Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winch or wench? escape doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ordered a trailer dollie, electric engine, a power mover, ac6. supposedly can handle a 7000lb load like carrying a baby. i have to motor the trailer back thru the warehouse and noone likes reversing a trailer inside around your precious honies. so maybe this will help. maybe.
he adjusted the gearing since the load is so light compared to the torque of the engine so i'd have mor speed. a whotting 27 feet/minute!!! flying.

powermovers ac6. reviews to come, hopefully.

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Hoping i can gain some insight on the value of a winch in loading or unloading a 997 GT3(rs) from the trailer.. i've researched them a bunch and its seems some guys are mixed. some only use the winch. some driveup and then love an escape door.

a lot of times i find myself loading or unloading the cars by my lonesome which i dont love,but its do-able. i can hardly see much and am always stopping, e-braking, checking everything out, scootching forward a few feet, self-checking, etc.

so perhaps u dudes who use the winches can explain how you use them, how you hook them up, i assume on the tow hook? and a wireless control? how do you steer the car, from the side of it?

basically, i'd love to hear your experiences with the winch and your thoughts or suggestions.

and lastly, sounds like some guys love escape doors so they can swing the car door open when they are in the trailer. i dont see that happening with the gt3s given their low slung nature, but i believe one can get ramps that go over the wheel wells, ncie and wide that would ultimately become the "raised" flooirng for the car.

thx in advance.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winch yes!

for those who have years of trailering and winching, yeah, this is well known...but for those who havent used a winch before to load the car...whoah is that nice and convenient.

Had Performance Trailer in NJ load a nice 5k lb winch, took the wireless option for small money more. man, did that work nicely. got the rennline tow hook , hooked it up, drove the car to the extension ramps on the trailer door. hopped out, hooked up the winch cable. pushed the button, up she went, nice and steady, just perfect. i had to adjust teh wheel a smidge once, but man it was nice.

kind of freaky at first, this cable YANKING your honey bear on to the trailer. it was pretty smooth pulling but i was kind of nervous so would take my finger of the button a bit too much. then the comfort sank in and that beast got whipped up and on the trailer smooth as butter. what a difference! being outside the beast and watching it go up, being able to move around and see the wheels, the trailer wheel well clearances, etc. ...so nice. so happy. peace and love.

i had two issues:

1. when back it off, just hitting the "RELeASE" button on the wireless would slowly back the winch out and the car on the slope of the beavertail of the trailer would roll back. but it got 'stuck' where the door/ramp hinge connects the door to the trailer floor. i winched it back forward and let it out and tried pushing but that didnt work. ididnt want to have to hop in the car and drive it over the gap. so i just pushed HARD on the car from the window and rocked it, and got it over, but had to have slack in the cable to do that, and of course sonce over, the slack got taken out quick. seems just perfect, no concerns, but didnt like that cable getting a quick tension on it like that. nor the car. any thoughts on handling that better?

and 2.... they mounted the winch in the floor on the vnose, inside the lower cabinet and cut out a mouse hole kind fo thing, which was about as "tall"/high as could be. when the car was off the truck or on the ramp, no problem since the winch cable was pretty straight out the back, right in the middle of the hole...
yet as the car came forward, the angle of the cable was going UP from the winch down low, up to the tow hook on the bumper which now is up highand close to the winch.
the cable was rubbing pretty good against the bottom of the "mouse" hole they cut out. they cut it out and then surriounded it in alloy framing, which gave the cable something mroe smooth to rub against and , if it werent there, the cable would have chewed up the cabinet.

i could conceivably cut the hole a smidgeon taller, though there is only an inch or so till you get to the door that swings open.... or i could leave cabinet open and feed the cable out.

or i was thinking of some kind of pulley thing, a stick with a wheel on it, like a ski lift pole that changes the angle of the cable. i coul dmount it just outside the mouse hold and that will ensure the cable comes straight ouf of the cabinet hole, onto this pulley/wheel and then angles up.

anyway, winch a' go-go! thing works great. very happy since 90% of the time i load the car by myself.

Quick Reply: Winch or wench? escape doors