children and this time will soon be gone for me. Sure enough, when the next GT3 and then the next RS arrive, Rennlist will be vibrant and we'll asking all the new drivers to search before posting, etc. We've seen this with the 996 GT3, the first 996's and the last 993's as RL was born. I'm sure there's a hippies folk song to be playing in the background of this post ... I need to check the YouTube "audioswap" feature before posting ... : )

ps. For me, the drought lands are the Ferrari forums ... Ferrari enthusiasts need a Rennlist!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I miss my GT3, but I am enamoured with this little AMG car. I am just getting to the break in limit and I have to admit I have punched this 460hp 440 lbs of torque more than once. But MAN talk about loss of intellect. I have searched far and wide for a forum with some content. The best one I found was MBworld.org and yesteday there was a post from a 17 year old girl talking about her daddy buying a C63 for her. This is like going from hanging around the halls of Excellence Magazine or the work bays of the Sharkwerks, and then being banished to the freshmen library at Walkers School for Girls. No content what so ever. And what makes it worse is our forum here is slowing down. Like all the big boys are bailing out and not posting any more. This went from a slow forum to a really intense forum for the last 1.5 years.
Whats funny is the cars are kind of opposite in technology the Porsche GT3 a pure drivers car with out any frills and Blue tooth is a major option, and the AMG is loaded with technology from the AMG 7 speed auto manual tranny to the 6.3 liter motor that is easily chippable to 550 HP.
And the Drivers are the opposite. The GT3 driver one of the most mechanically intellectual knowledgeable driver out there and the MB driver is least involved drivers out there. Or at least I havent found the GT3 equivalent MB driver.
There is one AMG private forum that you cant join without a VIN but posting is far and few between.
So here I take my hat off to you guys my friends my fellow GT3 pilots, you guys dont know how good you guys are, how helpful you all are and how technically advanced you are as a group.
They ain't that great, they don't appreciate the Black Series.... because it is not a Porsche!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You made me appreciate it!!! The only regret I have was not getting your car!!!

Colm Can I come up for a drive??
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul,

I feel your pain. I went through the same with multiple BMW forums, until I found a track sub-forum within M3Post.com, worth it.

When I had my two S2000, the s2ki.com forum was and is excellent.

Ferrari and Lamborghini forums are sad from the technical stand point. Most drivers don't even know aftermarket performance parts for these cars, other than cosmetics, no clue about brake pads, clutches, LSD, suspension, etc. You get answers like "why mess with perfection, Ferrari knows more than you about suspension", Totally Clueless Opinions most of the time.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

THanks Rad.
Did you find your GT2 Yet?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:47 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Paul,

the main MB forums are a bit like going back to secondary school - it is a different demographic. MBWorld is better than Benzforums but not by much. If you want to free-fall to the remedial school levels, try NAGTROC - just ask Allegretto! For general banter amongst gear heads I like corner-carvers too, but that can be a brutal crowd for newbies.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gracy-*** Gene I will try those out!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:32 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great post OG... and CarreraGT, NJ-GT & eclou's comments are spot on. I have been a Rennlister "browser" since 1998 and have noticed that the boards volume matches perfectly to the product release cycle. In addition, I second your comment that the quality of poster on RL has remained in tact over the years. This is the best forum that I know of for matching technical prowess with quanity. I really like Loren & Renntech, but they just don't generate the volume of knowledgeable posters.

Enjoy the AMG - it's a beautiful car.

-Blake; )
Old 10-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 803 Likes on 369 Posts

being banished to Walkers School for Girls.
Mmmm....sounds good to me.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so when will we see you back behind the wheel of a GT3 (back problems permitting?)
Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, it has no stick shift. what do you expect!<G>

Old 10-04-2008, 05:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

THanks Rad.
Did you find your GT2 Yet?
I decided to wait a few months (6-9 at least) given the price variance that the LP560/7GT2/F430 are going through right now.

However, I am bored and I was going to start a Cayman project, almost bought the Coxster in the last 5 days, but the discount was not enough. Somebody I won't mention is taking ownership of my Cayman budget.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried hanging out at a girls school but the police chased me away. Old guy... bring you ride down the hill to the 25 hours.

Quick Reply: Man I dont mind the car but I sure miss the forum