Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche Tequipment Roll Bar Alternative....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Porsche Tequipment Roll Bar Alternative....

Just a heads up for you guys looking to get the Porsche Tequipment 997 roll bar.... you can't anymore as we found out Anyways, I thought I'd show you the ESR bolt-in bar as an alternative that we've been using on an orange RS that we've been "fiddling" with (our bypass, screens and the usual).

It's easier to not only remove the seats but safer to remove the steering wheel too and give you as much room as possible. If you're diy'ing this yourself remember to have a second person help you "guide" it in and line the door sills with something (preferably scratch-proof!).

And here's a green one:

The ESR roll bar was designed to fit and work with the factory stock seats as well. However if you're planning on running 5-6 point harnesses then you should really use some bucket/race seats.

As stated this is just a replacement option for the Tequipment bar which we can't seem to get anymore It bolts in the same way as the Tequipment bar does and installation is pretty simple. If you're doing any sort of club-racing or semi-pro stuff you would need to get a serious cage from the likes of Tony@TC Design. This one is just for DE's and being able to use harnesses.

For more into:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=187
Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks identical to the bar GMG sells. Would it come from the same manufacturer??
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CWay27
Looks identical to the bar GMG sells. Would it come from the same manufacturer??
Hey Cway, Greg from RSS clarified it over on the other board this morning and said,

"The ESR Roll Cage is very similar to the GMG Roll Cage because in the beginning they were manufactured by the exact same fabricator. GMG had their jig, we had ours. We have been selling our cages for well over 2 years but kept the distribution local until recently.

We manufacture all of our cages in-house, we don't have them manufactured for us. We have many multiple designs of our cages including custom reinforcements similar to the RS design. All the cages being discussed were inspired from the Porsche Tequipment cage. The cages above are just a more robust version of the Tequipment cage.

Our manufacturing facility is also equipped with state of the art powder coating allowing us to custom powder coat your cage to any color you desire, usually within 24 to 48 hours depending on your color choice.

Cheers,
Greg"

Last edited by sharkster; 09-11-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Alex..... uh Greg, I didn't mean it as you guys were being copy cat. I don't even know who's RSS, ESR etc. Great bar and wish you the best.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CWay27
Hey Alex..... uh Greg, I didn't mean it as you guys were being copy cat. I don't even know who's RSS, ESR etc. Great bar and wish you the best.
Hey Cway27, no worries and thanks Sorry I just copied what he wrote on the other site as he was responding to someone else
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,354 Likes on 628 Posts

Cway..fyi- gmg doesn't build any of their stuff- they subcontract it all out- hence why this bar looks like theirs (and hence why lots of deliveries are mega delayed or cancelled)- same people make both I'm sure.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Just some info on the 997 Techquipment Pan Americana bar with the 996 GT3 seats and factory seat mounts.

The seat mounts collide with the bar, restricting rearwards movement.

The GMG bar is supposed to avoid this (I will find out this weekend).

If anyone wants a used 997 techquipment bar mine will be for sale next week $900obo.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey Alex, nice touch the lap belt mounting tabs on the ESR cage ... BTW how do you pull the steering wheel, same as in 993's using a Torx to pull the 2 screws to release the airbag then the 29mm hex to pull the nut? - with the battery disconnected of course!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Clubsport cage is still avaialble for RS. And has option for front half. Beautiful piece for any RS both for use and resale.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Just some info on the 997 Techquipment Pan Americana bar with the 996 GT3 seats and factory seat mounts.

The seat mounts collide with the bar, restricting rearwards movement.

The GMG bar is supposed to avoid this (I will find out this weekend).

If anyone wants a used 997 techquipment bar mine will be for sale next week $900obo.
Hi Larry, that's exactly why for stock seat the way this bar is vs the tequipment one, it allows for more room behind
Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Hey Alex, nice touch the lap belt mounting tabs on the ESR cage ... BTW how do you pull the steering wheel, same as in 993's using a Torx to pull the 2 screws to release the airbag then the 29mm hex to pull the nut? - with the battery disconnected of course!
Hey Larry it's basically like that ! You'll see when you get your head under there... and please do disconnect the -ive
Old 09-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

h'mmm I just took a closer look at my GMG bar prior to installing it ...

The problem I obtained it from Fabryce to solve is illustrated in the picture attached. (which he saw when he swore this would work)

The 996 GT3 seats on the factory mounts clip the bolt on the lower mounting
point and thus do not fully slide back ... which sucks if you have long legs as
cant get a good heel/toe angle.

Having just looked at the GMG bar, I am now doubting that it will make a damn bit of difference ... and it's a lot of work to take it out and put it back in!

Are there any good proctologists in Santa Ana Ca, with experience of roll bar (de)installation?

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Larry it's basically like that ! You'll see when you get your head under there... and please do disconnect the -ive
Hey Alex I just had a feel around there, on the 993 there were a couple of torx screws on either side of the column that retained the airbag, I dont feel those
on the 997 ...

I should probably not attempt this myself and just get you to do it ...

Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hi Larry, that's exactly why for stock seat the way this bar is vs the tequipment one, it allows for more room behind
Hey Alex, problem is the seat is not striking the bar, it's striking the bolt assy
where the bar mounts on the door sill ... (see picture in previous posting)

I dont think the GMG/ESR bar is going to be any better than the techquipment
bar at resolving this problem.

Have you seen this problem in other installs in 997's with 996 GT3 seats?

What puzzles me is why this problem does not exist on the 996's ...

sigh wy is nothing SIMPLE anymore
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,354 Likes on 628 Posts

my car does not have this problem and I've got the gmg bar and 996 buckets...weird

Quick Reply: Porsche Tequipment Roll Bar Alternative....