Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 Seats - any track experience yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT2 Seats - any track experience yet?

I called my dealer and he had a car in stock with the new GT2 seats installed. So I went to see them because I'd like a set in cloth for my GT3. Some thoughts...

Thought they were extremely comfortable, just the right width and angle (rake), but the shoulder belt holes were a little low. I think for me it would probably work, but if you are tall and / or have a long torso, they could be a problem. Another issue is the lap belt hole - it's pretty tight for a 3" belt, especially the way this was set up with the receiver for the stock 3-point coming up through it. Can't see how you could adequately route your 3" lap without conflicting. Thought the seat back angle was too upright and / or the part of the seat behind the helmet too "close" - I didn't have my helmet, but knew from experience that I'd end up with my helmet against the headrest and be somewhat looking "down".

I'd really appreciate any input from people that have used these on the track with 6-point belts. Best case scenario is if anyone in CT or nearby has a set of these seats in a 997 with roll bar and harnesses - at least then I could get a better sense if this is going to work for me.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you'll ever find them in cloth cause it's not their purpose to be a "race" seat but rather a super sport one. As for the lap belts, I always found that strange to see the receptacle through the lap belt hole and assume it would rub against your hip. Anyhow I think those seats would work best with 2" quick fit belts.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWay27
I don't think you'll ever find them in cloth cause it's not their purpose to be a "race" seat but rather a super sport one.
They are available in fire resistant cloth.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 PM
hatchback
Advanced

I'm also interested to hear if anyone was able to route a 6 point harness through the 2009 gt2 sport seats, and whether the seats plus compatible with a HANS device.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

nomex cloth= stinky after a few miles or in the heat...alcantara smells better.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I don't think you'll ever find them in cloth cause it's not their purpose to be a "race" seat but rather a super sport one. As for the lap belts, I always found that strange to see the receptacle through the lap belt hole and assume it would rub against your hip. Anyhow I think those seats would work best with 2" quick fit belts.
suncoast porsche either have them now or they are coming in cloth. i spoke with them a month ago. leather is about 8-9k a pair and they told me cloth is significantly cheaper. i dont what what "significantly" means in this context.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Guys, are we talking about the same seats?? Suncoast sells the set in leather for 6795$ and not 8K$. You are right on the availability for cloth but I had herd otherwise not too long ago.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Guys, are we talking about the same seats?? Suncoast sells the set in leather for 6795$ and not 8K$. You are right on the availability for cloth but I had herd otherwise not too long ago.
i am sure we are talking the same seats.
when i was quoted the price, they dont have the seats yet, they told me it will not be more than 8-9k. so they are right. 7k it sounds like. that's a pretty good bargain for those who needs access to rear of the cabin and side airbag.

they are very comfy on street too. not sure enough bolstering on track.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:44 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron - what seats do you have now? The 996 GT3 seats in leather? if so, spend $500 and get alcantara cushion covers...better than cloth and grippier. Save rest of the money.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The car is bone stock from the factory other than alignment and Yellows. I've tried many seats and have owned 2 sets of shells in one of my previous cars. I really like the idea of OEM and the thorax airbag for street use as well as the forward folding design to access the rear area. I'll just have to bring my helmet and hans to the dealer tomorrow to try it in their car that has the GT2 seats and figure out if the fit is going to work. As to price, I think I was quoted around $5900 shipped for Nomex and $1k more for leather...
Old 09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
hatchback
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonCT
The car is bone stock from the factory other than alignment and Yellows. I've tried many seats and have owned 2 sets of shells in one of my previous cars. I really like the idea of OEM and the thorax airbag for street use as well as the forward folding design to access the rear area. I'll just have to bring my helmet and hans to the dealer tomorrow to try it in their car that has the GT2 seats and figure out if the fit is going to work. As to price, I think I was quoted around $5900 shipped for Nomex and $1k more for leather...
Eagerly awaiting your report....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

are the gt2 seats the same as gt3 euro seats except for the tilt foward feature? Do they come in carbon backs or black?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
are the gt2 seats the same as gt3 euro seats except for the tilt foward feature? Do they come in carbon backs or black?
No. Completely different designs. The GT3/Carrera GT seats are 1 piece carbon. They are VERY light and very stiff. The GT2 seats are fiberglass with a carbon outer shell.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default gt2 seats

Originally Posted by XSpeedFreakX
No. Completely different designs. The GT3/Carrera GT seats are 1 piece carbon. They are VERY light and very stiff. The GT2 seats are fiberglass with a carbon outer shell.

thanks for info.....

much difference in weight? i assume this is why carrera gt seats cost more then the GT2 seats??

Any of you guys running 5 point harness on any of the above mentioned seats?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
redpackage
Advanced

I have three track days in the new GT2 and the seats are fantastic. I'm 6'2" and use a 5 point harness with HANS. I've put in the roll bar and have run the car with both MPSCs and Hoosiers. These seats are the best, IMHO, that Porsche has ever shipped. If I could, I would equip all of my cars, including the CGT with these seats. They are much better than the stock seats in my RS and better than the Recaro racing seat I tracked in the CGT. It's true the belt holes are a little low. I had some slip on my old HANS device (no lip), so I just bought the new HANS and am replacing the 5 point harness with a new 6 point with narrow shoulder belts and trust this will keep everything in place. I have wide shoulders and run up to 1 hour sessions on the track and these seats hold very well. Thigh grip is great and the shoulder grip is as good as anything I've had. I've never ben more comfortable nor have I had a better seating position at the track. The stock GT2 suspension needs help but the seats do not.

Quick Reply: GT2 Seats - any track experience yet?