Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winch or wench? escape doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winch or wench? escape doors

Hoping i can gain some insight on the value of a winch in loading or unloading a 997 GT3(rs) from the trailer.. i've researched them a bunch and its seems some guys are mixed. some only use the winch. some driveup and then love an escape door.

a lot of times i find myself loading or unloading the cars by my lonesome which i dont love,but its do-able. i can hardly see much and am always stopping, e-braking, checking everything out, scootching forward a few feet, self-checking, etc.

so perhaps u dudes who use the winches can explain how you use them, how you hook them up, i assume on the tow hook? and a wireless control? how do you steer the car, from the side of it?

basically, i'd love to hear your experiences with the winch and your thoughts or suggestions.

and lastly, sounds like some guys love escape doors so they can swing the car door open when they are in the trailer. i dont see that happening with the gt3s given their low slung nature, but i believe one can get ramps that go over the wheel wells, ncie and wide that would ultimately become the "raised" flooirng for the car.

thx in advance.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I have a driver's side escape door in my enclosed trailer (20' Cargopro V-nose) and I have no issues with door clearance with a 964 Euro Cup.

I don't have a winch; I always drive the car in/out by myself.
As far as stopping goes, I simply use a reference mark on the door and line up with the opening of the escape door (once you figure out exactly where you want the car for tongue weight, balance, etc).
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winch: much easier on clutch and in case of mechanical retirement you can pull it into trailer. If you do winch please get wireless remote or long cord remote to allow winching behind the car. You do not want to be standing over or near the cable if it breaks I have put a piece of green racers tape on the floor at the stop point of my rear wheel. Have key in position 2 to keep wheel unlocked, fold in mirrors and whilst standing behind car walk it up the ramp making minor corrections if needed. Once you have done it a few times very little steering input is needed. Leave car in N strap down 4 corners and away you go.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

what youre connecting to? tow hook on the front bumper? any issues that its offset to one side of the car?
Originally Posted by Christian20
Winch: much easier on clutch and in case of mechanical retirement you can pull it into trailer. If you do winch please get wireless remote or long cord remote to allow winching behind the car. You do not want to be standing over or near the cable if it breaks I have put a piece of green racers tape on the floor at the stop point of my rear wheel. Have key in position 2 to keep wheel unlocked, fold in mirrors and whilst standing behind car walk it up the ramp making minor corrections if needed. Once you have done it a few times very little steering input is needed. Leave car in N strap down 4 corners and away you go.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

OEM tow hook position, and while it is not centered it pulls the car in fairly straight with very little corrections. Takes about 3 minutes on winch to get in trailer.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I always used the wench. But after a few track events the wife got tired of pushing the car in and quit on me. So I drove the car in. THAT is hard on the clutch though and I would advise going back to the winch.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

I have an open trailer and sometimes drive on, sometimes winch. I located my winch on a small platform and centered on the tow hook location. I use a 3700# Warn winch and it has a 12' remote. The winch prices don't go up a whole lot with capacity and a disabled car could take a lot of effort to get it onto the trailer. I sometimes set the Ebrake to drag a bit if the trailer is inclined forward so the car won't roll on its own. I have inclined stops that the tires bump into.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

see, now we're talking. i knew utilizing the word "wench" would bring about some good stuff. ....

ok, so the trailer shop is putting in a wench today for me. not too bad of an upgraded expense. they were gonig to do an infloor unit, but since i have a VNose, and since he kind of though the onfloor ones might be better, thats the route we're gong to go. and while its there, they are upgrading the tires to some nice michelin radials. got them to come pick it up , haul it back, and i'll grab it sunday.

this whole car things is a slipperly slope. good thing that all you car guys arent compulsive obsessive.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I always used the wench. But after a few track events the wife got tired of pushing the car in and quit on me. So I drove the car in. THAT is hard on the clutch though and I would advise going back to the winch.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

do anyone make better tow hooks for the pcars? maybe with a bigger eyelet. the winch i looked at had a hook that was a bit big i though for the eyelet on the hook.

Originally Posted by Christian20
OEM tow hook position, and while it is not centered it pulls the car in fairly straight with very little corrections. Takes about 3 minutes on winch to get in trailer.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
do anyone make better tow hooks for the pcars? maybe with a bigger eyelet. the winch i looked at had a hook that was a bit big i though for the eyelet on the hook.
I have the rennline one and like it... I have not used it yet...

I had an off that involved the factory tow hook and then I bought the rennline.

they will PC it black if you ask them to..
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I always used the wench. But after a few track events the wife got tired of pushing the car in and quit on me.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Rennline tow hooks front and rear. The OEM tow hook really doesn't have a large enough hole for many of the tow truck hooks, or so I have been told.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default Trailer dollies?

you guys have any experienced with Trailer dollies such as

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

the above Power Mover was recommended to me. my big problem is getting that 8x20 in the right spot in the warehouse. the open trailer was so light i could man handle it pretty readily. but that enclosed, even though aluminum and i believe only like 2600 lbs is a bear in getting it to do what you want.

the dude selling these dollies told me without hesitation, with his dollies, i could turn that thing 90degrees on a dime.
effortless.

anyone use his products, or something similar?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:25 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Not that product but we put a ball on a fork lift and effectively do the same. DUDE is correct that it will turn on a "dime" but a better question is does he look like a lady............
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
you guys have any experienced with Trailer dollies such as

http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html

the above Power Mover was recommended to me. my big problem is getting that 8x20 in the right spot in the warehouse. the open trailer was so light i could man handle it pretty readily. but that enclosed, even though aluminum and i believe only like 2600 lbs is a bear in getting it to do what you want.

the dude selling these dollies told me without hesitation, with his dollies, i could turn that thing 90degrees on a dime.
effortless.

anyone use his products, or something similar?
If you don't have a forklift to put a ball on you can also use this. ...

On level ground or in a building the trailer is easy to move around even if it is a couple thousand pounds.

Quick Reply: Winch or wench? escape doors