Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 car lift issues, too low

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 car lift issues, too low

Well, i figured id see what the more experienced, smarter folk are doing to solve this issue.

went to put the GT3RS on the mohawk A7 lift and the long arm which goes under the lift point near the rear wheel just cleared fine. i have small pads on the lift, for low clearance, and then i use a hockey puck once its underneath for the jack point contact. but it was tight. tighter than any other car i had put on there, but i got it under.

then i rotated the front arm. no way. no even close. wouldnt clear at all.

so with that preamble, the question is: what should i do to get the car up a bit, something i can drive onto which would still let those arms rotoate out. thus , it hink unless im missing smoething, that ramps that go in line, parrallel to the car wouldnt work as the arms would hit them as you rotate them under the car.

i was thinking something like a 4x8 , perpendicular to the axels, right under hte wheels so you drive forward, and both wheels would be propped up by a 4x8 (double wide 2 x4) yet the middle would be open.

could angle the front and back edges since the car would have to hvae its front wheels go up over and down the first set and then both up and on the second set.

i guess you could slide them in and out once the car is just shy of position, get it close. get out, slide the wood under, and drive up both wheels.

does someone sell something like that? how's my thinking?

fyi, check out my image.
sweet use of MSPaint with a mouse!
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey spg993tt,

I see that you're in Northern NJ, are you a member of NNJR? They're having a tech inspection session Monday (9/8) from 6-8PM at the Audi of Bernardsville service facility on Old Quarry Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...603cbf64f&z=19

At the last inspection we had several (lowered) GT3's show up and there were several makeshift wood ramps used to get those cars up on the lift. I understand the club has purchased some PVC ramps over the summer to help with this problem at the tech sessions.

Come on out Monday evening to check out how they do it, you don't have to be a member just to visit and hang out. I'll be in the Meteor Gray Cayman S probably drooling over the GT3's.

-Pete
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this from Rennline:

http://www.rennline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=T02

Nice drawing, by the way....

Last edited by chardonet; 05-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
sheim911rs
Intermediate

cut 2X12 sections ~2 ft long and angle the cuts 45 degrees to aid driving onto the boards. then you can do whatever you need to with the lift. The 2 ft long sections are also easier to take with you if the need arises. Good luck
Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly. 2" Tall 12" Wide and 2 foot long wood boards. The four tires will be on top of these boards, leaving the area between the front and rear wheels free for the swing arms.

You can leave the wood boards permanently (glued underneath) as it helps with your other cars, in this case use 20" wide to accommodate wider and narrower car tracks. Use your longest and shortest car wheelbase to determine the position of the four boards so it works for all your cars.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:24 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

thx dudes. i tried it just now, worked great with the 2 x 8s i had. i'll try to find something wider, though its nothing much bigger than the pcar tires. and, i only had to use ONE plank under the front tires closest to the steel posts from which the arms protrude. that raised the front up nice, and on an angle , i got a little more room under the back.

thx a ton.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Exactly. 2" Tall 12" Wide and 2 foot long wood boards. The four tires will be on top of these boards, leaving the area between the front and rear wheels free for the swing arms.

You can leave the wood boards permanently (glued underneath) as it helps with your other cars, in this case use 20" wide to accommodate wider and narrower car tracks. Use your longest and shortest car wheelbase to determine the position of the four boards so it works for all your cars.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

obviously i was the guy who sat there going , "geez, i could be a professional artist, maybe i ought to draw one of those roadrunner self-mailing art school by correspondence post cards"...but in going back to look at my photo, i actually kind of like it. 3 d infact. angling away from you. then again, unless a RS has spider like legs and can climb a wall, the perspective is off a tad.

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Well, i figured id see what the more experienced, smarter folk are doing to solve this issue.

went to put the GT3RS on the mohawk A7 lift and the long arm which goes under the lift point near the rear wheel just cleared fine. i have small pads on the lift, for low clearance, and then i use a hockey puck once its underneath for the jack point contact. but it was tight. tighter than any other car i had put on there, but i got it under.

then i rotated the front arm. no way. no even close. wouldnt clear at all.

so with that preamble, the question is: what should i do to get the car up a bit, something i can drive onto which would still let those arms rotoate out. thus , it hink unless im missing smoething, that ramps that go in line, parrallel to the car wouldnt work as the arms would hit them as you rotate them under the car.

i was thinking something like a 4x8 , perpendicular to the axels, right under hte wheels so you drive forward, and both wheels would be propped up by a 4x8 (double wide 2 x4) yet the middle would be open.

could angle the front and back edges since the car would have to hvae its front wheels go up over and down the first set and then both up and on the second set.

i guess you could slide them in and out once the car is just shy of position, get it close. get out, slide the wood under, and drive up both wheels.

does someone sell something like that? how's my thinking?

fyi, check out my image.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spg993tt
fyi, check out my image.
You are quite the artist

Quick Reply: GT3 car lift issues, too low